Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2019, 09:20 AM

15 posts, read 20,237 times

Advertisements

Anyone know what they are building in PG mall's parking lot? Could it be the chik-fi-la that has been rumored for years now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 01:26 PM

340 posts, read 376,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtjones82 View Post
Anyone know what they are building in PG mall's parking lot? Could it be the chik-fi-la that has been rumored for years now?
That’s the Miller’s Ale House

Old 03-25-2019, 03:06 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,569,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtjones82 View Post
The Chik-Fil-A idea probably died because they required a drive-thru. The parking lot location wasn't conducive for taking traffic off of 410 into the parking lot of a mall for a drive-thru. It went against the goal to make the area walkable and pedestrian friendly.

There was just no way to make a drive-thru work. The BB&T location would have been better. Simply because it has a drive-thru already and it is off the main road.

The mall owners then envisioned a family-oriented sit-down restaurant. So, there's that.

Old 03-25-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
The Chik-Fil-A idea probably died because they required a drive-thru. The parking lot location wasn't conducive for taking traffic off of 410 into the parking lot of a mall for a drive-thru. It went against the goal to make the area walkable and pedestrian friendly.

There was just no way to make a drive-thru work. The BB&T location would have been better. Simply because it has a drive-thru already and it is off the main road.

The mall owners then envisioned a family-oriented sit-down restaurant. So, there's that.
Miller's Ale House is a much needed landing for this area...this area desparately needs a neighborhood bar/sports bar that's target customer is older than 22. Sure for the hipsters these breweries and distilleries on Route 1 are neat destinations...but how about someplace to sit down and have a drink with your neighbors or a place that actually turns the sound on for the game.

Someone tell me, where in all of West Hyattsville, Riverdale Park, College Park, Mount Rainier, Brentwood, even Woodridge, all the way up and down Route 1 from the city edge to the beltway, where can I get an alcoholic beverage after 12AM without being surrounded by undergraduate college kids? Burton's closes too early, Town Center Market...too early...

Old 03-26-2019, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughLow805 View Post
Miller's Ale House is a much needed landing for this area...this area desparately needs a neighborhood bar/sports bar that's target customer is older than 22. Sure for the hipsters these breweries and distilleries on Route 1 are neat destinations...but how about someplace to sit down and have a drink with your neighbors or a place that actually turns the sound on for the game.

Someone tell me, where in all of West Hyattsville, Riverdale Park, College Park, Mount Rainier, Brentwood, even Woodridge, all the way up and down Route 1 from the city edge to the beltway, where can I get an alcoholic beverage after 12AM without being surrounded by undergraduate college kids? Burton's closes too early, Town Center Market...too early...
Well, let's hope the city allows them to operate after the other restaurants close. I can't think of anything in the area open past 12am. Not Dominion Brewhouse, Carolina Kitchen, BeClaws, Outback, Olive Garden, etc. They may want the streets clear after midnight. After all, this is a suburban town with citizens who don't like places open late that serve alcoholic beverages.

Old 03-26-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Well, let's hope the city allows them to operate after the other restaurants close. I can't think of anything in the area open past 12am. Not Dominion Brewhouse, Carolina Kitchen, BeClaws, Outback, Olive Garden, etc. They may want the streets clear after midnight. After all, this is a suburban town with citizens who don't like places open late that serve alcoholic beverages.
In regards to Miller's Ale House, I don't personally care if they are open after 12am, I'm just happy that they will provide a hangout that is different that what's provided by other nearby establishments. Other than Dominion Brewhouse and Looney's (both get a very collegiate crowd especially at night), sports is often an accessory to places around here, not a main draw or reason to gather.

I don't think the city or county has much to do with these establishments hours. I can run off a list of 10-20 places (Lesley Grill, Prime Restaurant, Trinity Grill, Lee's Liquor, etc.) that are open after 12am...they just cater to different crowds, loud music, dancing, etc. S&J that closed was fine (now Riviera Tapas) in Riverdale Park Town Center. I think we'll see something soon with Denizen's (claiming they want to be open later than other places) and PennyRoyal Station. Right now, I have to go all the way to Republic in Old Town Takoma Park for the kinda scene I'd love to see consistently from even just 1 place locally which is often just too far to go for a drink late night.

Old 03-26-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
I don't think the city or county has much to do with these establishments hours. I can run off a list of 10-20 places (Lesley Grill, Prime Restaurant, Trinity Grill, Lee's Liquor, etc.) that are open after 12am...they just cater to different crowds, loud music, dancing, etc. S&J that closed was fine (now Riviera Tapas) in Riverdale Park Town Center. I think we'll see something soon with Denizen's (claiming they want to be open later than other places) and PennyRoyal Station. Right now, I have to go all the way to Republic in Old Town Takoma Park for the kinda scene I'd love to see consistently from even just 1 place locally which is often just too far to go for a drink late night.
I get it. Unfortunately, the area around the mall isn't being created to have the same vide as Takoma Park or any other nice small nook with late-night watering holes for adults.

What is being created is a vanilla cookie cutter suburban mall area with major chains. University Town Center offered a little hope, then failed. Your best hope for any scene like old town Takoma is Rt. 1 south of 410. MAYBE Riverdale Park Station can pull something like that off.

Old 04-11-2019, 09:53 AM

Am I reading this right? There's a Hook & Reel coming to The Mall at Prince George's in the fall? Did the one in Greenbelt fall through? It still hasn't opened. I thought Hook&Reels are at least big enough for a pad site like Miller's Ale House. Though it doesn't say whether it will be in the mall or outside. I wonder where they will put it and how big it will be. Not sure why they want three restaurants so close together. There's one in Woodmoore, the one in Greenbelt, now the one in Hyattsville.

https://mallatprincegeorges.com/calendar/view/1165
Attached Thumbnails
Prince George's Plaza District Development-screenshot-2019-04-11-11.49.26-am.png  

Old 04-11-2019, 10:09 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if Greenbelt fell through with the Beltway plaza development plans, but personally, I'm happy with it coming to MPG either way. In general I'm glad to see them rolling out more stores.

Old 04-11-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if Greenbelt fell through with the Beltway plaza development plans, but personally, I'm happy with it coming to MPG either way. In general I'm glad to see them rolling out more stores.
I looked up Invicta and it is a watch retailer. Personally, I went to the mall and counted 22 jewelry retailers including the big box stores. Half of the kiosks in the mall sell some form of jewelry. I'm surprised that none of them are failing due to competition. Unless they are all owned by one llc?

It would be nice to see half of those kiosks gone or sell something else. Sometimes I feel like I'm walking into a jewelry bazaar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland