Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 11:29 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,720,263 times

Advertisements

What a ridiculous thread. The OP is practically dripping with bigotry and devoid of fact or reasoning. Poverty is suburbanizing everywhere in the United States, thanks to the "Back to the City" movement and the higher costs of living in cities.

According to a GMU study, the minority population is booming everywhere in the DC Area. Prince George's, Fairfax, and Alexandria have all seen their white populations decline over the past 5 years, and the same three counties plus PW and Loudoun have seen 30%+ Hispanic population growth. Prince William and Arlington have also 20%+ African-American population growth.

Calling a locale "bland" and "diversity stricken" at the same time is contradictory, and if you have a problem with liberals that's your own personal issue and you can always leave. The DC Area clearly isn't for you (at least not this side of the Potomac or even Arlington/Alexandria/Fairfax). Meanwhile the rest of us can suffer in Montgomery County with its top 15/3,000 median income, nation-leading schools, and excellent public services.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:38 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
What a ridiculous thread. The OP is practically dripping with bigotry and devoid of fact or reasoning. Poverty is suburbanizing everywhere in the United States, thanks to the "Back to the City" movement and the higher costs of living in cities.

According to a GMU study, the minority population is booming everywhere in the DC Area. Prince George's, Fairfax, and Alexandria have all seen their white populations decline over the past 5 years, and the same three counties plus PW and Loudoun have seen 30%+ Hispanic population growth. Prince William and Arlington have also 20%+ African-American population growth.

Calling a locale "bland" and "diversity stricken" at the same time is contradictory, and if you have a problem with liberals that's your own personal issue and you can always leave. The DC Area clearly isn't for you (at least not this side of the Potomac or even Arlington/Alexandria/Fairfax). Meanwhile the rest of us can suffer in Montgomery County with its top 15/3,000 median income, nation-leading schools, and excellent public services.
This.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:35 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post

You show nothing useful in this post. Are we supposed to dismiss the facts put forth in the OP just because "every" county surrounding DC is seeing White Flight? What reasonable argument can be made from that? Absolutely NOTHING until you can show us that the decrease in white populations has been a net benefit to those counties in contrast to Montgomery County.....which as I pointed out is seeing a net negative from such a shift. What a very weak argument you put forth.....it does nothing to rebut anything I wrote in the OP.

And if tit for tat is your expertise.....then I should point out that I actually live in a county that tops Montgomery in all of the indicators (income, schools, etc.) you like to throw around. Comparatively, yes, your county is "suffering."

Old 11-12-2013, 03:37 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
This.
No. Not "this." He proved nothing. Read the post above and try your darndest to rebut anything put forth in the OP. So far, you have failed miserably.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
No. Not "this." He proved nothing. Read the post above and try your darndest to rebut anything put forth in the OP. So far, you have failed miserably.
Oh my gosh, I "failed" at my "darndest" to comprehend what I already know about you based on your OP. I find it amusing that this forum seems to revolve around your life It would be quite fascinating if it weren't for you disgusting and vague OP. You pointed out to me that because I "failed" on this thread, I probably might "fail" at life

Here's a gift to you for all your troubles:

And get used to seeing MoCo and the rest of the DC area looking like this too:

I'm done with you, adios. End thread/

Happy belated Christmas

Old 11-12-2013, 04:22 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
The initial post was factually correct, that's undisputable. But it doesn't paint the whole picture and actually is misleading. The effects of the recession were TOTALLY ignored by your post when it's a massive factor.

Before the recession, poverty rates were continuing to decrease even with the continued diversification of MoCo. Here is an excerpt from an article that proves that-

Suburban Poverty Profiles: Montgomery County, Maryland | Brookings Institution

Once the economic recovery starts to kick into full-gear, it is a FAIR expectation that the poverty rate will continue to decrease as it was doing before the recession crisis. There's no reason for it not to.

Plus, even with the recession, it's been fairing much better than the rest of the state&nation. In 2011, only 6% of the population lived under the poverty line compared to a state average of 9% and a national average of over 14%. lol, some of your theories are just apocalyptic and unrealistic:
Montgomery County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Maryland QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
I don't know, is Montgomery County still in a recession? Are they still declining economically? I don't see how your point is being proven here. If Montgomery County was still economically declining and the poverty rate was increasing then the direct correlation would be clear, but from my understanding, economic decline has level off.

If you look at this chart here:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Mont...-US%3Aofficial

The unemployment rate had an exponential increase during the recession but now, it is clearly up and down, yet the poverty rate is steadily increasing.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
I don't know, is Montgomery County still in a recession? Are they still declining economically? I don't see how your point is being proven here. If Montgomery County was still economically declining and the poverty rate was increasing then the direct correlation would be clear, but from my understanding, economic decline has level off.

If you look at this chart here:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Mont...-US%3Aofficial

The unemployment rate had an exponential increase during the recession but now, it is clearly up and down, yet the poverty rate is steadily increasing.
The current housing market in MoCo seems like another indicator that the recession there has since leveled off as well it seems.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:32 PM

Why do we keep having people hurling insults in this thread without providing anything to support their opinion. If you disagree with the OP why not, show him why you believe he's wrong. I just don't see how name calling and insults is productive. This is how a lot of threads like this get derailed. Why can't people express their opinions without being disrespectful, even if you perceive that the OP is being disrespectful?

Old 11-12-2013, 04:53 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,638,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
Why do we keep having people hurling insults in this thread without providing anything to support their opinion. If you disagree with the OP why not, show him why you believe he's wrong. I just don't see how name calling and insults is productive. This is how a lot of threads like this get derailed. Why can't people express their opinions without being disrespectful, even if you perceive that the OP is being disrespectful?
The OP takes data and comes up with his own assumption without any evidence to disagree with. What did you expect was going to happen?

Old 11-12-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
The OP takes data and comes up with his own assumption without any evidence to disagree with. What did you expect was going to happen?
I have seen some ridiculous things on here, but it's either I'm going to make my point to refute it or leave the conversation alone. Insulting someone is pointless. It's just ridiculous, how many threads get derailed because people do this. I'm not even saying you have to agree with him, but goodness, the best you can come up with making fun of the OP? I mean why bother? Why even waste your time entertain something you have no intention of arguing over?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland