Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 05:04 PM

1,261 posts, read 687,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post
I think those are good starts. I would also add Branch Avenue Metro, Naylor Road and maybe Suitland (on the fence for that one). National Harbor and Konterra should also be thrown given the aim of each and the transit challenges they face (i.e. they would need additional incentives to grow their office presence).
Konterra is supposed to happen, by 2015 in fact. You don't mention the ICC very often, to me, that road will eventually open up Laurel and Beltsville, in fact its already happening and it needs a boost
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 09:15 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,392,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Did you all read the story at the link from the OP? It's talking about Maryland as a whole. The corporate tax rate needs to be adjusted for the whole state, not just PG County. Lower the tax rate for the whole state and PG's proximity to Washington will take care of PG fairly well.
They need to especially if it helps Baltimore become attractive for Large Businesses to relocate to the city and increase Business/Economic Growth for Suburban Maryland.....

Old 01-09-2014, 07:04 AM

7,079 posts, read 9,530,476 times
Quote:
I think those are good starts. I would also add Branch Avenue Metro, Naylor Road and maybe Suitland (on the fence for that one). National Harbor and Konterra should also be thrown given the aim of each and the transit challenges they face (i.e. they would need additional incentives to grow their office presence).

I actually had Naylor Road and Suitland on the list. But after studying Google maps and looking at the areas surrounding the stations, they were farther behind as potential job centers than the other areas. Knowing that there isn't enough office demand to spread around, I dropped them further down the priority list. But I agree that all metro stops have potential and need incentives to jump start activity.

I keep forgetting about the huge potential at the West Hyattsville station. I'm not sure how that ranks in priority being between PG Plaza and Fort Totten. It lies next to a small town center and is actually in a more walkable area at the moment than the College Park and Greenbelt stations. It wouldn't take much to jumps start activity there. Plans were on the boards before the recession:

West Hyattsville Commons

Old 01-09-2014, 08:22 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,558,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Rock View Post
Konterra is supposed to happen, by 2015 in fact. You don't mention the ICC very often, to me, that road will eventually open up Laurel and Beltsville, in fact its already happening and it needs a boost
There is definitely a benefit to the ICC and its positive impact on that area but its not public transportation. A form that most on this forum and others complain about when discussing projects like the National Harbor and Westphalia.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:29 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,558,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I actually had Naylor Road and Suitland on the list. But after studying Google maps and looking at the areas surrounding the stations, they were farther behind as potential job centers than the other areas. Knowing that there isn't enough office demand to spread around, I dropped them further down the priority list. But I agree that all metro stops have potential and need incentives to jump start activity.

I keep forgetting about the huge potential at the West Hyattsville station. I'm not sure how that ranks in priority being between PG Plaza and Fort Totten. It lies next to a small town center and is actually in a more walkable area at the moment than the College Park and Greenbelt stations. It wouldn't take much to jumps start activity there. Plans were on the boards before the recession:

West Hyattsville Commons
Good point. It shouldn't be a top priority given other developments that are further along and could be quick wins. I have heard that Hyattesville (West I believe) has had a significant uptick in homebuyers who are Yuppie DC ex-pats who want to own and be close to the city but can not afford the sticker shock of the DC Proper housing market.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:49 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,392,288 times
Quote:
There is definitely a benefit to the ICC and its positive impact on that area but its not public transportation. A form that most on this forum and others complain about when discussing projects like the National Harbor and Westphalia.
Tysons Corner, Reston, Dulles Town Center did not have Metro Transit Access and look at it today... There is a Marc Train station along US Highway 1 connected to Konterra that has potential for expansion. Using No Public Transportation is just a code word for opposition towards Expanding Development Growth in PG County/Suburban Maryland.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland