U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2021, 06:59 PM

18,567 posts, read 7,133,140 times

Advertisements

crime and poor schools, tough place to raise a family.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2021, 09:34 PM

32 posts, read 27,167 times
I've lived in Prince George's County 37 years. Count me among those very seriously considering leaving. I'm almost there. The only thing holding me back is the thought of packing up 37 years worth of stuff. The quality of life in the county continues to decline. The county is dirty. Litter in the streets abd parks. Mattresses dumped wherever. Overcrowded housing. Too many lawns unmowed. People remove their front lawns, pour concrete and load it up with cars. County does nothing. No enforcement of the County housing code. People creating apartments in basements without permits and inspections. More overcrowding of houses. So many cars parked at the crowded houses that the streets look like DC instead of a suburb. People blasting music. Overcrowding means trash bins are overrun with trash, so much so that they can't be closed. Waste management company drops trash and recycling in the streets and doesn't make any effort to pick it up. Waste management company bangs around the bins until they are broken. I don't know where all our tax money is going because it certainly isn't improving the quality of our lives. School system underperforms and spends money settling lawsuits instead of educating children. Too much crime. Gangs. Slumlords who are purposely letting apartment communities deteriorate. Investors buying single family homes and renting them so that a young family is challenged to buy their first home. Limited fine dining. No upper tier retail. Name brand retail looks like a discount/off-price store. For me at the top of the list of reasons to leave is the lack of enforcement of the county code of ordinances. People do whatever they want cause no authority is going to stop them. Too many neighborhoods are in the throes of ghettoization. Life is not commensurate with the taxes we pay.

Old 04-20-2021, 06:27 AM

18,567 posts, read 7,133,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCBornAndRaised View Post
I've lived in Prince George's County 37 years. Count me among those very seriously considering leaving. I'm almost there. The only thing holding me back is the thought of packing up 37 years worth of stuff. The quality of life in the county continues to decline. The county is dirty. Litter in the streets abd parks. Mattresses dumped wherever. Overcrowded housing. Too many lawns unmowed. People remove their front lawns, pour concrete and load it up with cars. County does nothing. No enforcement of the County housing code. People creating apartments in basements without permits and inspections. More overcrowding of houses. So many cars parked at the crowded houses that the streets look like DC instead of a suburb. People blasting music. Overcrowding means trash bins are overrun with trash, so much so that they can't be closed. Waste management company drops trash and recycling in the streets and doesn't make any effort to pick it up. Waste management company bangs around the bins until they are broken. I don't know where all our tax money is going because it certainly isn't improving the quality of our lives. School system underperforms and spends money settling lawsuits instead of educating children. Too much crime. Gangs. Slumlords who are purposely letting apartment communities deteriorate. Investors buying single family homes and renting them so that a young family is challenged to buy their first home. Limited fine dining. No upper tier retail. Name brand retail looks like a discount/off-price store. For me at the top of the list of reasons to leave is the lack of enforcement of the county code of ordinances. People do whatever they want cause no authority is going to stop them. Too many neighborhoods are in the throes of ghettoization. Life is not commensurate with the taxes we pay.
it's a hellhole no doubt.

Old 04-20-2021, 07:49 AM

17,529 posts, read 8,954,091 times
Quote:
Pretty much, ...this!

Old 04-20-2021, 05:05 PM

39 posts, read 36,457 times
Quote:
I concur with this. This statement is on point. I would like to add a couple of more things. The customer service in establishments is terrible. It's also hard to find quality grocery stories with quality food such as produce, fruit, etc. Stores also tend to be out of stock of a lot of things.

Old 04-20-2021, 06:03 PM

2,296 posts, read 1,282,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcitynewme View Post
I concur with this. This statement is on point. I would like to add a couple of more things. The customer service in establishments is terrible. It's also hard to find quality grocery stories with quality food such as produce, fruit, etc. Stores also tend to be out of stock of a lot of things.
Even in Harris Teeter, Wegmans, Whole Foods, CostCo?

Old 04-20-2021, 07:05 PM

39 posts, read 36,457 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
Even in Harris Teeter, Wegmans, Whole Foods, CostCo?
Sometimes even in those places too.

Here is a recent one star Google review from the Whole Foods in Riverdale which was given 6 days ago. Here it is:

This is a third rate Whole Foods.
Every time I have told the customer service desk about a problem I have gotten the same BS response they wrote below They do not carry a diverse selection of foods compared to other Whole Food Stores of the same size. They are often out if stock of sale items while other locations have supply. In the past they "lost" special order items or declined to order them while other. locations were easy to provide products. I prefer to shop other locations and avoid using this store unless I have to.

Last edited by newcitynewme; 04-20-2021 at 07:17 PM..

Old 04-22-2021, 04:16 PM

About the Riverdale Whole Foods... I thought it was just me. I concluded that because of the pandemic and all of the staffers in the aisles filling orders, there was insufficient stock on the shelves. I've not been to the Whole Foods I shopped regularly - Silver Spring - before this store opened, so I have no comparison. You are right though, often the shelves are empty. I mean really empty. I have also noticed that the sell-by date on milk is within a week or so if I were to purchase it, so I rarely buy milk at the Riverdale Store.

Old 04-22-2021, 04:43 PM

41,526 posts, read 54,102,989 times
Quote:
About the Riverdale Whole Foods... I thought it was just me. I concluded that because of the pandemic and all of the staffers in the aisles filling orders, there was insufficient stock on the shelves. I've not been to the Whole Foods I shopped regularly - Silver Spring - before this store opened, so I have no comparison. You are right though, often the shelves are empty. I mean really empty. I have also noticed that the sell-by date on milk is within a week or so if I were to purchase it, so I rarely buy milk at the Riverdale Store.
Not just Whole Foods. The Upper Marlboro Giant (Marlboro Crossroads on 301 just south of 4) got to be like that, too, as did the Safeway at the end of Croom Rd. on 301.

So I stopped shopping at both of them even though they were more convenient to stop at going home than going to the ones in Dunkirk. In all honesty there was another, larger, reason but the paucity of groceries at the stores pushed me over the edge to changing.

I also worked with people who lived in Upper Marlboro who stopped shopping at those nearby stores and went to Dunkirk instead.

Old 04-22-2021, 04:51 PM

I've lived in Prince George's County but worked in Montgomery County for most of my professional life. I live one block from Montgomerry County so for the most part most of the retail I visit is in Montgomery County. That's very easy. Bottom line though is I live in Prince George's County and the quality of life here continues to detriorate, especially inside the beltway, so I'm not sure how much longer I can hold out because the issues in the county are larger than just retail options. For the longest it's been tolerable for me becuase I spend so much of my life and money in Montgomery County I was OK. Not any more. Why can't we have nice things?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland