U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 08:06 AM

5,587 posts, read 6,370,340 times

Advertisements

I think the current trend to move closer to job centers is worth a separate thread. I know this has been talked about in other threads, but I think it is a subject that could use its own thread.

Recently, congress failed to extend the commuter benefit legislation which affects a lot of commuters in our area. I considered how this may prompt those commuters to reconsider how far they live from job centers and public transit options.

As DC continues to grow and housing gets scarce driving up rents and home values, will those in the outer suburbs then be stuck with increasingly long commutes before ample public transportation arrives in their communities?

How much would it take for a Outer-Beltway suburbanite to consider moving inside the Beltway? (This is not county specific)

How dense should the Inner-Beltway communities be before growth is re-focused to the outer suburbs?

Quote:
But what does this mean for the average Washington-area commuter? That depends on what kind of transit benefit (if any) an employee gets and what his or her employer plans to do now that the tax-free limit has decreased. If an employee had been getting the full cost of his or her transit expenses paid for by the employer (a “direct benefit”) up to the old $245 cap, and if the employer decides to decrease the maximum benefit to the tax-free maximum of $130, then it could mean a lot of money out of a worker’s pocket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 11:32 AM

32,106 posts, read 39,170,046 times
I'll bite.

In Maryland PlanMD is aimed at just what you're asking without the expansion of transit. We down here have seen the expansion of commuter buses over the years and the constant drumbeat for more Park-n-Ride lots (funnily enough 2 of the 5 I regularly drive by are usually 95% empty, one is full, one is mostly full and the last one is used as overflow parking for Calvert High School), but I don't see the Metro System, whether buses or light rail expanding much past where it is now. Primarily for financial reasons. They really can't maintain what they already have.

People will not move back to the inner suburbs as long as the schools there are not good and the tax burden outweighs the savings.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:54 PM

56 posts, read 58,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
People will not move back to the inner suburbs as long as the schools there are not good and the tax burden outweighs the savings.
But what if moving to the inner suburbs doesn't mean a change in County, taxes or schools? If you move from Rockville or Gaithersburg to Bethesda, Cabin John, Wheaton or Silver Spring, the taxes and schools are generally the same (you'd still get a Montgomery County education and Montgomery County taxes). Wouldn't it be beneficial to move inside the Beltway? Places like Wheaton or Silver Spring don't have astronomical house prices, but still allow you to live close to Metrorail.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:03 PM

32,106 posts, read 39,170,046 times
Even within Montgomery County there are vast differences between the schools. The problem with the Math scores are just the tip of the iceberg and even the vaunted Montgomery County PR machine can't keep putting lipstick on the pig forever.

Query: would Weast have gotten the texts and emails the new guy got yesterday for not calling a 2 hour delay?

Tax load was aimed more at Prince George's.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:35 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,689,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisvishr0 View Post
But what if moving to the inner suburbs doesn't mean a change in County, taxes or schools? If you move from Rockville or Gaithersburg to Bethesda, Cabin John, Wheaton or Silver Spring, the taxes and schools are generally the same (you'd still get a Montgomery County education and Montgomery County taxes). Wouldn't it be beneficial to move inside the Beltway? Places like Wheaton or Silver Spring don't have astronomical house prices, but still allow you to live close to Metrorail.
That will not work for the simple FACT that it is more affordable to live in Gaithersburg-Germantown than it is to live in Silver Spring, Bethesda, and Chevy Chase........

And I have said this before and continue to say it again:

- Metro is not 100% dependable in terms of operating 24/7 and rapid train and bus times operating every 10 minutes on ALL routes.

- Western Fairfax County, Eastern Loudoun County, and Prince William County continue to grow in Population and there are no signs of slowing down even though Rapid Transit is more reliable in Arlington, Falls Church, and Alexandria then it is in the inner beltway Suburbs of Maryland......

- As long as the older Maryland Suburbs continue to be More Expensive then it will always be a hard sell to get people from the outter suburbs to move into the older Maryland Suburbs.........

Old 01-09-2014, 10:23 AM

11,287 posts, read 16,808,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I think the current trend to move closer to job centers is worth a separate thread. I know this has been talked about in other threads, but I think it is a subject that could use its own thread.

Recently, congress failed to extend the commuter benefit legislation which affects a lot of commuters in our area. I considered how this may prompt those commuters to reconsider how far they live from job centers and public transit options.

As DC continues to grow and housing gets scarce driving up rents and home values, will those in the outer suburbs then be stuck with increasingly long commutes before ample public transportation arrives in their communities?

How much would it take for a Outer-Beltway suburbanite to consider moving inside the Beltway? (This is not county specific)

How dense should the Inner-Beltway communities be before growth is re-focused to the outer suburbs?
I have a friend who commutes from Davidsonville to Bethesda every day. Two murderous trips on the crowded Beltway every day.

He is not going to surrender his McMansion and move his wife and two children into some dense development inside the Beltway. Not going to happen and there are hundreds of thousands like him.

When I question the tiresome commute, he shrugs his shoulders and boasts of listening to XM radio and drinking coffee while I am dealing with yet another Red Line breakdown.

People are doing commutes I could not fathom 20 years ago. While you and I might find them crazy, most of them simply see it as something slightly annoying, but none the less normal. Even New York City, which probably has the best public transportation system and epitomizes dense living is characterized by horrific commuter car traffic every day and even on weekends.

Jobs centers are all over the place. We will never rationalize the system so as to alleviate traffic.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:07 AM

10,136 posts, read 11,213,404 times
Everyone has their own situation. Some people simply cannot afford to move that close and others would just prefer the amount of square footage you can get for a home in the outer suburbs as opposed to inner suburbs. It maybe a trend among certain demographics but overall people will have their preferences based on their situation. I don't think the demand is really all that 'unique' to move to the inner suburbs. People are moving to this region with different backgrounds and perhaps that type of housing helps them, but as $mk8795 mentioned outer suburbs are growing too. If anything we are just seeing how large this area is becoming more than there being any type of trend.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:32 PM

11,287 posts, read 16,808,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
Everyone has their own situation. Some people simply cannot afford to move that close and others would just prefer the amount of square footage you can get for a home in the outer suburbs as opposed to inner suburbs. It maybe a trend among certain demographics but overall people will have their preferences based on their situation. I don't think the demand is really all that 'unique' to move to the inner suburbs. People are moving to this region with different backgrounds and perhaps that type of housing helps them, but as $mk8795 mentioned outer suburbs are growing too. If anything we are just seeing how large this area is becoming more than there being any type of trend.
Not to mention that if everyone moved to the inner suburbs, they would quickly look like something right out of Soylent Green.

The far-flung exurbs exist for a reason.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:26 AM

673 posts, read 820,655 times
The Inner Beltway on the PG County side is declining. Its always been more of a working class area, especially when the section 8 from southeast got pushed out to the area. Although National Harbor is up and coming, but the vibrancy lacks on most days. Outer Beltway is definitely sprawling. More land is available and appeals to developers. Townhome, and single family communities being built every year, and towne centres, it has a lot more potential. To me the inner beltway is already developed as an inner suburb. Needs much revitalization!

As for Montgomery Co and northern Virginia the inner beltway is becoming much more urbanized. Some parts even resembling DC. The Downtown corridors are just going up and up. This is because of NW DC influence on the areas.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:10 AM

1,204 posts, read 262,084 times
Apartments planned for Stadium in Landover. Chesapeake Realty Partners and Orchard Development, working with SFB Development, submitted a plan last week for 372 units along Brightseat Road, close enough to the field to hear the roar of the crowd.

The proposal is one of the first to emanate from the Landover Sector Plan of several years ago that grew densities around the Landover Mall property, and made the Mall site itself a target for a high-density ‘town center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland