Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2013, 01:03 PM

50 posts, read 258,888 times

Advertisements

I'm taking a job in silver spring, we're moving to the area in Oct. and trying to figure out where to live. I'd like a reasonable commute (<1 hr) as I have a toddler and want to spend time with him in the evenings. We're looking for a 2BR in the range of $1400-1800.

We'd like to be outside the city, ideally somewhere that's walkable, has green space, and is not too over-developed, if possible. We don't really want to live amid sprawl. W
e're crunchy but don't need to live around other liberal people and we're not averse to living in a racially diverse community.

We've heard Takoma Park is great but based on our it seems out of our price range for anything decent, so I'm wondering:

Does Silver Spring have a nice downtown area? Are there are parts of Silver Spring that are more walkable -- less highrises, more trees etc?

If we're not in Takoma Park or Silver Spring, we're thinking it would be good to be on the MARC line that stops in silver spring - the Brunswick line. So we're thinking about Germantown or Gaithersburg (since Rockville seems too pricey).

What are the differences between
Germantown and Gaithersburg in terms of character - green space, walkability, sprawl? Anything to recommend one over the other?

Thanks in advance,
J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 04:07 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,942,338 times
There are a few places. One is downtown silver spring which is nice.
Also less high rises and more trees do not make a place walkable. From an urban planning perspective less density makes a place less walkable and more sprawl like. Greenspace is deceptive and usually leads to increased automobile usage, I highly suggest you look into transit oriented design. Silver spring is a model TOD city, it has a dense downtown area surrounded by communities which are within walking distance of the downtown. Increased density and less infill means less sprawl. With that being said there are neighborhoods surrounding the downtown area. I should note there is a large swath of unincorporated silver spring away from the downtown area north of the city. THAT is what sprawl is, spread out communities that require driving everywhere. Downtown Silver Spring though is mostly high rises, but you may be able to find a house in one of the neighborhoods near by. I have walked from them to downtown silver spring. They are neighboorhoods with lots of tree cover, but they can be rather expensive houses.
I would avoid gaithersburg, that is suburban sprawl, you have to drive everywhere. You are not only looking at the marc line, but also the metro and bus lines. Gaithersburg is way out of town. I would avoid it altogether. Germantown or Wheaton is not bad though.

Germantown would probably be your best bet outside of silver spring because it is on the same side of the red line. This is kind of critical, but in ways you probably will not get until you are here.

You may also want to check out the northern neighborhoods of DC such as Takoma. They are actually a bit less concrete than downtown silver spring. I am buying a house in Takoma.

I think Takoma Park would be what you would be most happy with though. But it is way out of your price range. In fact most of the DC area is.

With that being said DC area is rather dense in general. But the neighborhoods can be nice. I would just avoid gaithersburg and look at metro proximity.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:05 PM

2,081 posts, read 3,553,771 times
This is a forum for the city. If you want to be outside the city, you should start a thread on the separate forum for the Washington DC Maryland suburbs.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:58 AM

13,323 posts, read 26,782,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hda4 View Post
We're looking for a 2BR in the range of $1400-1800......
Does Silver Spring have a nice downtown area? Are there are parts of Silver Spring that are more walkable -- less highrises, more trees etc?
In another thread, I recommended the Four Corners area of Silver Spring (20901). That's around the junction of Colesville Road (29) and University Blvd. There are a few apartments, and occasionally a small house in your price range. It consists of mid-century brick houses with lots of big trees. It is somewhat walkable, in that you could walk to the Trader Joes or Safeway, and a couple of restaurants. You are close to Sligo Creek park, it's only a couple miles to downtown Silver Spring, and you have great bus service.

We started our careers there in the 70's, renting a tiny house on Gilmoure Drive and it was a a very pleasant time.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:36 PM

195 posts, read 471,749 times
Give the City of Hyattsville a look, too. Parks and green space, as well as good bike trail connections into the city and other parks; lots of families with young kids; fairly walkable, depending where you are; two Metro stations (Green Line, but you'd be one stop to the Red and then two stops going against the flow to Silver Spring); diverse and friendly community.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:22 PM

153 posts, read 304,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCR25 View Post
Give the City of Hyattsville a look, too. Parks and green space, as well as good bike trail connections into the city and other parks; lots of families with young kids; fairly walkable, depending where you are; two Metro stations (Green Line, but you'd be one stop to the Red and then two stops going against the flow to Silver Spring); diverse and friendly community.

I second this suggestion. Plus you'll be super close to scenic bike trails and kayaking (which I saw on your other post you are interested in).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland