Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2015, 07:23 AM

1,261 posts, read 692,686 times

Advertisements

Looks great, but I still say they put the Metro stop in the wrong place.....that said, I have no idea how a decision was reached on where to locate it or why....

When I was at U of m, I didnt have a car....so walkable amenities were a must. Maybe times are differnt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 07:40 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Rock View Post
Looks great, but I still say they put the Metro stop in the wrong place.....that said, I have no idea how a decision was reached on where to locate it or why....

When I was at U of m, I didnt have a car....so walkable amenities were a must. Maybe times are differnt?
I think everyone from the city of College Park to the University and beyond agrees that the current location of the metro stop lacked foresight. That decision was made decades ago. I think the current city and university leadership is moving in the right direction. In addition, the Purple Line will more than rectify the mistake in putting the Green Line a mile from the center of campus.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:34 AM

Default University of Maryland Research Park Named Top in the Nation

This should help bring more companies to M-Square in addition to more research dollars. Positive exposure brings interest.

Quote:
The University of Maryland Research Park has been honored as the Association of University Research Parks’ 2015 Outstanding Research Park. Presented today at the AURP Annual Awards of Excellence, this award recognizes the achievements of outstanding university research parks and those who direct them, and encourages the development of best practices.

The M Square Research Park is a public-private partnership between the University of Maryland and Corporate Office Properties Trust. UMD works with all Research Park companies to provide synergistic and collaborative opportunities. The Research Park offers locations from incubator space for start up companies to build-to-suit options for larger technology clients.
University of Maryland Research Park Named Top in the Nation | UMD Right Now :: University of Maryland

Old 10-01-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I think everyone from the city of College Park to the University and beyond agrees that the current location of the metro stop lacked foresight. That decision was made decades ago. I think the current city and university leadership is moving in the right direction. In addition, the Purple Line will more than rectify the mistake in putting the Green Line a mile from the center of campus.
I think I drove in there once, a long time ago. But it appears all they are doing is building a mini city at the metro stop. In a perfect world, it would have been nice if the students could walk there, as well as Staff. Staff housing is an issue....or was

Old 10-01-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Rock View Post
I think I drove in there once, a long time ago. But it appears all they are doing is building a mini city at the metro stop. In a perfect world, it would have been nice if the students could walk there, as well as Staff. Staff housing is an issue....or was
WEll, now they can walk to three different Purple Line stops.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
WEll, now they can walk to three different Purple Line stops.
Lots going on there, the powers that be took their time over the years to approve new development. I just hope they had a vision of what the town looks like in 5-10 years....not just building here, building there...but a nice community tastefully done

Old 10-01-2015, 10:51 AM

282 posts, read 322,330 times
So how many parcels are up for bid for development at the metro? Is there just one or more than one? Also is there a timeline for announcing the winning bidder(s). Will be interested in seeing what ideas tge development community sees with that area. This residential announce my today should help make the other parcel(s) more attractive.

Old 10-01-2015, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyRoma View Post
So how many parcels are up for bid for development at the metro? Is there just one or more than one? Also is there a timeline for announcing the winning bidder(s). Will be interested in seeing what ideas tge development community sees with that area. This residential announce my today should help make the other parcel(s) more attractive.
There are three other parcels next to the tennis club. Winning bidders haven't been picked yet.

http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...n-college.html

Old 10-02-2015, 02:09 PM

Ronald D. Paul Companies, led by Eagle Bancorp Inc. (NASDAQ: EGBN) President and CEO Ron Paul, will lead a development team that has signed a letter of intent to lease University of Maryland, College Park property and develop a 370-unit housing and retail community.

The project, planned for 4301 River Road, will be part of the university’s growing research park area adjacent to the College Park-University of Maryland Metro station and proposed Purple Line stations.

The project will include 5,000 square feet of retail and 395 parking spaces. The five-story residential building will be above a garage.
Plans also include a bridge over the Metro and MARC rail lines to link the research park to the adjacent Whole Foods Market-anchored development.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:34 AM

New College Park Economic Development Coordinator Randall Toussaint is on board.

Quote:
Schum said Toussaint was hired from a group of about 80 applicants and that his decade-plus of experience working in economic development for city and county governments separated him from the rest.
Toussaint previously worked as the vice president of economic development for the Cumming-Forsyth County Chamber of Commerce in Forsyth County, Georgia, named the seventh-fastest-growing community in America by Forbes Magazine in 2013.
Jason Mock, a former colleague of Toussaint’s and the director of small business services for the Cumming-Forsyth County Chamber of Commerce, said the city of College Park is in good hands.
“He believes in growing businesses and making businesses stronger,” Mock said. “He is very passionate about bringing the community up. I can tell you, College Park is very blessed to have Randall Toussaint in your community, working hard for the people there.”
Randall Toussaint becomes city's economic development coordinator - The Diamondback : News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland