U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 10:19 PM

884 posts, read 2,314,262 times

Advertisements

Truth-that was a great breakdown.

To the OP--what do you define as affluent? In Cali terms it could mean something entirely different than out this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 10:26 PM

884 posts, read 2,314,262 times
Like I said, people that truly have money do not need to call themselves "affluent" or create a name with the car they drive. Wealth is measured in terms of "net worth" not how much debt you can "afford"

>>>>>>> Reading is fundamental. I NEVER said I was affluent. I already explained the screen name. Where you live(Eagan MN) it is 86% white with a 3% black population. How could you even attempt to understand why the OP was looking for a particular type of neighborhood? The class dynamics of the black are way to complicated for you to comprehend. I just hope the OP got the information she was looking for.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:44 PM

746 posts, read 612,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
This thread is just ignorant. As far as the assumption that I do not like "uppity" people! Didn't I say that I lived in Greenwich, CT? I have absolutely no problem with people that are wealthy but I have never in my life heard any true wealthy person refer to themselves as "affluent", not even some of the wealthiest families in Greenwich, as well as the fact that most wealthy people do not drive expensive cars or spend lavishly, basically people that are truly wealthy have absolutely nothing to prove to anybody.

I work in the financial sector and based on my experience, most people that drive expensive cars and spend lavishly are NOT wealthy. People like this OP are people that are deep in debt, they often have a negative net worth and no investments. Because I have dealt with many wealthy clients, they mostly drive average cars, own their homes free and clear (wealthy people do not have mortgages) and have large amounts of money invested in mutual funds, bonds and hedge funds (those that have a higher net worth).

The reason why I question this thread is because I have dealt with too many ignorant people that consider themselves wealthy but in fact have nothing of wealth. Like I explained, wealth is measured in terms of net worth, if you earn 200 K and spend 250K, you are not rich, you have a negative net worth.

Wealthy people often drive average cars, have a lot of money in investments and do not spend money on cars (financially, purchasing a new car is one of the worst investments because of quick depreciation). Conclusion: Wealthy people own their homes free and clear and have a positive net worth and much of their wealth allocated to investments. I majored in Economics and believe me, I know what I am talking about

Luke, you have not said nothing that any "affluent" person would disagree with. I happen to agree with a lot of what you're saying and I too happen to know "affluent", rich, and wealthy individuals and you're right they do not spend lavishly on depreciating assets.

I also work in fianance, so the fact that you studied economics or work in finance is moot and means little to nothing. The fact that you lived in Greenwich means little to nothing. Hell, you could ive in McLean, VA and be dirt broke or poor, so living in a neighborhood around the "affluent" and wealthy does not place you in the same economic class.

For starters my only grudge with you has to be with the point of the forum. This has nothing to do with your definition of "affluent" or "wealthy" nor does it have to do with mine. The person asked a simple question and if you lived in the DC Metro area it could have been stated very easily. Rockville is not remotely considred affluent, but Potomac is etc.

I'm not sure why you are even chimming in and making a lame argument about the definition of "affluent"? It is pointless and meaningless to this particular OP question.

Okay here's the clincher have you read or managed this persons money or had access to their financial accounts or most recent statements? Do you know their portfolio allocation and have you reviewed their net worth? Who the $uck are you to make such a judgement without any relevent information?

Dude, you're clearly insecure and why? Have you made valid points about wealth? Yes, you have! Do your points have anything to remotely do with the OP? Hell freaking NO!.....

What's your real issue here dude? Is it the fact that she used the word "affluent" its a very subjective word, so if that is your biggest issue start a forum about the meaning and we can discuss it there.

If you are familiar with the DC Metro area and would like to offer them some advice on an "affluent" neighborhood please do otherwise your attacking post are just pointless.

BTW I work in finance as well, but that has nothing to do with any of this nor would i use that as a bases to sway public argument towards my opinion on wealth. Your saying i work in finance therefore i know is no different then what you're saying in terms of this person using the word "affluent."

Now I challegne you to start a forum discussing exactly what you have stated here and we can debate it there. I think it would be pretty informative to most seeking that information, but this person is clearly not seeking this information from you. Please create it and i'd happily discuss a number of financial things with you and add to the debate etc.....Email me when you create the forum and i'll be there.....

Old 12-13-2007, 02:55 AM

1,845 posts, read 3,827,604 times
Truth

That is a good idea. It could be a very informative thread.

Bigblulandrover

Sorry Miss! It won't happen again.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:45 AM

72 posts, read 405,123 times
Thumbs up Amen

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeewee8 View Post
I think you will fit in fin ein whatever area you reside in because you feel being affluent means you must be around people who are affluent. There are many affluent African Americans in the State of MD and we socialize and live in different parts of the county. Your statement required a comment from me. I tell my students all the time if God has blessed you and you have made choices in life that make you successful never feel to good to or superior to be around others. I am often amazed when I observe parents who feel their child is to superior to be with another child. The other avaerage child who comes from the average home is usually the one who wins all the scholarships and has an awesome humble disposition.
I must tell this story. When my child was in Elementary a parent had paid for her child to have private violin lessons and another student was from a poor family who seriously struggled just to make ends meet. During the concert the child from the wealthy family refuse to play with the other girl so the music teacher gave them both solos. The young lady who had private lesson played like an average learning student. They introduced who she was studying under a make a big deal about it. Everyone in the audience was shocked by how poorly she played. The poor girl who borrowed the teachers v instrument and the school PTA purchased an instrument for her. This young lady played like a professional an dreceived a standing ovation. I sat this to the parent coming from California that today you may be wealthy and tommorrow you may be living next door to the people you call lower class. Nothing is promised in life.
I'm an AA single female who is "doing quite well for myself", but I certainly appreciate keeping a humble attitude about where I came from, and just how blessed I am. While I can understand wanting to stay away from the "ghetto culture" of ANY race, because as diverse as MD is, you could find " the ghetto" being white, black, hispanic people or any combination thereof, I don't like the "exclusionary" attitude that some of more "affluent" people have. Then again, if they want to exclude themselves, maybe I don't want to be around them anyway.

Old 12-14-2007, 06:47 AM

1,845 posts, read 3,827,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starr71 View Post
I'm an AA single female who is "doing quite well for myself", but I certainly appreciate keeping a humble attitude about where I came from, and just how blessed I am. While I can understand wanting to stay away from the "ghetto culture" of ANY race, because as diverse as MD is, you could find " the ghetto" being white, black, hispanic people or any combination thereof, I don't like the "exclusionary" attitude that some of more "affluent" people have. Then again, if they want to exclude themselves, maybe I don't want to be around them anyway.
Bravo Starr

After reading your post, I have come to realize why the OP's post caught my eye. I am looking for a place to relocate in the next two years or so. I went to New England a few months ago and an old friend was trying to convince me that Westport or Darien was the place for me. I have serious reservations.

I realize clearly now that I want to find a community where people, regardless of how affluent they are, don't go around saying they are affluent. Perhaps the OP wants the opposite. This is meant as a not a dis on the OP.

I have friends who moved into a middle class neighborhood in the Bay Area about 6 years ago. Their new neighbor from SF moved in a few months later and came over and actually told them that the reason they moved into this neighborhood was so that they could be BIG FISH in a small pond. NICE.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starr71 View Post

Well Starr "There's no in, if there's no out"

Last edited by truthhurts; 12-14-2007 at 09:49 AM..

Old 12-14-2007, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder View Post
Bravo Starr

After reading your post, I have come to realize why the OP's post caught my eye. I am looking for a place to relocate in the next two years or so. I went to New England a few months ago and an old friend was trying to convince me that Westport or Darien was the place for me. I have serious reservations.

I realize clearly now that I want to find a community where people, regardless of how affluent they are, don't go around saying they are affluent. Perhaps the OP wants the opposite. This is meant as a not a dis on the OP.

I have friends who moved into a middle class neighborhood in the Bay Area about 6 years ago. Their new neighbor from SF moved in a few months later and came over and actually told them that the reason they moved into this neighborhood was so that they could be BIG FISH in a small pond. NICE.

Bob, I agree with you most neighborhoods especially one as "affluent" as Darien, Ct, which is well established older money are not going to go around saying those things aloud in a public forum. Whereas a family from Potomac, MD would probably say something that to old money os socially offensive.

I tend to enjoy New England "affluent" individuals as opposed to Maryland affluent individuals. Affluent New England have been "rich" for three or four generations, so its older established more soically polite money. As opposed to the brash 1st generation new money of Maryland.

This is true for whites, blacks, and asians in Maryland that are new money. However, to give an even better example of classless new money look no further than Orange County, CA this is a great example of no class, but very affluent.

New money definitely tends to be braggards, drive fancy cars, have to have the latest greatest expense etc, because most of them are first generation money and grew up without the "finer" things lol. I also think its pyschological I mean if you never had large amounts of money you want to show others you have it and if you've had it for a long time you want to do everything in your power to show people you do not have it or at least not flash it in their face.

Anyway if you're as wealthy as you lead on i have no idea why you're discussing wealth or inquiring places to live from upper middle class people me included lol.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:37 PM

268 posts, read 1,006,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthhurts View Post
Luke, you have not said nothing that any "affluent" person would disagree with. I happen to agree with a lot of what you're saying and I too happen to know "affluent", rich, and wealthy individuals and you're right they do not spend lavishly on depreciating assets.

I also work in fianance, so the fact that you studied economics or work in finance is moot and means little to nothing. The fact that you lived in Greenwich means little to nothing. Hell, you could ive in McLean, VA and be dirt broke or poor, so living in a neighborhood around the "affluent" and wealthy does not place you in the same economic class.

For starters my only grudge with you has to be with the point of the forum. This has nothing to do with your definition of "affluent" or "wealthy" nor does it have to do with mine. The person asked a simple question and if you lived in the DC Metro area it could have been stated very easily. Rockville is not remotely considred affluent, but Potomac is etc.

I'm not sure why you are even chimming in and making a lame argument about the definition of "affluent"? It is pointless and meaningless to this particular OP question.

Okay here's the clincher have you read or managed this persons money or had access to their financial accounts or most recent statements? Do you know their portfolio allocation and have you reviewed their net worth? Who the $uck are you to make such a judgement without any relevent information?

Dude, you're clearly insecure and why? Have you made valid points about wealth? Yes, you have! Do your points have anything to remotely do with the OP? Hell freaking NO!.....

What's your real issue here dude? Is it the fact that she used the word "affluent" its a very subjective word, so if that is your biggest issue start a forum about the meaning and we can discuss it there.

If you are familiar with the DC Metro area and would like to offer them some advice on an "affluent" neighborhood please do otherwise your attacking post are just pointless.

BTW I work in finance as well, but that has nothing to do with any of this nor would i use that as a bases to sway public argument towards my opinion on wealth. Your saying i work in finance therefore i know is no different then what you're saying in terms of this person using the word "affluent."

Now I challegne you to start a forum discussing exactly what you have stated here and we can debate it there. I think it would be pretty informative to most seeking that information, but this person is clearly not seeking this information from you. Please create it and i'd happily discuss a number of financial things with you and add to the debate etc.....Email me when you create the forum and i'll be there.....

If you are going to ATTACK anyone, attack me.. I am the one who probably started this by stating that I was glad I moved from there and her statement was one of the reasons. She did not need to use that word at all. By using "affluent" she was basically bragging that she has a lot of weath (as stated..affluent basically means wealthy). Montgomery County is well known for segregation. Not only in culture, but in subcultures to (ie. money, education, etc). Just because one is wealthier then another, does that make them better? NO...

JMO... I have a right to my opinion

Old 12-15-2007, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autimom4ever View Post
If you are going to ATTACK anyone, attack me.. I am the one who probably started this by stating that I was glad I moved from there and her statement was one of the reasons. She did not need to use that word at all. By using "affluent" she was basically bragging that she has a lot of weath (as stated..affluent basically means wealthy). Montgomery County is well known for segregation. Not only in culture, but in subcultures to (ie. money, education, etc). Just because one is wealthier then another, does that make them better? NO...

JMO... I have a right to my opinion

Autimom, as i've stated before my definition of "affluent" differs from what you and Bob have stated your definition of "affluent." It is a very subjective word. I hear it mentioned on CNBC all the time and in Money magazine as "upper middle" class nothing more nothing less. I simply stated that just like the middle class there is a large range in salaries and income of "upper middle" class people, so someone calling themselves "affluent" does not bother me one bit. I just do not see it as any more offensive then someone saying "Middle Class Black Family moving...." or "Upper Middle Class Black Family moving...".

Here's what I find ironic had the original poster said, "Destitute Black Family moving...." or "Lower Middle Class Black Family" ....People would not have questioned the level to which the person was "poor" they would have quickly named every last ghetto neighborhood they could think of in the DC/Metro and been very patronizing to this person. However, that is neither her nor there and does not settle the new issues that arose, which is how do we define "affluent."

To me "affluent" does not mean wealthy or rich, but again that's my definition. To you it seems to mean "wealthy" as in Oprah Winfrey Wealthy. Maybe i'll take the time and start the post and see where the discussion goes, because like you i'm now interested in hearing what others think would define "affluent."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland