U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 08:50 PM

1,389 posts, read 5,672,704 times

Advertisements

I read plenty of post where people talk about they can not longer afford to liv ein Maryland. Alot of people have no problem with someone posting they are broke,Maryland is too expensive. Here we have someone who can afford to live in Maryland in one of the most expensive areas in Rockville and we get very negative post just because the lady mention she is Affulent and people mention that word all the time when describing a certain area in Maryland but yet we get upset at the lady when she knows and want to live in the exact Affulant areas that people have been posting about before she posted her question. Why not go after every poster who mention Affulent Communities.

In the United States we have less rich,wealthy and Affulent people. Majority of America are in the poor or lower middle class ranking so they feel threathen when someone say I am Affulent because they have nothing in common with that person as far as lifestyles. People on this post seems like they area with the sad posters who mention I am moving out of Maryland because living cost have increase. This lady and her family can afford to live in one of the most expensive areas in Rockville so why not be happy for her and her family why make it about yourself. I read I do not like Affulent people. I hat eit when Affulent people say they are Affulent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 10:43 PM
SRS SRS started this thread

4 posts, read 22,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
This thread is just ignorant. As far as the assumption that I do not like "uppity" people! Didn't I say that I lived in Greenwich, CT? I have absolutely no problem with people that are wealthy but I have never in my life heard any true wealthy person refer to themselves as "affluent", not even some of the wealthiest families in Greenwich, as well as the fact that most wealthy people do not drive expensive cars or spend lavishly, basically people that are truly wealthy have absolutely nothing to prove to anybody.

I work in the financial sector and based on my experience, most people that drive expensive cars and spend lavishly are NOT wealthy. People like this OP are people that are deep in debt, they often have a negative net worth and no investments. Because I have dealt with many wealthy clients, they mostly drive average cars, own their homes free and clear (wealthy people do not have mortgages) and have large amounts of money invested in mutual funds, bonds and hedge funds (those that have a higher net worth).

The reason why I question this thread is because I have dealt with too many ignorant people that consider themselves wealthy but in fact have nothing of wealth. Like I explained, wealth is measured in terms of net worth, if you earn 200 K and spend 250K, you are not rich, you have a negative net worth.

Wealthy people often drive average cars, have a lot of money in investments and do not spend money on cars (financially, purchasing a new car is one of the worst investments because of quick depreciation). Conclusion: Wealthy people own their homes free and clear and have a positive net worth and much of their wealth allocated to investments. I majored in Economics and believe me, I know what I am talking about
Ummm....No credit card debit, No car payments, College Funds, Homeowner, Diversified investments....you're wrong about me - it seems you have WAY TOO much time on hands.

Old 12-16-2007, 06:17 AM

751 posts, read 845,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRS View Post
Ummm....No credit card debit, No car payments, College Funds, Homeowner, Diversified investments....you're wrong about me -it seems you have WAY TOO much time on hands.
Like someone said "WHO CARES?" LOL Interesting approach though, "affluent" family looking for an area with African Americans but please no White people. Don't you realize how ridiculous this is??I live in an area that is 83% White, why does it matter if the people are green, blue or red, as long as they are "affluent", why shoud it matter?? This is one of the stupidest threads I have read here. I continued to post here because it is very entertaining.

Old 12-16-2007, 11:45 AM

746 posts, read 611,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
Like someone said "WHO CARES?" LOL Interesting approach though, "affluent" family looking for an area with African Americans but please no White people. Don't you realize how ridiculous this is??I live in an area that is 83% White, why does it matter if the people are green, blue or red, as long as they are "affluent", why shoud it matter?? This is one of the stupidest threads I have read here. I continued to post here because it is very entertaining.

Dude, seriously go back to the Original Post. The poster never mentioned anything to the extent you did. You clearly have an issue with the African American part. I intially thought you were legitimately concerned about the use of "Affluent", but you were clearly using it to hide behind your illogical racist agenda. Look where did the original poster say anything remotely close to "Affluent family looking for an area with African Americans, but please no white people?

Luke, dude seriously get it together. You came all the way into the forum to pollute it and why? I went to your SAC forum the other day to show you the level of stupidity in having you post about an area you clearly no nothing about and how that does nothing to help the original post. Didn't you get that, that is why i posted in SAC. I have never even been to SAC, so what the hell do i need to chime into SAC for real-estate? My post was simply to show you how stupid it looks when you live there and you're wasting your time commenting on a post in DC Metro about something you know little about. This forum was not to debate anything. Frankly attacking the OP has nothing to do with the use of the word "affluent" i was seriously giving a lot of you the benefit of the doubt, but it is clear that has nothing to do with your intentions to attack this person.

Luke, adding some clarity to the bs that comes out of your mouth look up the following areas if you're interested in finding location that are predomintately black and upper class. If the issue is with "Black and "Affluent" then just say it don't go hiding behind bs.

Here are some fun facts about "Affluent Blacks" 4-5% (2.0 million individuals) of the black population make over $100,000 a year and of that 2-3% make up over 200,000 (1.0 million individuals). Note that 2-3% of blacks do above 1400-1500 on the old SAT. (just making my point that upper class black children do not struggle in school like their lower middle class counterparts). Also Ivy League Freshman class average black percentage was about 4-5% of total class. Also further another argument that the "affluent" of each race populate top universities, but i digress lol. Just so you do not spat out any other silly stuff the NBA has 300 player 85% are black and the NFL has 1000 65-70% are black, so total athletes, that are black that make enough to consider themselves black and affluent is under 1,000 individuals. In other words entertainers and athletes are less than 0.005% of the "affluent Black population."

Locations in the US with significant or majority black population, that are considerd "Affluent"

Woodmore, MD
Mitcheville, MD
Upper Marlboro, MD
Fort Washington, MD
Accokeek, MD
Sugarloaf Country Club in Duluth, GA
Lithonia, GA
Stone Mountain, GA
South Fulton, GA
Sandtown, GA
Ladera Heights, CA
Baldwin Hills, CA
View Park-Windsor Hills, CA
Potomac, MD
Alpine, NJ
West Mount Airy, PA
Floossmoor, IL
Forrest Hills, DC
Spring Valley Country Club, SC
Highland Lakes, AL
Palmer Woods, MI
Sherwood Forrest, MI
Indian Village, MI
Grosse Point, MI

Finally to put all of these into perspective Luke, white non hispanic households make up almost 80% of all US households

Blacks make up 8.7% of all US households ( 10% in terms of total pop)

Asian make up 2.9% of all households ( 5% in terms of pop)

White households make up over 85% of all households making above $100,000 and 85% making over 200,000 dollars. Let me re-state this in lamens terms of all the households in America, that make over 100,000 dollars 85% of them are white. Understand this? I'm not saying 85% of all whites make over 100,000 dollars got it!

This is why People when using statistics say the following whites make up a disproportionate number of upper middle class people 85% in relation to their total population (ie. 75-80%.)

This is also said in reference to asian americans they make up only 2.9% of all households, but make up 4.4% of all upper class households.

This is why they also say that blacks make up a disproportionate percentage of the poor because their poor pop is 26% where as thier pop in society is 10%. This is not the same as saying blacks make up 26% of all poor people.

Got it?

Last edited by truthhurts; 12-16-2007 at 12:42 PM..

Old 12-16-2007, 12:56 PM

1,389 posts, read 5,672,704 times
The original poster mention nothing about race of others whe only mention her race and that her family are Affulent. If she is affulent and wants to live in one of the most wealthiest community in Rockville should be a good thing and people on the post should congratulate her and her family. People on this forum talk about blacks and poverty but here we have an African American family who can hang with the weathy,rich or upper upper middle class and people are doing nothing but bash her and her family out of envy. I think people feel as if blacks should never get good education,live in a very wealthy community we should only live in the projects or ghetto. I am so happy for your family and I hope you enjoy living in the weathiest community in Maryland and keep on moving up in live so all these haters can hate even more.

I do think you should look into Chevy Chase or Potomac as a matter of fact I am thinking about moving to either Chevy Chase or Potomac in the next 2 yrs to be closer to my family.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:14 AM

18 posts, read 95,669 times
Angry English language of U.S

We are the only country that allows a large group of people to come here illegally and change to meet their demands. Why? The immigrants came to this country held on to their culture and language but learned English to be successful. The slaves were brought to this country and beaten and forced to learn the language. The other cultures come here learn the language and but up all the business and get the loans that they refuse to give to blacks and learn the language. BUT the new illegals come across the borde in boats, tunnels etc. and refuse to learn the language and breed like rabbits. They fill our streets and schools with crime and force our systems to add Spanish to the curriculum. These people want equal rights and benefits but refuse to learn our langiage and follow our rules. The border should be closed and illegals rounded up and sent back to the border. I am tired of educating peoples kids who do not pay taxes. i must take loans and get scholarships for my kid. But we talk about educating these people for free. So why is American going bankrupt. Take Care of American citizens first. When we educate others they return home and make their country prosperous and we can no longer compete global. America needs to wake up and invest in American children.
We can easily be destroyed economically but not through war. We no longer are leading in math and science in the world. Invest in our youth and stop educating other nations children.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:19 AM

4,945 posts, read 8,263,826 times
SRS,

I see nothing wrong with your original post. I think one of the other posters hit the nail on the head when they mentioned an underlying hatred of rich black folks. Would we be having these discussions if you had stated that you are lower middle class or poor. When you mentioned "affluent," that gave the posters trying to help you locate an area, a better frame of reference. I don't see it as bragging. It's common sense. As for Rockville, I used to work there and "The Pike" as locals call it, can be a traffic disaster. I wouldn't call Rockville affluent. Your choice all depends on what you care about the most. Good schools, safe neighborhoods and diversity, you'll find it there. I wouldn't live there personally because there aren't that many cultural activies geared towards me. It's nice but it's typical suburbia.

Luke,

Because you are not AA, you will always have a difficult time understanding AA's. If I considered moving to an unknown area, I would want to know the obvious (crime, schools, etc...) but I would want to know where my people are? If I could get a hair cut. Where are the soul food spots? Where are the live bands (jazz & R&B) joints. Being non AA, you can take that for granted.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:46 PM

17 posts, read 64,648 times
I would check out Crofton...it was number 72 on the list of top 100 places to live. The schools are excellent...we live on what is called the crofton parkway which is a 3 mile loop of houses that surrounds a golf course. There are allot of new families coming in due to the BRAC and the local military bases getting new workers. We are moving closer to one of the bases and will be selling our house on the parkway in Jan 08, it backs to the golf course and is 500k....not very diverse but the people are VERY friendly.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:00 AM

913 posts, read 2,831,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
SRS,

I see nothing wrong with your original post. I think one of the other posters hit the nail on the head when they mentioned an underlying hatred of rich black folks. Would we be having these discussions if you had stated that you are lower middle class or poor. When you mentioned "affluent," that gave the posters trying to help you locate an area, a better frame of reference. I don't see it as bragging. It's common sense. As for Rockville, I used to work there and "The Pike" as locals call it, can be a traffic disaster. I wouldn't call Rockville affluent. Your choice all depends on what you care about the most. Good schools, safe neighborhoods and diversity, you'll find it there. I wouldn't live there personally because there aren't that many cultural activies geared towards me. It's nice but it's typical suburbia.

Luke,

Because you are not AA, you will always have a difficult time understanding AA's. If I considered moving to an unknown area, I would want to know the obvious (crime, schools, etc...) but I would want to know where my people are? If I could get a hair cut. Where are the soul food spots? Where are the live bands (jazz & R&B) joints. Being non AA, you can take that for granted.
No... Who cares if she is AA, White, Asian, green.....affluent is enough info. Now you all playing the race card again...evertime..what if someone in the forum posted
"Affluent White family, considering Rockville Area" What would be your first reaction then Huh?

I am quoting from someone in the Baltimore County Housing Authourity
"What is wrong with AA culture that most of them do sticked around together with their own race only.....If one AA family moved into this neighborhood, you will have another 10 move in the same area..."

Where is the diversity? You guys are more racist to me..if you ask me

Old 12-28-2007, 09:56 AM

4,945 posts, read 8,263,826 times
Myself,

This is not a case of playing the race card when you are seeking out a neighborhood. It's a preference. What's wrong with affluent AA's wanting to live around other affluent AA's?

There is nothing wrong with diversity, but white people have lived among each other for decades in Italian neighborhoods, Irish neighborhoods etc... I don't have a problem with that. If you posted affluent Irish guy, looking for an affluent Irish neighborhood. I would help you if I knew. That's not racist. You just want to live among your people, so you can enjoy the culture.

I have a problem when one group be it AA's, Mexicans, or Irish makes it difficult for other groups to move into areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland