Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2014, 03:45 PM

4 posts, read 7,537 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Relocating to SS area and need advice from those in the know. have been looking a bit but when you don't know the area well, it's hard! We have 3 children 8,10 & 13 so schools are important. We're looking for a newer 4/5 bd home maybe under between $500 &800. it would be great if it had a yard & maybe in a community with a pool, walking trails etc.
Have thought about a bit further out as well- Gaithersburg, Germantown etc but one of us will be working in SS. Too far?
Look forward to hearing any thought or advice on the areas!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 08:08 PM

2,187 posts, read 2,683,598 times
Yeah, Germantown/Gaithersburg is very far from ideal. Traveling 18-22 miles during rush hour twice a day is not something I'd wish on anyone. Your budget is high enough that you should be able to avoid the situation. The only upside to living that far out would be all the housing options will fit your criteria of being "newer." Most of the immediate SS area for your price range and size needs is going to be renovated/well-maintained classics from the 20s and 30s, e.g.
902 MANSION Dr, SILVER SPRING, MD 20910 | MLS# MC8224926 | Redfin
814 GIST Ave, SILVER SPRING, MD 20910 | MLS# MC8296961 | Redfin

There are SOME newer homes, but the inventory will be limited. E.g. if you go a couple miles north on Colesville Rd. you get this new build. 10308 LORAIN Ave, SILVER SPRING, MD 20901 | MLS# MC8298433 | Redfin
Hopefully with Spring around the corner inventory will pick up a bit and you'll have more options to choose from. There are a number of new townhome communities in the area, but those might not fit your need. Usually the green space is shared or consists of small backyards. E.g. this upscale community from EYA (a very well respected local builder) that's currently selling - Chelsea Heights: An EYA Townhome Neighborhood in Silver Spring, MD

Last edited by bufflove; 03-25-2014 at 08:50 PM..

Old 03-25-2014, 09:05 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,011,367 times
There do not tend to be communities with pools, but Montgomery County has excellent pools where you can buy season passes. You might look at Olney or Brookeville for newer construction (eg 1980's and 1990's), and proximity to the MoCo pool at 16605 Georgia Avenue. Examples: http://www.redfin.com/MD/Brookeville.../home/10733603 or
http://www.redfin.com/MD/Brookeville.../home/10731766

There is also the Poplar Run development off Layhill Road which is planned to have nature trails and planned open space. It will have a pool, and it is close to the county aquatic center on New Hampshire Ave. There will be brand new houses in your price range, but they will be on small lots. Try Google for details, as there are several builders.

Last edited by goldenage1; 03-25-2014 at 09:39 PM..

Old 03-26-2014, 09:10 AM

12 posts, read 20,735 times
If you're looking further out I would try looking at the Bonifant Road area. There are a couple of newer communities built in the late 80's/early 90's that are very familiy friendly and have neighborhood pools and parks. The area around where bonifant and layhill meet is pretty good too. if you want to spend extra money on a newer/larger home then the area around Norbeck Road might suit you. Olney is a pretty nice area as well

Old 03-26-2014, 02:28 PM

396 posts, read 1,104,914 times
I think the Bonifant Road area is ok too. If you want new, try Poplar Run (which is nearby), off Layhill. Brand new community.

Where Bonifant meets Layhill is not so great, in my opinion. You will get a larger house for your money, but if you have that much money you may be disappointed in amenities. Shopping Center nearby is not that great.

The Longmead development is from the 1990s and has some homes in the 500s. It's pretty nice, has a pool, sidewalks, walking trail near the ICC roadway, but is not near very much else.

I also think there are some small new developments, maybe in your price range:
Silver Spring, Md New Homes - NewHomesGuide.com

Old 03-27-2014, 08:28 AM

12 posts, read 20,735 times
I agree that the homes in Poplar Run are nicer and newer but the big concern I had with buying there was that it fed in to Kenndey High School which isn't that great.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeChick86 View Post
I agree that the homes in Poplar Run are nicer and newer but the big concern I had with buying there was that it fed in to Kenndey High School which isn't that great.
For new residents, I have to point out that Kennedy is part of the 5-school Downcounty Consortium. The students have the option of specialized concentrations at the other schools, such as engineering and IT at Wheaton and STEM at Blair. There is even an International Baccalaureate program at Kennedy and Einstein for the academically gifted. So you can find a good program for a student living in Poplar Run. Details here: Downcounty Consortium (DCC) - Montgomery County Public Schools, Rockville, MD

Old 03-27-2014, 05:44 PM

4 posts, read 7,537 times
Thank you everyone!! Great info! Looking into everything!
I heard about the downtown consortium high schools but is it a lottery?

Old 03-27-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie Tallulah View Post
I heard about the downtown consortium high schools but is it a lottery?
Yes. I don't know how difficult it is, but some details are here: Choice Process in Detail for the Downcounty Consortium - Montgomery County Public Schools, Rockville, MD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland