U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 12:55 AM

421 posts, read 345,096 times

Advertisements

I am looking for someone to tell me info on the organization Jack & Jill. My family has just been invited to join a chapter in the DC, But before I make a descision, I would like to have some inside info on the org. I know each chapter is different, but I suspect some things are quite similar like dues, initiation process, teen conferences etc. if you could give me a run down of what your chapter was like...the good/bad etc. I would appreciate it. Also, we are very well off I would like for my children to be around other african american kids with money(I know that sounds snooty,but I'm being honest) Would Jack & Jill be a perfect fit? I heard some chapters may be ghetto?

Old 12-02-2007, 07:34 AM

196 posts, read 708,051 times
You're right,that sounds snooty. So, white kids with money or black kids without money are the undesirables,eh? lol

Old 12-02-2007, 07:18 PM

26 posts, read 100,488 times
Default Jack and Jill

I was in Jack in Jill up until I finished high school in 1989. I can understand why you want your kids (or kid) to join Jack and Jill and to be around other children who come from families that are well off. It is good for your kids to be exposed to other kids who come from a similair back ground. You know the saying: "birds of a feather flock together". I was in a Jack and Jill chapter in Montgomery County and no one there was "ghetto". But I don't have any knowledge about D.C. Check out the people before you join and then you should be able to tell. There is a book called Our Kind of People: Inside America's Black Upper Class by Lawrence Otis Graham which has information on Jack and Jill in it. Did you check out the website?

Old 12-03-2007, 12:39 PM

770 posts, read 3,344,942 times
Reverse the question, what if I wanted to find a chapter for well off white kids? I would be racist? Unbelievebale, such a one way street.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:24 PM

421 posts, read 345,096 times
You would not have to ask, you could just send them to St. Albans, or join the Junior League, located in Georgetown. White people do this all the time. The only difference is you dont have to search for it. You can just move to Potomac, Or great FAlls and get what I am searching for. Thats the difference. And I never said that I did not want my kids to not have white friends. But black children who are affluent need to know they are not the only one's, and whats wrong with putting your accademically inclined kids around other kids and parents who are like minded?

Old 12-03-2007, 09:15 PM

Mos, I was pretty sure that's what you were getting at, but it just struck me as funny. Then again, I got a tweested sense of humor.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:44 PM

The point is if a WHITE person sat here and asked the same thing you are asking, we would have a negative rep left and right. I feel ya, because when I looked at buying a home and checked the student profile to make sure the majority of students had the same ethnic background as my son. But I can not say that outloud in a conversation because I would be considered racists. That is my point. Watch and see all the negative reps I get from this post...and my point will be proven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mos82 View Post
You would not have to ask, you could just send them to St. Albans, or join the Junior League, located in Georgetown. White people do this all the time. The only difference is you dont have to search for it. You can just move to Potomac, Or great FAlls and get what I am searching for. Thats the difference. And I never said that I did not want my kids to not have white friends. But black children who are affluent need to know they are not the only one's, and whats wrong with putting your accademically inclined kids around other kids and parents who are like minded?

Old 12-04-2007, 05:34 PM

You shouldn't get negative replies to that. The fact of the matter is, in nature - both human and animal - we are more comfortable around our own kind. It's just natural. I like being around a lot of diversity too at times, but overall I like being around country folks instead of big city folks. Regardless of their color, really.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:56 PM

746 posts, read 610,951 times
Default Oh shut up already

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njrover0216 View Post
Reverse the question, what if I wanted to find a chapter for well off white kids? I would be racist? Unbelievebale, such a one way street.

Njrover, Please cut the poor Iím white and I cannot say anything routine. It is getting so old you need to just let it go dude.

This has nothing to do with race at all. It has to do with class. Jack and Jill (which my family is a part of) is an organization designed to give upper class affluent black children living in predominately white neighborhoods a chance to meet and greet each other.

First of all if you were white and upper class you would not have said or responded the way you did, which leads me to believe you're white most likely poor, lower middle or at best middle class.

Let me rephrase what she would have asked if she was a white affluent upper middle class parent moving to an all black upper middle class new area and had been invited to join the social registry in McLean, VA or preferred her children to meet and play with other upper class white children. Remember the original post did not say anything about have her children exclusive associating with blacks.

"I'm moving to a neighborhood in Woodmore, MD, that is predominately African American and affluent. While i moved here for the diversity it offers my family, I would also like to join a few of the local elite organizations in McLean, VA, so my children also have the opportunity to play with and associate with other children that share their same cultural heritage and happen to be affluent."

Again there is nothing racist about either statement. Now if you want to argue about classism you clearly have a go, but seriously shut up with the Iím a white male victim crap it makes you look like a total bigot or 4 year old.

The point here is not to exclude people based on race if the children are black and upper middle class most of their friends are going to be white. Hello there are a lot more upper class whites than blacks, so it sort of goes without saying, but what's wrong with also having them associate with other affluent black families and get to build those relationships? Hence why what you said would lead me to believe the only racist on this board is you sir.

Old 12-08-2007, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthhurts View Post
Njrover, Please cut the poor I’m white and I cannot say anything routine. It is getting so old you need to just let it go dude.

This has nothing to do with race at all. It has to do with class. Jack and Jill (which my family is a part of) is an organization designed to give upper class affluent black children living in predominately white neighborhoods a chance to meet and greet each other.

First of all if you were white and upper class you would not have said or responded the way you did, which leads me to believe you're white most likely poor, lower middle or at best middle class.

Let me rephrase what she would have asked if she was a white affluent upper middle class parent moving to an all black upper middle class new area and had been invited to join the social registry in McLean, VA or preferred her children to meet and play with other upper class white children. Remember the original post did not say anything about have her children exclusive associating with blacks.

blah...

"I'm moving to a neighborhood in Woodmore, MD, that is predominately African American and affluent. While i moved here for the diversity it offers my family, I would also like to join a few of the local elite organizations in McLean, VA, so my children also have the opportunity to play with and associate with other children that share their same cultural heritage and happen to be affluent."

blah

Again there is nothing racist about either statement. Now if you want to argue about classism you clearly have a go, but seriously shut up with the I’m a white male victim crap it makes you look like a total bigot or 4 year old.

Again I am not a white male, I am a white female. Who is not reading the posts correctly now.

The point here is not to exclude people based on race if the children are black and upper middle class most of their friends are going to be white. Hello there are a lot more upper class whites than blacks, so it sort of goes without saying, but what's wrong with also having them associate with other affluent black families and get to build those relationships? Hence why what you said would lead me to believe the only racist on this board is you sir.

First off...I am not a dude..LOL. And if you think that white folks can speak there mind you are sadly mistaken. Luckily I was raised in NY, which means I don't give a %#^#Yes I know exactly what the organization is..Next my social status,my income tax return last year stated we brought in 76K last year, that is based on a one income salary since I have decided to stay at home and raise my children until they are in school, then I will go back to work. So if that makes me poor, oh well. I live in a very nice area, in a nice home, drive a nice car, vacation and my children do not go without.But most of all I am very happyoh and Again I am not a white male, I am a white female. Who is not reading the posts correctly now.

Ok so say I was a poor white folk, like you believe that I am(by the way next time you call the cops call a crackhead...LOL), and I live in a ghetto, which more black people do, and I want my child to hang out with more white kids...that would be ok to ask around about? I think not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland