Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2014, 02:20 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,433,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
That doesn't seem to stop them in VA. Yes. I know I sound like a particular poster. lol But seriously, there's millions of square feet of fed office space away from metro stops in VA. Mark Center anyone? There could be shuttle services from NH to King ST.
True, but the areas surrounding National Harbor may cause concern if there is no easy Metro access. Would it be a valid concern? I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 02:29 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,564,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
True, but the areas surrounding National Harbor may cause concern if there is no easy Metro access. Would it be a valid concern? I don't know.
It would be a concern, but some real estate appeals to some developers and not others. Konterra and Westphalia are nowhere near transit oriented and yet they have huge investors. NH is already an active place on prime riverfront real estate. If the right developer wanted to build an office building there, I'm not sure they would be too concerned about there being no transit. yet, there are plans eventually for a transit option. Those future transit plans may then help to lessen their concerns.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:04 PM

631 posts, read 1,395,671 times
So a couple coworkers and I went to Silvestre's for lunch. Its pretty sad what it looked like, it was a handful of cars at the Main blvd while the rest of the cars were either at Gold's, Friday's, Chick-Fil-A, Phenix Salon, or Golden Corral. My coworker said back in the day, the BLVD was the best hang out stop, then Metro happened and its sad what its become and he said the sad part is that ITS ONLY 11 YEARS OLD!!! SMH.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:39 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,411,561 times
Well I went to Tangiers for the first time last weekend, I thought it was very nice. Nice crowds. I think this one will be a winner.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:08 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,980,627 times
I had a chance to drive through the Blvd this weekend and I had some mixed feelings. I think the Gold's Gym is actually a great addition to the shopping center and may save it (especially since it's right at the front of the shopping center), but the amount of empty store fronts was shocking. From the roadside and from the big box stores, the shopping center looks fine, but when you drive through the main strip by the theater and where some of the teeny bopper stores are, it looks pretty bad. They really need to give that shopping center an identity. There is no way a shopping center should be struggling that much and losing that many stores, especially given how much is over there (a lot of business, government offices, metro, etc.). One thing I think shopping centers in PG County that are in areas like that, that serve the local community more, should have more shops catered to the community. Why not a bakery/cupcake shop? Why not a flower shop? Why not a massage palor? There are some things that can be added to that shopping center that can keep it up. I was just looking around the area, the potential is there. Largo is really nice, has a very walkable layout and is aesthetically very appealing but it just lacks good planning.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:58 PM

146 posts, read 449,247 times
Late, I know, but...wow, I was last there in March 2013, but didn't really notice the demise that much. It still seemed okay, although I could tell there wasn't that many shoppers around, and some storefronts probably were stuttered (although I wasn't paying attention). You know it's bad, though, when Starbucks closes down...don't think I've ever seen a Starbucks close, only relocate.

I remember coming here for the very first time in 2006, and being impressed at how nice the whole center looked. I believe I came after Christmas, but the tree was still there, decorated in its' glory. I remember seeing historical signs explaining the history of the area. It came across as tourist-ey, but felt very safe. I went there via metro.

The thing is, I didn't know about LTC until I randomly happened there by exploring on the Metro. I think part of the problem that contributed to the eventual demise of LTC is that it just wasn't marketed. I also didn't feel excited about any of the restaurants or storefronts; they spelled "blah" to me. If some nicer restaurants, such as a Cheesecake Factory, or Rainforest Cafe, or even a Red Robin, was in the area, that might've helped. As for stores...I'm not much of a shopper. But, it's sad to see Google Maps street view images of the area (from 2008) and see the difference. Men's Wearhouse, Yankee Candles, Kay's Jeweler's, Lane Byrant, etc. I urge you to go to Google Maps now and check out Street View of the area... it hasn't been updated since 2008, so I'm sure to some of you, it'd be startlingly different. I remember viewing the place as boring, but strictly from a personal perspective (as I'm not much of a shopper), save for Borders (bookworm here). Maybe that's part of the problem? Possibly a better draw? I couldn't put my finger on it, but I didn't feel like I wanted to return, even then, back in 2006. It had absolutely nothing to do with safety or perceived safety. I guess LTC, as nice and modern as it was, just didn't appeal to me.

However, it's very sad to hear of how badly LTC has declined, especially as it had SO. MUCH. POTENTIAL. It seems like LTC had the same fate as White Flint Mall, which is now completely closed down. I do wonder if Tyson's Corner/Galleria will face the same demise, especially with the Silver Line opening? What do you guys think?

Last edited by Andy1369; 07-22-2014 at 01:12 AM..

Old 07-22-2014, 06:42 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,980,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy1369 View Post
Late, I know, but...wow, I was last there in March 2013, but didn't really notice the demise that much. It still seemed okay, although I could tell there wasn't that many shoppers around, and some storefronts probably were stuttered (although I wasn't paying attention). You know it's bad, though, when Starbucks closes down...don't think I've ever seen a Starbucks close, only relocate.

I remember coming here for the very first time in 2006, and being impressed at how nice the whole center looked. I believe I came after Christmas, but the tree was still there, decorated in its' glory. I remember seeing historical signs explaining the history of the area. It came across as tourist-ey, but felt very safe. I went there via metro.

The thing is, I didn't know about LTC until I randomly happened there by exploring on the Metro. I think part of the problem that contributed to the eventual demise of LTC is that it just wasn't marketed. I also didn't feel excited about any of the restaurants or storefronts; they spelled "blah" to me. If some nicer restaurants, such as a Cheesecake Factory, or Rainforest Cafe, or even a Red Robin, was in the area, that might've helped. As for stores...I'm not much of a shopper. But, it's sad to see Google Maps street view images of the area (from 2008) and see the difference. Men's Wearhouse, Yankee Candles, Kay's Jeweler's, Lane Byrant, etc. I urge you to go to Google Maps now and check out Street View of the area... it hasn't been updated since 2008, so I'm sure to some of you, it'd be startlingly different. I remember viewing the place as boring, but strictly from a personal perspective (as I'm not much of a shopper), save for Borders (bookworm here). Maybe that's part of the problem? Possibly a better draw? I couldn't put my finger on it, but I didn't feel like I wanted to return, even then, back in 2006. It had absolutely nothing to do with safety or perceived safety. I guess LTC, as nice and modern as it was, just didn't appeal to me.

However, it's very sad to hear of how badly LTC has declined, especially as it had SO. MUCH. POTENTIAL. It seems like LTC had the same fate as White Flint Mall, which is now completely closed down. I do wonder if Tyson's Corner/Galleria will face the same demise, especially with the Silver Line opening? What do you guys think?
I just want to point this out for people reading this that LTC = Largo Town Center, is not the same thing as the Blvd. There are two completely different shopping centers.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:57 PM

146 posts, read 449,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
I just want to point this out for people reading this that LTC = Largo Town Center, is not the same thing as the Blvd. There are two completely different shopping centers.
Oops. The Blvd it is. Sorry for any misunderstanding, I meant Blvd all the way.

Old 07-22-2014, 03:22 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,400,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy1369 View Post
Tysons Corner/Galleria will not face the same demise because the Silver Line because Pentagon City Mall(built 25 years ago) is still a Major Upscale Indoor Mall that sits on top of the Subway Station.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:25 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,206,627 times
I was there for the first time in a good long while (excluding the Chick Fil A last June) with an old friend celebrating her post-22nd bday with her friend at Magic Johnson and Friday's 3 Saturdays ago. I really couldn't believe how empty many of the storefronts were....Even Starbucks was gone!!! If not even a Starbucks or Panda Express could be successful than something must be wrong. The new gym that has occupied the space left by Books A Million was a welcoming sight though. As for the crowd that day/night, had a few shifty looking types but it wasn't that bad really. Not as much people as it used to be. Security was all over the place until 12am near the MJ theater and food court area. There were still some teeny boppy stores and sit down restaurants near the theater including a new burger joint that I heard was pretty good. I have not given up hope on the BLVD yet but it's got quite the hole to climb out of to be honest (I used to love going there as a tween). I prefer to do most of my shopping at St. Charles Mall, Brandywine Crossing, Bowie Town Center, and Annapolis Mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland