Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 10:20 PM

64 posts, read 120,958 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am looking for some insight on La Plata and Waldorf. I am moving to the area and will be working at the Indian Head base. From what soon to be co-workers have told me, they recommend living in either Waldorf or La Plata. However after reading posts on here and from speaking to people, La Plata seems much more desirable of an area. I am 27, my fiancé is 25 and we are expecting our first child any day now basically. La Plata seems to be a bit more rural, less crime and not as busy as Waldorf. It also seems close enough to still be able to go into Alexandria etc on a weekend if you wanted to make the trip in for the day.

Can anyone recommend La Plata or Waldorf compared to one or the other? We are looking for a decent area to live, safe, not desolate but not crowded and cramped either. As I mentioned I will be working in Indian Head so any recommendations would be appreciated. Looking for an area that still has stuff to do like a gym, community events etc.

Please weigh in!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 12:15 PM

4,370 posts, read 7,018,082 times
Indian Head has lost some of the character and community cohesiveness it used to have, since all the residents now do their major shopping and dining in Waldorf or in LaPlata. Indian Head does have a park the "village green" with occasional festivals, a little-theater, and a new 12-mile recreational rail-trail.

LaPlata has some downtown charm, with the court house, community little-theater, the expanded hospital, farmers market, downtown churches, library, and Friday outdoor concerts and other festivals by the town hall - all these in walking distance of each other. After the 2002 tornado damage, much of downtown LaPlata was rebuilt with new commercial buildings. The number of big stores and chain-restaurants on Route 301 in North LaPlata has doubled in the last few years. The annual County fair is great fun. LaPlata also has the best-rated public schools in Charles County. The community-college "CSM" has many concerts, plays, and lectures. I don't know how long you plan to be in the area, but the north end of LaPlata near 301, is poised for tremendous residential growth, a few years from now with projects such as "the Hub at CSM" and "Heritage Green".

LaPlata has a gym. Waldorf is a much larger city and has a 2-level shopping mall, a minor league baseball team, more physicians, and ice-skating at the "Capital Clubhouse."

This support group is helpful to young mothers MOMS Club® of La Plata, MD - Home They meet at the Chick-Fil-A.

Last edited by slowlane3; 12-29-2013 at 12:36 PM..

Old 12-29-2013, 12:20 PM

13,323 posts, read 26,782,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxbane View Post
La Plata seems to be a bit more rural, less crime and not as busy as Waldorf. It also seems close enough to still be able to go into Alexandria etc on a weekend if you wanted to make the trip in for the day.

Can anyone recommend La Plata or Waldorf compared to one or the other? We are looking for a decent area to live, safe, not desolate but not crowded and cramped either.
From what you say about yourselves, I think you would be better looking in LaPlata to live. However, the gym, shopping and movies will probably be in Waldorf.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:42 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,332,730 times
I just moved to Waldorf and I really like it. I work in La Plata and it's a nice area as well. Based on your stated preferences I think La Plata is good for you. Both Waldorf and La Plata seem family oriented but Waldorf is more dense schools not as competitive. I know there is a World Gym off of Rt 6. La Plata has decent amenities.

Old 12-29-2013, 02:12 PM

Thanks everyone for the feedback so far! La Plata definitely seems to be more up our alley in terms of what we are looking for in something that is still somewhat rural and has a sense of community etc. I will admit that we are having a difficult time finding good rentals in la Plata in our Price range (up to 1,400 a month) but I am still looking..

Can anyone weigh in on the environment in Charles County for teachers? My Fiance is a teacher and currently teaches Middle School Health/PE where we live now and will be looking to teach up there next school year after summer (applying during the summer when the positions open up). Are there generally opportunities?

Old 12-29-2013, 02:46 PM

44,886 posts, read 59,869,542 times
I can't speak specifically to Charles County (public schools in MD are County based) but as a growing County there may be openings.

She can also look in Calvert and St. Mary's along with Prince George's.

High need areas are STEM, Foreign Language and Media/Library as well as SPED.

She should likely start applying now. Do not assume her teaching certificate will transfer to MD, she needs to check that now, also.

Old 12-29-2013, 02:53 PM

From what we have read there is reciprocity between MD and VA as far her teaching license goes. She was looking into the possibility of getting special ed certified too, just to open up more potential opportunities.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:52 PM

373 posts, read 866,320 times
La Plata is definitely better than waldorf crime and school wise. Its also closer to Indian Head by a couple minutes. You may want to consider Pomfret, which is on the way to La Plata from Indian Head. Craik is the best elementary school in charles county.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:52 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,516,611 times
Southern MD might as well be Mississippi.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:55 PM

44,886 posts, read 59,869,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
Southern MD might as well be Mississippi.
With a median income above $70k in all three Counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland