U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why Did You Join This Forum
Get Relocation Advice 11 40.74%
Provide Relocation Advice 6 22.22%
Discuss Local Issues 14 51.85%
Interesting Local News 12 44.44%
Bored 5 18.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 10:14 AM

5,586 posts, read 6,368,524 times

Advertisements

What prompted you to join this site and this local forum in particular?

Personally, I joined when development in PG was taking off before the Great Recession and the bottom fell out. I was involved in local development meetings, was a contributor to Rethink College Park, and participated in other development-focused forums. I came to this site for two reasons. The first was to glean inside information on certain projects that I couldn't get through the media. The second reason was to share information about certain development projects and initiatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 10:32 AM

4,558 posts, read 7,617,865 times
I joined to offer relocation advice, and provide a Western Maryland perspective on statewide discussions that is sorely lacking sometimes.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:16 PM

795 posts, read 990,969 times
I like reading the local stories and keeping up with local events. I joined to get relocation advice many moons ago... and when I move, I often read this board about areas and ask questions. You have to filter through the BS, but there are some useful comments on here.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:22 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,031,756 times
I originally joined to check out some interesting local news of both PG and the DC area in general. As a matter of fact, I spend my time in other threads on CD as well. Aside from the DC and PG/Suburban Maryland threads, I also hangout in the City vs. City, General U.S., NYC, Baltimore, World, Video Games, Pro-Football, LA, and Travel forums.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:52 PM

32,106 posts, read 39,155,933 times
Because someone clued me that a poster was spreading bull**** about my location. He really looked like a developer tool with the misinformation (polite way of phrasing it) he was posting about plans and even the uses of the buildings he showed in the photos.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:10 PM

12,553 posts, read 18,921,472 times
There was a lot of interesting topics, and I thought I could add to the discussion. I knpow a lot about this area and like to help. I hate the constant arguments on race, though, and try to avoid those threads.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:30 PM

10,136 posts, read 11,211,573 times
I joined to really give advice on relocating. I am somewhat rare in the fact that I have lived, worked, and/or gone to school/college in Maryland, DC and Virginia. I feel like I have enough of a feel of each area that I can point people in the right place. I also feel strongly about the varying opinions of PG. I dislike people who speak negative erroneous information about PG but I equally detest people who ignore constructive criticism and spend time trying to mislead others by exaggerating facts. Both are bad so I like bringing a balance. I also like talking about sports and politics.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:43 PM

254 posts, read 306,857 times
Because I wanted to get myself jazzed up about my upcoming move.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:49 PM

3,111 posts, read 4,396,206 times
I joined because I was going to move. It has been a great tool to check out different areas all over the US and the world. Since I joined I have met amazing people, have traveled to all 50 states to check out recommendations, and have - actually - increased my appreciation for where I live. After hundreds of thousands of miles traveling all over the place, it turns out home sweet home is the best place for me.

So I joined to find a way outta here. I stayed on the site because there are some amazing, wonderful, caring, helpful and delightful people in this little CD village. I appreciate the care and concern shown by the Moderators who keep comments from deteriorating into the kind of nastiness you see on many other forums (not to mention places like youtube and others...) I much prefer CD to Facebook, which is often just a brag-fest. The majority of the CD peeps really do care and give great information and advice on everything from what to have for dinner tonight to where to find things in your city or online. Vacation trips can be scheduled just by asking a question in the forum of your choice. IMHO it's a gem and I'm happy I stumbled onto it.

And no - I'm not a Mod and I didn't get paid to post this. I just appreciate a good communication tool/social site when I see it.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:58 PM

114 posts, read 158,350 times
I joined because I moved from the area (Calvert County) and like to keep up with the region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland