U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2007, 09:06 PM

4 posts, read 9,929 times

Advertisements

I'm a new college grad and have the opportunity to move to MD or NVA for work. I have 2 different job offers, in MD I would work in Greenbelt and in NVA I would work in the Dulles area. I would be renting for several (many?) years, then would be looking into buying a SFH or a townhouse if the area is extra pricey. All things considered, cost of living, crime, schools for future kids, commute, recreation..... What do you all think, NVA or MD?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 11:53 PM

415 posts, read 1,777,896 times
NOVA. Maryland has become one of the worst states thanks to MO'M.

Old 12-03-2007, 05:38 AM

865 posts, read 2,246,474 times
How about living in DC and doing a reverse commute? It would be a great place to live, and there is a large post-college crowd. You could potentially take the Metro out to Greenbelt if you worked there (depending on how close the job is to a Metro stop).

Old 12-03-2007, 09:54 AM

37 posts, read 179,158 times
Default Go with Bandwagon OR Make a value play

Greenbelt is in Prince George's county and that county suffers from an undeserved stigma. I personally moved from Northern Virginia to Maryland to get more for my money. I had a rather typical single-family home in Arlington (although an upscale section) and was able to move into a brand new custom home sitting on the Potomac for the same price in Prince George's.

The price disparity in some cases is COMPLETELY unjustified. There is no crime to speak of where I am and yet the reputation of a relatively small area where crime is bad detracts from the whole county (one of the largest counties in the whole state). Part of the problem is that there is a countywide police force, so that whenever crime is reported in one area, the name of the whole county is invoked.

Ultimately it comes down to which is more important to you, hype or value. The hype factor has always made the NoVA real estate market volatile and overdevelopment has in some respects lowered the living standard. With the overpricing and overdevelopment you will have a lot of options, but your money will go much further in Greenbelt.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:05 PM

129 posts, read 411,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emsgoof View Post
NOVA. Maryland has become one of the worst states thanks to MO'M.
He means Governor Martin O'Malley, who has been in office slightly less than one year and has certainly not had a meaningful impact on the state one way or the other. All the circumstances that O'Malley confronts were in place long before he became governor. However his term plays out, the idea that someone's decision to live and work in Maryland for years to come should be swayed by this one politician is ridiculous.

If it were me, I'd take the Maryland job and find a place to live that was as close as possible to the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland