Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2014, 10:46 AM

7,078 posts, read 9,527,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaryland455 View Post
I 100% Agree that Nordstroms will NEVER come to PG County, for the simple fact the clothes quality/prices are center around concentrated rich resident. Honestly I'm going to use Montgomery County and Fairfax County as example, anywhere within both of those county you could place Nordstroms and it would do well because there concentrated wealth from all direction. Let say Nordstroms was placed in Germantown for instance, Germantown ($80,000 median income) is connected to Clarksburg (median income $100,000), Potomac ($200,000 median income), North Potomac ($150,000 median income) and Darnestown ($150,000 median Income) there all center around Germantown, so Nordstrom would survive within that area

It's not just about income. It's also about the density of that income. Like many people have said, PG has those incomes as well, but they aren't concentrated in dense clusters. Remember, Nordstroms is a huge department store which demands a high amount of constant foot traffic. Not just on the weekends, but during the daytime and evenings throughout the week as well. Crystal City is dense enough with the higher salaries to justify having a Nordstroms. Especially since it is at a Metro shop and within walking distance to the biggest concentration of defense contracting firms in the area.

I wouldn't say PG would NEVER get a Nordstroms. They have to build that type of density first. Currently, NO city in PG is as dense as those in Montgomery and Fairfax counties. Our densest city is Hyattsville if I'm not mistaken. But the relatively lower salaries can't justify a Nordstroms at PG Plaza even though next door, University Park's household income is in the 6-digit range. PG Plaza gets a lot of foot traffic, but none with the salary range you would find in Fairfax and Montgomery Counties. Could that change? A few people think so. Others may disagree.

Only two places I see at this time that could support a Nordstroms in PG county - Westphalia and Konterra. Once fully built out, those projects would be relatively dense clusters with professionals that would be able to support a Nordstroms. But it remains to be seen if those projects could attract the types of customers seen in Fairfax and Montgomery County. Like I said, we can start with a Nordstrom Rack as a test market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 11:06 AM

490 posts, read 921,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
It's not just about income. It's also about the density of that income. Like many people have said, PG has those incomes as well, but they aren't concentrated in dense clusters. Remember, Nordstroms is a huge department store which demands a high amount of constant foot traffic. Not just on the weekends, but during the daytime and evenings throughout the week as well. Crystal City is dense enough with the higher salaries to justify having a Nordstroms. Especially since it is at a Metro shop and within walking distance to the biggest concentration of defense contracting firms in the area.

I wouldn't say PG would NEVER get a Nordstroms. They have to build that type of density first. Currently, NO city in PG is as dense as those in Montgomery and Fairfax counties. Our densest city is Hyattsville if I'm not mistaken. But the relatively lower salaries can't justify a Nordstroms at PG Plaza even though next door, University Park's household income is in the 6-digit range. PG Plaza gets a lot of foot traffic, but none with the salary range you would find in Fairfax and Montgomery Counties. Could that change? A few people think so. Others may disagree.

Only two places I see at this time that could support a Nordstroms in PG county - Westphalia and Konterra. Once fully built out, those projects would be relatively dense clusters with professionals that would be able to support a Nordstroms. But it remains to be seen if those projects could attract the types of customers seen in Fairfax and Montgomery County. Like I said, we can start with a Nordstrom Rack as a test market.
LOL its funny when you said use Nordstom Rack as a Test Run LOL.....Like if Nordstoms rack bombs than it not ment to be

Old 02-21-2014, 12:49 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,426,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaryland455 View Post
LOL its funny when you said use Nordstom Rack as a Test Run LOL.....Like if Nordstoms rack bombs than it not ment to be

But to me, Nordstrom Rack is like an upscale Marshall's. There was one at City Place Mall in Silver Spring. It's not all that.

With regard to median incomes and density, I assume that the incomes in the areas surrounding Annapolis Mall are comparable to MoCo and Fairfax? I will say that Nordstrom stores in this area are in more regional locales, meaing they would attract people outside of the immediate area or county.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:59 PM

7,078 posts, read 9,527,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
But to me, Nordstrom Rack is like an upscale Marshall's. There was one at City Place Mall in Silver Spring. It's not all that.

With regard to median incomes and density, I assume that the incomes in the areas surrounding Annapolis Mall are comparable to MoCo and Fairfax? I will say that Nordstrom stores in this area are in more regional locales, meaing they would attract people outside of the immediate area or county.

I've only been once. I thought it was like an outlet store.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:48 PM

490 posts, read 921,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post

I never been to Annapolis Mall but I heard REALLY good things about that mall.....so if there a Nordstroms at that mall than you basicially anwser my question. The median income/concentrated wealth keeps that mall floating. Now the only place I can see Nordstrom in PG County is National Harbor (Even there Im still 50/50 about)

Old 02-21-2014, 04:54 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,178,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post

This.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:01 PM

70 posts, read 151,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
This is the most inaacurate statement about Nordstrom, i should know since years back in college I worked there...You do not have to be a $2 millionaire to shop at Nordstrom, as a previous poster stated they are not any Neiman Marcus or Saks...Nordstrom prides themselves on being "a notch above" Macys when in actuallity they are very similar if not barely above them... Also trust I know this from 1st hand experience, many people who shop at who shop at Nordstrom don't really have it!!! I knew customers that literally would waltz in there with their only pair of designer shoes they owned just to shop and feel comfortable amongst the other shoppers. This was on multiple occasions not just a few times. I'm not trying to downgrade what reputation the company has built up, but just making a point that many customers there are not the wealthiest people.

You'd be crazy to think no communities in PG County make enough "real money" to support Nordstrom. Take that Fairwood/Woodmore North area along 450, you think people there can't afford a $300 pair of shoes?? Also remember not every "wealthy" community is exactly the same or created equal, people in "wealthy" Fort Washington may not spend money on the same things as those in "wealthy" Mitchellville/Bowie.
Id say Nordstroms is considerably better than any Macys in PG County. Now its true that the Nordstroms and the Macys in Columbia mall damn near could be the exact same store, but the Macys in affluent areas are much nicer than the Macys at some place like PG Plaza.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:32 PM

692 posts, read 1,001,727 times
All stores are not created equal. They carry merch based on the stats of the nearby population. Even in stores like Marshall's, TJ Maxx and DSW the merch will differ greatly depending on the location. Leesburg Pike has more upscale stuff than Rockville Pike which has more upscale stuff than Waldorf.

Quote:
Id say Nordstroms is considerably better than any Macys in PG County
This could be the sad fate of any upscale department store that comes to PG, the Landover Mall Effect.
Who remembers Garfinkels? Once upon a time the Garfinkels at Landover Mall was nice. They had nice, expensive things, especially jewelry and that chandelier over the escalators!!! but even back then Garfinkels at Montgomery Mall was still leagues ahead.
Once upon a time the Woodies at Landover wasn't too bad especially the furniture, but the one in MoCo always had it beat even before Landover store took a sharp decline. Don't even get me started about the one at Iverson. The PG stores were stocked with leftovers. Even now the Nordstrom in MoCo is nice, but the one at Tyson's is far nicer. They both have nicer merch than the Nordstrom at Dulles Town Center.
I fear that the "Landover Mall Effect" could be the fate of any upscale store that comes PG. They may come out of the gate with somewhat decent items, but it will carry what nearby surveys and stats dictate. Once receipts trickle in or if shoppers continue to go to other locations cuz the store doesn't carry what they want, especially if there aren't enough surrounding stores to entice shoppers the place will close up shop .
We know the wealth in McLean area surrounding Tyson's, but put this into perspective the dude who owns the Redskins lives only a few miles from Montgomery Mall. I doubt he shops there but his income along with his wealthy neighbors support the argument for higher end stores. While pockets of PG has money, if there is a Nordstrom I fear it could be a Landover Mall Nordstrom.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubina View Post
All stores are not created equal. They carry merch based on the stats of the nearby population. Even in stores like Marshall's, TJ Maxx and DSW the merch will differ greatly depending on the location. Leesburg Pike has more upscale stuff than Rockville Pike which has more upscale stuff than Waldorf.

This could be the sad fate of any upscale department store that comes to PG, the Landover Mall Effect.
Who remembers Garfinkels? Once upon a time the Garfinkels at Landover Mall was nice. They had nice, expensive things, especially jewelry and that chandelier over the escalators!!! but even back then Garfinkels at Montgomery Mall was still leagues ahead.
Once upon a time the Woodies at Landover wasn't too bad especially the furniture, but the one in MoCo always had it beat even before Landover store took a sharp decline. Don't even get me started about the one at Iverson. The PG stores were stocked with leftovers. Even now the Nordstrom in MoCo is nice, but the one at Tyson's is far nicer. They both have nicer merch than the Nordstrom at Dulles Town Center.
I fear that the "Landover Mall Effect" could be the fate of any upscale store that comes PG. They may come out of the gate with somewhat decent items, but it will carry what nearby surveys and stats dictate. Once receipts trickle in or if shoppers continue to go to other locations cuz the store doesn't carry what they want, especially if there aren't enough surrounding stores to entice shoppers the place will close up shop .
We know the wealth in McLean area surrounding Tyson's, but put this into perspective the dude who owns the Redskins lives only a few miles from Montgomery Mall. I doubt he shops there but his income along with his wealthy neighbors support the argument for higher end stores. While pockets of PG has money, if there is a Nordstrom I fear it could be a Landover Mall Nordstrom.
I have to agree with you here. Macy's is a good example, although there is not a major difference between the Macy's at Bowie and Macy's at Annapolis Mall. I would hope a nearby Nordstrom would draw from DC as well as PG, and even Anne Arundel in the Crofton area.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:09 AM

Has anyone visited downtown Silver Spring lately? I was there last Saturday. It was a great, lively, fun area. Lots of restaurants, yes mostly chains, but nice nonetheless. A variety of stores such as Ulta, H&M, and others. An outdoor skating rink. Nearby garage parking that is free on the weekends. We left around 8:30 after eating, and a diverse crowd of people was still around, many with children. walking around and enjoying the night. It was a nice, safe vibe.

That's the kind of development PG needs in places like the BLVD, BTC and elsewhere. You need to attract a variety of people. The businesses you bring in is the major factor. And it has to be easily accessible. And safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland