U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2007, 02:32 PM

2 posts, read 4,805 times

Advertisements

We are a couple in our 50s, relocating for new job in Gaithersburg. Can you suggest some smaller towns or neighborhoods within larger towns that offer older single family homes? We live in an old farmhouse now, built in the 1920s. It's a little drafty and quirky, but we're fond of it ...

I'd be grateful for the realistic perspective of folks who know the area.

Thank you kindly,

~L
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 03:06 PM

5,256 posts, read 12,563,108 times
I use to work at IBM in Gaithersburg. I remember I use to ride around on my lunch hour checking out the town. There actually is an old Gaithersburg with a quaint little dt area and older homes. I was quite surprised. Also Rockville Maryland just south of Gaithersburg also has an older section with beautiful old homes. Frederick Maryland is about 20 miles north of Gaithersburg. It is a very old historic town with a beautiful old downtown. Buckeystown is another one.

Old 11-30-2007, 04:41 AM

9 posts, read 34,119 times
lbean,

pwright1 is correct, there are some areas in both Gaithersburg and Rockville, as well as others. I will be working with a relocating couple this weekend who also has an interest in finding an older house - there are a few good choices. Drop me an email offline if you would like more details. Paul/

Old 11-30-2007, 07:02 AM

2 posts, read 4,805 times
Thanks so much for your time. This is very helpful and much appreciated.

~L

Old 12-01-2007, 08:46 AM

16 posts, read 52,812 times
Your price range will drive the location. In addition to the other locations mentioned, there are also victorian homes with lots of charm in Frederick County outside of Frederick, but I am not sure what your driving requirements are (commuting times). There's Point of Rocks that's very quaint too and a bit closer, and Damascus with old and new homes close to major shoppping about 3-4 miles, or even Derwood yet closer to Gaithersburg. Let me know if you need more info!

Best of luck!

Old 12-01-2007, 09:32 PM

3,517 posts, read 11,799,092 times
Point of Rocks doesn't have much in the way of older houses. Most of what is left is in the flood plain and floods about every 10 years. They got a bunch of people to leave and razed the houses - still trying to get the remainder out. It does have a great train station building.

Brunswick has quite a few old houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland