Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 09:30 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,892,452 times

Advertisements

So in somewhat bad timing, my living arrangement in Bethesda is ending soon, and my company's office is moving to Bethesda.

I need to find a 1 BR apartment by the end of this month. I've done a lot of looking online, and I've mostly narrowed it down to Silver Spring or North Bethesda/Rockville (near Twinbrook or White Flint metro). I'm also looking at Arlington as I like that area, but I know the commute would be worse.

From Silver Spring I would take the bus; from North Bethesda I would be able to walk to the metro and take it to Bethesda. The budget I've set is under $1500, which pretty much rules out downtown Bethesda, unless I were to get a roommate. My girlfriend's lease will end in 6 mo. so hopefully she'll move in at that time.

Obviously Bethesda would be my best option if something comes up, but would Silver Spring or N. Bethesda be better for my commute? Silver Spring would have other things going for it, but is pricier for what you get and I hear the traffic on East-West to Bethesda is really bad during rush hour. From Twinbrook I could just sit on the train for 15 min. or so.

Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 10:35 PM

709 posts, read 1,126,067 times
This is a no-brainer.

Rockville or North Bethesda is obviously a much better choice than Silver Spring. East West highway is the ONLY way to get from Silver Spring to Bethesda unless you take the beltway (which might actually be faster at rush hour).

Metro from White Flint to Bethesda is about 10 minutes if the train has no delays.

There is nothing Silver Spring has to offer that trumps Rockville besides being closer to DC. Rockville has better food and shopping options. It also has less crime.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:18 AM

100 posts, read 153,604 times
Agreed on Rockville. There would be several options to get between Rockville and Bethesda (Bus, Train or Car).
I like the Twinbrook area. White Flint would be good as well.

Here's a new theater coming to the White Flint area, for example:

Robert Dyer @ Bethesda Row: FIRST LOOK AT iPic THEATER AT PIKE AND ROSE (PHOTOS)

Should be a lot of good entertainment options coming to White Flint, though the mall is closing.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:12 AM

520 posts, read 594,437 times
Check out Parkside Condominiums in the Grosvenor area. You should be able to find a 1-BR for $1500, and you're only two stops from Bethesda. Besides, you can take rush hour trains that terminate at Grosvenor.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:59 AM

Thanks for the advice. I had suspected that Rockville would be a better option but it's good to get outside opinions. My comment about Silver Spring having its advantages referred to the walkability from a downtown apartment. Unfortunately, most of the buildings downtown in my price range have poor reviews online.

I'll focus on Rockville for now. I'll check out Parkside condos and welcome any more suggestions!

Old 01-20-2014, 06:58 PM

Where do people go for public tennis courts close to Rockville Town Center?

Old 01-21-2014, 12:15 AM

I thought of something else. I remember seeing something online for a downtown Bethesda 1-BR for $ 1600 or $ 1700. This could well be something older like a couple of buildings I've seen very near NIH, or maybe those older buildings behind the Giant on Arlington - somewhere in the vicinity of Arlington and Bethesda Ave, anyway.

Still, if you manage to locate one for that price, it maybe be worth considering because you'll probably spend $ 70 - $ 80 a month commuting on the metro during rush hour, even from Grosvenor. For a little more money, you'll live within walking distance of work (I'm assuming), and all the awesomeness of downtown Bethesda.

Just some food for thought....

Old 01-21-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Fingers View Post
I thought of something else. I remember seeing something online for a downtown Bethesda 1-BR for $ 1600 or $ 1700. This could well be something older like a couple of buildings I've seen very near NIH, or maybe those older buildings behind the Giant on Arlington - somewhere in the vicinity of Arlington and Bethesda Ave, anyway.

Still, if you manage to locate one for that price, it maybe be worth considering because you'll probably spend $ 70 - $ 80 a month commuting on the metro during rush hour, even from Grosvenor. For a little more money, you'll live within walking distance of work (I'm assuming), and all the awesomeness of downtown Bethesda.

Just some food for thought....
Good thinking, but I probably should have mentioned that my company pays for metro. I'd prefer to stay in Bethesda, but I've found 1 BRs in Rockville that are cheaper and nicer than what I've found in Bethesda. I have a couple of options in the Americana condos within a 5 minute walk from the Rockville metro station, which would put me 20-23 min. from work (accounting for walk and wait for train). It's also a block away from Rockville Town Center, which looks pretty nice.

I also visited Parkside, but there's one unit available and an application has been turned in for it. If I could wait until 3/1 I'd have more options there.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by destinedtodave View Post
Good thinking, but I probably should have mentioned that my company pays for metro. I'd prefer to stay in Bethesda, but I've found 1 BRs in Rockville that are cheaper and nicer than what I've found in Bethesda. I have a couple of options in the Americana condos within a 5 minute walk from the Rockville metro station, which would put me 20-23 min. from work (accounting for walk and wait for train). It's also a block away from Rockville Town Center, which looks pretty nice.

I also visited Parkside, but there's one unit available and an application has been turned in for it. If I could wait until 3/1 I'd have more options there.
In that case, scratch my argument. I think you did well with the Rockville Town Center option, which is a lot more walkable.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Fingers View Post
In that case, scratch my argument. I think you did well with the Rockville Town Center option, which is a lot more walkable.
It's not official yet, but I'm hopeful.

It's a tad further out than I originally wanted to go, but the walkability around the apartment is hard to beat. Strathmore or Whiteflint would be really convenient to commute to work, but I'd have to drive everywhere. At least with Rockville I can walk or drive, depending on what I need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland