U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2014, 08:42 PM

303 posts, read 290,691 times

Advertisements

Hi. A little background: I have been living in the DC metro area for 2 years and 7 months. First in Glenmont, then Woodley Park for 14 months and finally Friendship Heights, where I have been since June. I have explored nature, musuems, etc. all around NE, SE, NW, SW and PG, Mont. county, Fairfax and Alexandria and overall, really like the area and find it to not be as bad as some people say. Though perhaps it is luck, etc. Maybe not though but that is not the point of this post. Any way, I started running in late June shortly after moving to Fship Heights and have made it a point, during ditance runs, to go all over the district and surrounding areas to really explore. On a few longer distance runs (12-14+ miles) I have gone past Cottage City and Mt. Ranier (seem interesting enough) into Landover and Cheverly, 2-3 times so far. These are some of the only places I have truly gotten very badly lost on my runs and I honestly can not say I get how the streets are laid out. I will be glad to provide images showing what I describe, but here are some things I have noticed on these runs.

Maybe there is a method to the urban developers madness and plans...But yah, one particular planned 12 or so mile run turned into around 18 or so and here are a few of the reasons:

1. The first thing I noticed, in hindsight: This was around Gallatin St. which has some odd turns in of it self, but what got me was: Around Jefferson Trail you have 57th ave. Sure. But going west on this street leads you to...60th? I could not figure out what happened to 58 and 59. You take a left at 60th and meet up with Gallatin and 59 Pl. You have to go north up 59th PL to catch back up back with Gallatin (okay?) which is to the left of 59th Pl and as you continue west on Gallatin you find...another 59? (I don't get it). 59th ave this time. Continue west and you hit ..you would think 58, right? no. Not 58 but 57th Pl (what happened to 58?). Later on, a block north of Gallatin and 59th ave, you have Jefferson St for half a block..it ends almost as soon as it starts but picks up again before abrubtly ending again. Plus having two streets with Jefferson (one trail, one st) so near to each other is kind of confusing too. But the most major thing for me was, more or less the streets went 57th ave right to 60th ave back to 59th pl than another 59th, this time 59th ave. Ugh. Got lost in this area and did some circles...

2. Around 54th ave, the next street that comes is 54 pl. what? Now 55th ave..Okay, think I got it, so 55 pl next? No? The heck? 56 ave? (I thought maybe "ave" and "pl" alternated with each number, but no, not that it would really make sense IMO). Now I remember going (south) 56th ave, but it did not keep me on 56th, as it turns into 56 PL which a lot of people could miss ...upon closer inspection 56 ave just kind of veers off. And if you are not paying attention to the "pl" and "ave" but just the numbers (who could mistake a newbie to the area)..you get lost...

3. Go to google and look at Old Landover road to the west and see how it. Just. abrubtly ends before the highway. Okay. Sure. But look to the east (of the highway), and, oh, it ... reappears. What? But especially for such a small distance?? Before the road finally turns into Pennsy and you get to the metro. Why not just rename Old Landover portion to the east into..I dunno..Pennsy as soon as it turns off of Landover?? You effecitvely have two Old Landover roads which are in no way connected. I was running and knew I had to take a left off of Landover onto Old Landover..but never expected this type of street design where taking the left at the wrong time sends me to a dead end...on the street I was, technically, supposed to be on. But yah, I do not know the area and the way it is laid out really confuses me.

So, I could name a few more examples but maybe someone can help me find a method to the way in which these areas are laid out, or reasoning. Because I was highly confused and want to see what the ideas were when designing the streets. They are not a grid but also not even resembling the DC system just a few miles away.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 10:51 PM

10,791 posts, read 15,780,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmusic29 View Post
So, I could name a few more examples but maybe someone can help me find a method to the way in which these areas are laid out, or reasoning. Because I was highly confused and want to see what the ideas were when designing the streets. They are not a grid but also not even resembling the DC system just a few miles away.
You have made some very interesting observations. I can't explain the rationale of the PG streets either.

At the risk of being flamed, I will note that I think the reason for Prince George's lack of prosperity is that the streets don't go where anyone needs to go. For example, the streets like New Hampshire Ave which should be heading into the District, but just peter out. Or the ones like Chillum Road which go off at an odd angle away from the District.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:42 AM

74 posts, read 76,889 times
Try riding through Beltsville on MD 212, it starts where 201 ends abruptly on Powder Mill, follows US1 north, crosses Annandale, turns left for Ritz Way for one block which intersects and then becomes Virginia Manor Dr, then turns into Annandale again which you crossed three miles ago. Whew! Then you cross Powder Mill before 95, and becomes Powder Mill again once you cross 95!

Old 02-10-2014, 11:24 AM

26 posts, read 53,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmusic29 View Post
You effecitvely have two Old Landover roads which are in no way connected.
This is very common in Prince George's County. Let's see:

Campus Way in the Largo area.
The road starts off as Campus Way South by Prince George's Community College. Then is changes into Campus Way North after crossing Central Avenue. Then it abruptly ends in Lake Arbor after passing Lake Arbor Way, only to reappear in Lake Arbor again south of Lottsford Road. The road continues as Campus Way North into Woodmore Towne Centre. There is no direct way to get to PGCC from WTC on Campus Way......

Church Road in West Bowie Village
When Annapolis Road (MD 450) was widened thru Bowie in the mid 2000s, it was realigned in the West Bowie Village area, turning the former routing into "Old" Annapolis Road. A new housing development was built on the south side of 450 adjacent to Fairwood near the High Bridge Road intersection, called Woodmore North. A new road, CHURCH ROAD was constructed into this new community from the MD 450/High Bridge Road intersection, with no connection to the original CHURCH ROAD, which is about 1/2 mile to the east, that runs from "Old" Annapolis Road to the east side of Fairwood. Long term plans are to connect these roads and turn the existing Church Road into "Old" Church Road. But until then, you have two Church Roads in the same area with no connections to one another.

Hill Oaks Road by FedEx Field
This road is should go from FedEx Field to Hill Road, but G James Gholson Middle School was placed in the middle of the roadway just west of Nalley Road, so you have two Hill Oaks Roads in Landover that aren't connected. And you cannot use parking lot as a connector as the school's parking lot does not connect either side of Hill Oaks Road.

And there are so many others that do not connect to one another:
Marlboro Pike thru Upper Marlboro
Livingston Road thru Fort Washington and Accokeek
Rhode Island Avenue in Hyattsville, Riverdale Park and College Park
Edmonston Road as it parallels Kenilworth Avenue

Even the new I-95 / Contee Road Interchange that's under construction between the ICC and MD 198, will not directly connect to the existing Contee Road down by Route 1 in Laurel. From I-95, you will have to turn left from Contee Road onto Van Dusen Road to get back onto Contee Road.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:06 PM

2,291 posts, read 1,674,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyendis View Post
This is very common in Prince George's County. Let's see:

Campus Way in the Largo area.
The road starts off as Campus Way South by Prince George's Community College. Then is changes into Campus Way North after crossing Central Avenue. Then it abruptly ends in Lake Arbor after passing Lake Arbor Way, only to reappear in Lake Arbor again south of Lottsford Road. The road continues as Campus Way North into Woodmore Towne Centre. There is no direct way to get to PGCC from WTC on Campus Way......

Church Road in West Bowie Village
When Annapolis Road (MD 450) was widened thru Bowie in the mid 2000s, it was realigned in the West Bowie Village area, turning the former routing into "Old" Annapolis Road. A new housing development was built on the south side of 450 adjacent to Fairwood near the High Bridge Road intersection, called Woodmore North. A new road, CHURCH ROAD was constructed into this new community from the MD 450/High Bridge Road intersection, with no connection to the original CHURCH ROAD, which is about 1/2 mile to the east, that runs from "Old" Annapolis Road to the east side of Fairwood. Long term plans are to connect these roads and turn the existing Church Road into "Old" Church Road. But until then, you have two Church Roads in the same area with no connections to one another.

Hill Oaks Road by FedEx Field
This road is should go from FedEx Field to Hill Road, but G James Gholson Middle School was placed in the middle of the roadway just west of Nalley Road, so you have two Hill Oaks Roads in Landover that aren't connected. And you cannot use parking lot as a connector as the school's parking lot does not connect either side of Hill Oaks Road.

And there are so many others that do not connect to one another:
Marlboro Pike thru Upper Marlboro
Livingston Road thru Fort Washington and Accokeek
Rhode Island Avenue in Hyattsville, Riverdale Park and College Park
Edmonston Road as it parallels Kenilworth Avenue

Even the new I-95 / Contee Road Interchange that's under construction between the ICC and MD 198, will not directly connect to the existing Contee Road down by Route 1 in Laurel. From I-95, you will have to turn left from Contee Road onto Van Dusen Road to get back onto Contee Road.
Campus Way is incomplete North of Lake Arbor Way. The same applies to Church Road. Looks like completing these roads aren't a top priority and someone made a big mistake with putting the school in the middle of the road. Who approved the location of the school and how they overlook something so obvious?

The rest of the list consist of new alignment taking over existing roads making them obsolete.

Notice Malboro Pike in Upper Malboro does not connect with Malboro Pike west of the Capital Beltway. Malboro Pike was there first but both the extension of Pennslvania Ave and the Capital Beltway diminish Malboro Pike. Pennsylvania Ave used to end at Southern Ave.

The same happened with Livingston Road. Indian Head Highway cut through Livingston Road. Parts of Livingston Road was incorporated into Indian Head Highway.

Edmonston Road existed before Kenilworth Ave was built.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:10 AM

303 posts, read 290,691 times
Thank you for your input guys! I found that PG county more towards the end of the orange and Green (greenbelt side) lines (and somewhat beyond) were the areas difficult to navigate for pedestrians and bikers especially (but I imagine via car it is hard too). I had a heck of a time finding a safe way (one that includes sidewalks) to Greenbelt area (run) and still had to risk it when I found that, while in the middle of the run, Metzerott had no sidewalks (I really should have done google street view instead of just assuming). University Blvd also proved interesting (should have google street viewed instead of assuming it was the same UNI Blvd, with sidewalks, that I was used to from dozens and dozens of trips in Wheaton). I have found, however, that roads seem to be way easier to navigate around Capitol Heights/Addison Road (have not been beyond Addison yet) and around Naylor/Southern. So I guess that is a different part of PG but had no issue there besides wondering why they plopped a metro around Cheights (no offense to anyone around there..perhaps it just looked ..dismal..with all the melting dirty snow around it and grey skies). Although the exception to my observation was College Park. I found a pretty nice, though not direct, way to there and the neighborhoods I took in the last mile seemed quiet and peaceful and not the ones I had heard so much about (negative rep) - like Amherst and Dartmouth and I think Queens Chapel also seemed nice but the first two stuck out as being the opposite of what I had heard of the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland