U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2014, 01:59 PM

494 posts, read 648,247 times

Advertisements

We have been looking to relocate to the DC metro area for a few months. We initially were looking at the Baltimore area, but realized the jobs and area didn't meet our needs. We have looked and thought that the Silver Spring Area might be perfect for us. We like the walkable downtown and the fact that it is more diverse (and cheaper!) than places like Bethesda.
There is not a lot of inventory now, I imagine due to winter. My questions is this: on a 600-800k budget, can we afford a house or townhouse near the downtown area. Walking distance to Metro is paramount to us, but we'd also like to be able to walk to other amenities. In Silver Spring, I think the are one in the same. I've also thought about near the Takoma station, but that doesn't seem as ideal.

Another question? We are mid 30s. Every time I see the SS area mentioned, it's in reference to millenneals. Is there room for people like us? We don't have kids, so looking for places good for DINKs. Although, kids might come...

I want this to be my last move...

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 03:10 PM

1,655 posts, read 1,480,622 times
$600-800K should be just enough to largely get you the pick of the litter.

For townhomes there's one cluster of about 50 units in the middle of downtown (none currently up for sale, but you're right that's probably mostly to do with winter), that generally go for $600-675K: 1221 FIDLER Ln, SILVER SPRING, MD 20910 | MLS# MC8222660 | Redfin
Just outside of downtown is a new EYA (very high quality, well regarded builder that also did the townhomes mentioned above) development that's just gone on sale for $700-900K: Chelsea Heights: An EYA Townhome Neighborhood in Silver Spring, MD
there are other townhome clusters just north of downtown (also none currently for sale there).

For single family homes there are abundant options surrounding downtown Silver Spring on all sides, within walking distance to everything. Woodside Park (north side of downtown) is probably the highest priced area you'll find as it's the most picturesque (cute, older houses, large trees, very well maintained, etc.). East Silver Spring, which has a mix between renovated houses for $600K-750K+ and unrenovated houses that are being snatched up for 400-500K and then renovated, is nice in that it's the closest to all the interesting, unique restaurants/bars found on the east side (aka Fenton Village).

Mid-30s is definitely a well-represented group in downtown Silver Spring. Silver Spring has a lot of different housing options (apartments, condos, townhomes, detached homes) in close proximity so you see a whole mix of different people at different ages/stages of their life. Single yuppies, DINKs, and young families are all extremely common.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:14 PM

494 posts, read 648,247 times
Thanks for the reply. That's really helpful and makes me feel a lot better. I've also heard good things about Rockville? How does it compare to Silver Spring? I think it might not be as convenient to working in White Oak, but if it's a good place to live. I should consider it.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:52 PM

11,104 posts, read 18,762,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguy17 View Post
I've also heard good things about Rockville? How does it compare to Silver Spring? I think it might not be as convenient to working in White Oak, but if it's a good place to live. I should consider it.
The urban area of Rockville is probably larger than Silver Spring. It has some nicer historic homes that range into $1 million plus ranges, and more shopping options like furniture stores. IMHO, it is not worth the longer commute to live in Rockville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland