U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 12:56 PM

551 posts, read 1,664,679 times

Advertisements

There is a stereotype, and not a nice one, of African American communities as "ghetto." The whole hip hop culture gets a lot of coverage on tv. I am guessing that all the OP wanted to convey is that she wants to live in a nice area with good schools and nice homes -- in other words just using "affluent" as the opposite of "impoverished." It is a matter of semantics what constitutes wealthy or affluent or middle-class but not all that important. To the OP, depending on where you are working, Rockville has a LOT of traffic. Rockville Pike is one strip mall after another. There are nice neighborhoods, but traffic is a major pain. I think the closer you get to the beltway the better, and if you can't do that being close to a metro station is a big plus. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 01:48 PM

1,389 posts, read 5,671,508 times
Rockville is very nice but I do not think it have a reputation of famil orientated area. i think Chevy Chase,Bethesda or potomac are known more for raising a family.
The traffic in Rockville you will hate. Most people who live in rockville do not drive they take the metro. If you and your family are planning on traveling by metro then I think you will like rockville but try to avoid driving as much as possible. Rockville do have a lot of strip malls but white Flint mall is nice which is located in rockville.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:33 PM

884 posts, read 2,311,222 times
Damn,
The woman wants to know about a neighborhood and people are hung up on "affluent", she is just saying that she doesn't want to live in the hood with Ray-Ray and Shenequia. A lot of times people will point out "PG County" to a black family like that area is the only choice. My husband and I visited there and just did not care for any of the neighborhoods and the schools there suck.

I think Rockville has nice spots-and some just look very average. Some of the homes are no larger than 1200sq ft, no garage and the price-tag is 400k!. AND the houses need to be gutted of that horrible 60's wood paneling. Chevy Chase is uber nice and I lean towards some of the neighborhoods in Silver Spring off Columbia Pike going towards Burtonsville. Laurel (Howard county side) is very nice also.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:58 PM

198 posts, read 833,994 times
If you have $$$ to spend, Rockville would not be my first choice either. I think you will have to weigh schools, commute time, and diversity carefully. If you are commuting downtown, I would look inside the beltway at Bethesda and Chevy Chase as well. Though these communities are not as diverse as Rockville, there are AA families, and they are affluent.

As for hair, I've tried quite a few upscale salons in downtown DC and inside the beltway montgomery county. All of them have had at least one person that does AA hair. I go to Elizabeth Arden in Friendship Heights right now and there are always AA clients there.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:05 AM

913 posts, read 2,830,439 times
I am very affluent...I owned a villa in France and have 2 ferraris

Old 12-11-2007, 12:15 PM

70 posts, read 217,649 times
Hello AA,

I'm black and i was once a resident of Rockville, MD-Montgomery County....very nice area...i regret leaving...it's such a nice area....very intelligent people....the schools are great as well...Chevy Chase is nice upscale and pricey area...Potomac,MD also a bit expensive but nice....you'll love it......I wish your family the best....but if you are looking for only a black affluent area, your best choice would be Mitchellville, MD-Prince Georges County.....the schools in PG suck....

Old 12-11-2007, 01:37 PM

14,330 posts, read 19,016,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder View Post

If you read the threads from different states as I have, you will notice the tone and subject matter of the Californians carries a more superficial slant. They just don't see it because they are steeped in it day in day out. This is intended as a criticism, just an observation.
You mean threads like this?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-f...ml#post2224689

Old 12-11-2007, 01:48 PM

305 posts, read 1,195,261 times
To Original Poster:

If you can do private schools, perhaps you can think about Fort Washington Tantallon? Or maybe Upper Marlboro and/or Mitchellville (in the newer areas). They are mostly affluent AA (I'm AA before anybody says anything about steering AA's to PG).

Only problem with these areas is schools suck and you will have to go elsewhere for shopping.

I also think Chevy Chase is nice, as is Kensington, but not that much AA population.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:56 PM

1,389 posts, read 5,671,508 times
If you do move to Fort Washington area you will have the National Harbor which will be very very nice. There is nothing on the entire East Coast that can compare to the National such as restaurants,shopping and entertainment.
The problem with houses in Rockville is they are ugly,old,small house.
Chevy Chase have nicer homes,nice community and is very Affulent.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:19 PM

746 posts, read 610,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post
If you do move to Fort Washington area you will have the National Harbor which will be very very nice. There is nothing on the entire East Coast that can compare to the National such as restaurants,shopping and entertainment.
The problem with houses in Rockville is they are ugly,old,small house.
Chevy Chase have nicer homes,nice community and is very Affulent.

Iscalder, do you work for the National Harbor or something? Almost everytime i read one of your post you're talking about the national harbor. The forum could be about "Why do Women with one leg work at IHOP" and your response would "Well they do not at the one in the National Harbor blah blah don't forget National Harbor PG Maryland" and if you're not saying that you're saying "Well, you just do not like women with one leg cause most of them are Black blah blah you're just jealous of one legged black women blah blah National harbor giddy giddy"......geez give it a rest Iscalder!

If you're not employed by them you may want to think about!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland