Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 12:40 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,304,209 times

Advertisements

I'm with Collateral on this one. Perhaps those making moral judgments about speeders should actually familiarize themselves with Maryland law:

2013 Maryland Code
TRANSPORTATION
§ 21-804 - Minimum speed regulation

Universal Citation: MD Transp Code § 21-804 (2013)

§21-804.
(a) Unless reduced speed is necessary for the safe operation of the vehicle or otherwise is in compliance with law, a person may not willfully drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic.
(b) (1) If, on the basis of an engineering and traffic investigation, the State Highway Administration or a local authority determines that slow speeds on any part of a highway in its jurisdiction impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, the State Highway Administration or the local authority may establish a minimum speed limit for that part of the highway.
(2) Unless reduced speed is necessary for the safe operation of the vehicle or otherwise is in compliance with law, a person may not drive a vehicle below a minimum speed limit established under this subsection.
(3) A minimum speed limit established under this subsection is effective when posted on appropriate signs giving notice of the limit.
(c) A person may not drive a Class A (passenger) or Class M (multipurpose) vehicle on a highway if the maximum speed capability of the vehicle does not exceed the posted maximum speed limit for the highway by at least 5 miles per hour.

Also the Special rule for slow-moving traffic. - On every roadway, except while overtaking and passing another vehicle going in the same direction or when preparing for a lawful left turn, any vehicle going 10 miles an hour or more below the applicable maximum speed limit or, if any existing conditions reasonably require a speed below that of the applicable maximum, at less than the normal speed of traffic under these conditions, shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway.

It would be highly beneficial and practical for Maryland to go forward with the bipartisan legislation to increase the interstate highway speed maximum to 70 mph AS WELL AS join the seven other states that outright prohibit driving in the left lane unless passing. In Virginia, you have to vacate the left lane EVEN if those drivers behind you are speeding. This is why you get a better grade and quality of driver once you get out of NOVA. If you don't know the rules of the road don't judge others and if you like to play games like continuously drive slow in the left lane to **** off tailgaters you are breaking the law just as much as any speeder!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 02:16 PM

795 posts, read 1,268,610 times
I don't like slow drivers either... get in the left lane and go 50 mph... how stupid is that.

If people are on your bumper, don't be a moron and slow down... speed up and pass the other car so you can get over. Get out of the way, for goodness sakes.

Driving slow in the fast lane has the potential to create accidents and shows you don't care for other drivers... don't be an a$$.

If someone wants to drive 80 mph in a 55, let them... get out of their way...

Old 01-12-2014, 05:38 PM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
It would be highly beneficial and practical for Maryland to go forward with the bipartisan legislation to increase the interstate highway speed maximum to 70 mph AS WELL AS join the seven other states that outright prohibit driving in the left lane unless passing. In Virginia, you have to vacate the left lane EVEN if those drivers behind you are speeding. This is why you get a better grade and quality of driver once you get out of NOVA. If you don't know the rules of the road don't judge others and if you like to play games like continuously drive slow in the left lane to **** off tailgaters you are breaking the law just as much as any speeder!
That's what the law says over in VA, but fat chance you'll find most Virginians following it.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:43 PM

68 posts, read 122,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collateral View Post
It also makes YOU late for wherever you're going (or shows you have no where important to be in the first place )
Responsible adults simply wake up early enough to make it to their destination without driving reckless. You admit to doing 80mph on the highway. You are definitely part of the problem and the reason why the rest of us have to pay such high insurance premiums.

I've seen so many accidents due to tailgating. Pure foolishness for a number of reasons:

1) You usually don't make it to your destination any faster
2) You end up wearing out your transmission, brakes, burning through your gas, and tire faster due to constantly accelerating, swerving, and slamming on the brakes.
3) If a deer, piece of debris, or another accident happens in front of you game over. You will have no time to stop and that's when fatal accidents and huge pile ups occur.

It's so disappointing watching 20+ cars tail gate one another on the highway. A disaster waiting to happen. Also if you speed you usually don't make up much time.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_of_DC View Post

If someone wants to drive 80 mph in a 55, let them... get out of their way...
Why stop at 80. Let's encourage people to do 120mph in a 55. Because we all know speed , mass, and acceleration are all just myths. The laws of physics are just fiction. What really matters is claiming reckless speeding doesn't cause any harm to anyone.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:48 PM

795 posts, read 1,268,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfrommw7 View Post
Why stop at 80. Let's encourage people to do 120mph in a 55. Because we all know speed , mass, and acceleration are all just myths. The laws of physics are just fiction. What really matters is claiming reckless speeding doesn't cause any harm to anyone.
And if they want to do 80 or above, let them.... or go join the police. Please don't sit in the left lane trying to slow people down. That makes people have to go around you or you hold up people behind you and have a line.

I'm not encouraging anyone to do anything but get the hell out of the way.... anything else you take from my post is make believe. lol

Old 01-12-2014, 09:15 PM

254 posts, read 406,085 times
Quote:
. That makes people have to go around you or you hold up people behind you and have a line.
Right. And if I'm stuck behind four people who are stuck behind -that- person, GetOffMyFreakinAzz!!!!!!!!!!!

So let's talk about those people that think they drive better when they've been drinking. Agree or disagree?

Last edited by thesefourwalls; 01-12-2014 at 10:12 PM..

Old 01-13-2014, 05:31 AM

Quote:
And if they want to do 80 or above, let them.... or go join the police. Please don't sit in the left lane trying to slow people down. That makes people have to go around you or you hold up people behind you and have a line.

I'm not encouraging anyone to do anything but get the hell out of the way.... anything else you take from my post is make believe. lol
It doesn't MAKE anyone go around me. If they choose to be reckless that is on them. The idiot doing 80mph is the only one putting everyone at risk. If the person in the passing lane is passing slower cars and doing the speed limit that person has no obligation to be reckless and dangerously swerve over in order to accommodate for lazy, immature, brain dead adults who are too irresponsible to wake up early.

This happens to me often. I'm passing slower cars who are driving under the speed limit in the passing lane only to have some idiot riding my bumper. I'm not going to cut off, run into, or swerve into another lane full of congested traffic. I'll safely take my time, check the other lanes for other idiots who are weaving in and out of traffic (their futile attempts to save 20-30 seconds while putting everyone else at risk) and then move over.

BTW this morning 10-15 cars struck a tree on the beltway. Way to keep it up! Why pay attention to the engineers and experts who have spent their entire career studying math and science to determine a safe speed limit. Why do that when you know getting to McDonald's 3 seconds earlier than everyone else is worth risking a fatal speed related accident.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:53 AM

709 posts, read 1,130,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfrommw7 View Post
It doesn't MAKE anyone go around me. If they choose to be reckless that is on them. The idiot doing 80mph is the only one putting everyone at risk. If the person in the passing lane is passing slower cars and doing the speed limit that person has no obligation to be reckless and dangerously swerve over in order to accommodate for lazy, immature, brain dead adults who are too irresponsible to wake up early.

This happens to me often. I'm passing slower cars who are driving under the speed limit in the passing lane only to have some idiot riding my bumper. I'm not going to cut off, run into, or swerve into another lane full of congested traffic. I'll safely take my time, check the other lanes for other idiots who are weaving in and out of traffic (their futile attempts to save 20-30 seconds while putting everyone else at risk) and then move over.

BTW this morning 10-15 cars struck a tree on the beltway. Way to keep it up! Why pay attention to the engineers and experts who have spent their entire career studying math and science to determine a safe speed limit. Why do that when you know getting to McDonald's 3 seconds earlier than everyone else is worth risking a fatal speed related accident.
If you can't drive safely at high speeds then you can't handle a car and have no business driving one. Cars are engineered to go fast. If it wasn't possible to drive them safety at high speeds then they would not be engineered to move at such speeds.

People who drive slow are the unsafe ones. They are the ones eating breakfast and texting. A fast attentive driver is much safer than a slow inattentive one

Old 01-13-2014, 08:56 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collateral View Post
If you can't drive safely at high speeds then you can't handle a car and have no business driving one. Cars are engineered to go fast. If it wasn't possible to drive them safety at high speeds then they would not be engineered to move at such speeds.

People who drive slow are the unsafe ones. They are the ones eating breakfast and texting. A fast attentive driver is much safer than a slow inattentive one
...and a slow attentive driver is safer than a fast inattentive one, of which there are many. Too many of both inattentive types.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland