U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2008, 05:35 PM

3,425 posts, read 7,939,009 times

Advertisements

I'm new to the area, and I didn't read the entire thread, but the area in the District near where I live (downtown Silver Spring) - between about 12th Street NW and 16th Street NW, north of Alaska Avenue - is a very nice, mixed race area with many architectually attractive homes. Parts of this area are very close to downtown Silver Spring, which has a ton of commercial amenities and a diverse mix of people racially and financially. Silver Spring isn't as affluent or upscale as Chevy Chase/Bethesda, but it is more racially diverse and has greater commercial development.

Incidentally, I'd agree with the semi-negative comments about Rockville, or at least downtown Rockville - it isn't bad by any means, but seems kind of contrived and not organic. The housing outside the downtown area is fairly good from what I've seen in limited visits, but it can't hold a candle to the housing in the part of DC near the northern apex.

P.S. For the record, I'm Caucasian.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 07:02 AM

846 posts, read 3,004,100 times
It's my impression that Chevy Chase/Bethesda is heavily Jewish and a lot of Europeans on temporary work assignments (I guess a lot of the Europeans commute to the World Bank or something? I don't know.) That's fine with me. But I'm just wondering whether my impression is correct, or if you'd say it's just plain diverse, and you can't really characterize the population very much at all?

Old 04-26-2008, 06:52 PM

598 posts, read 1,832,388 times
On the very slim chance the OP has not gotten disgusted and left - Rockville is a great choice. Columbia, Bethesda are also quite nice.

People, if she had not described her economic situation, there would have been 100 postings saying "we need more information" and "MD is so expensive" etc! Plus there are things you say on a forum that you wouldn't say in person.

WELCOME SRS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Believe it or not, you will like it here, lol.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:16 PM

13 posts, read 58,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthhurts View Post
I would recommend Potomac, MD you should really look into a few of the neighborhoods in the area. While none of the neighborhoods are going to be anymore than 5-8% at most black it is consider a better area than Rockville. The Rockville area that boarders Potomac, is a nice area, but anywhere else in Rockville is suspect.

If you're as affluent as you say and selling a house in SF putting a down payment on a nice 5000-6000 sq ft house in Bethesda, Chevy Chase, and Potomac should not be a big problem. The reputation of Rockville is not as good as it used to be, so you may be hearing older information.

Also watch some members of this board especially the one that recommended Baltimore short of living in Homeland, Baltimore is not an overall nice area. Its mostly either poor blacks, lower middle, and middle and the same for whites.

Also check out Olney as you may be able to get more houses for the bucks. Anyway I would avoid living in Rockville. Also if you prefer living predominately black neighborhoods that are affluent look into gated communities in Woodmore, MD (only thing is it is in PG, so you would have to send your kids to private school and do all your shopping in Nova as their are not amenities for affluent people)
Would someone please explain to me what an Affluent African American is? It really bothers me that these so called Affluent African Americans have turned their backs on the black community in general. And many of these so called Affluent African Americas are a pay check away from poverty themselves. If the schools aren't to your standards, is the answer to enroll your kids in private schools. Or is the answer to come up with creative ideas to make the public schools better? My kids go to public schools in PGC and they're doing just fine academically. The buck stops with the parents at home. If you have a strong support base at home, your child will do well. If not, it doesn't matter what school he or she goes to.

Old 06-06-2008, 05:23 AM

60 posts, read 263,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJupi91897 View Post
Would someone please explain to me what an Affluent African American is? It really bothers me that these so called Affluent African Americans have turned their backs on the black community in general. And many of these so called Affluent African Americas are a pay check away from poverty themselves. If the schools aren't to your standards, is the answer to enroll your kids in private schools. Or is the answer to come up with creative ideas to make the public schools better? My kids go to public schools in PGC and they're doing just fine academically. The buck stops with the parents at home. If you have a strong support base at home, your child will do well. If not, it doesn't matter what school he or she goes to.
Affluent means wealthy.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:04 AM

3 posts, read 19,115 times
PG County has alot of issue yes with crime and a good majority of the public schools the mindset of and urban area is prevalent in the schools. That being said if you want affluent being african american PG County has not only one of the top schools in the state but also in the country with great diversity in Eleanor Roosevelt High. I graduated from Roose after I transfered from Largo and the big differnece was the void between the students want to. More Stores You can be close to Redskin Stadium PG Sports Learning Complex, Cap Blvd Mall w/ Magic Johnson Movie Theater, Bowie Town etc. and you can still go to all the other spots in DC MoCo and NOVA

Old 06-09-2008, 08:41 AM

846 posts, read 3,004,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRB97 View Post
Affluent means wealthy.
That's funny, I think of "affluent" as meaning "high income" which is different from being wealthy. You don't get to be wealthy unless you save some of that high income and can make a nice, big pile of it. If you just let it all run through your fingers, then you can be affluent but you will never be wealthy.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:52 PM

29,462 posts, read 33,694,226 times
Affluent means being able to do what you want to do. Live where you want and send your kid to the school you want. You have earned your way to independence. You may even want to vote Republican to help preserve your wealth from those who want to redistribute it. You have worked hard and earned your way to independence. If a Black community is your thing great you can afford it. If more diversity is your thing great you can afford that. If you want more exclusivity and Isolation from poverty and the middle class hopefully you can afford that. To assume that a Black person calling themselves affluent are a pay away from poverty is racist and absurd. Many Blacks are affluent because they understand wealth accumulation and intergenerational wealth transfer and they want their children going to school with others who understand and will reinforce.

Viva the truly affluent/wealthy and liberated Black Family. Invest on and accumulate on and leave a nice inheritance as your legacy.

Old 11-21-2008, 02:59 PM

17 posts, read 65,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRS View Post
My husband and two small children are moving from San Fran to Montgomery Co. due to job relocations. This area seems to be a great place due to the school clusters and overall family-friendliness. I am looking for info regarding the diversity, particularly for well-off African Americans. Is this an area where you can find a nice church, get your hair done, have a diverse neighborhood, etc or do you take advantage of the good schools and have a social life outside of Rockville.

Also, if anyone can recommend excellent preschools - I would GREATLY appreciate - Pls let me know!

No need for questions/comments about African Americans seeking African Americans - I'm not looking to debate - just want to get a sense of the area - thanks in advance!
Welcome to the area! I've lived in or near Rockville since the age of five and like it here.

Our daughter has moved on to college so I can't help regarding preschools.

Hair is vitally important! Having very curly hair, it's almost as bad to find a good stylist as AA folks. I feel your pain. Think that Silver Spring, in general will have more places with stylists who know what they are doing.

Lots of places of worship here. If you seek a primarily AA church, such as AME, I believe they are smaller in this area.

You didn't mention where you'd be working. If it is in the City, (DC) I'd recommend a home either walking distance or short drive to the Metro.

If you lived in one of the old, beautiful homes in SF and want something similar, Rockville's West End has quite a few late 19th-early 20th century homes. Another development in downtown Rockville offers new homes with all of the mod-cons which aesthetically blend well with the vintage architecture. Rockville City has several pocket parks and nice sidewalks, perfect for enjoying the day with your family. The West End is a friendly place. Folks usually know their neighbors and have a strong sense of community. Peerless Rockville a non-profit dedicated to historic preservation, is another plus for the City.

Within the incorporated City of Rockville, yet not downtown, is the community where I live, Fallsgrove. Great home styles, well-planned small community with spectacular access to the highway or metro. A climate-controlled bus stop in the community, just a couple of blocks away from most homes shuttles people to the Metro Station. The community center offers a fitness center, summer pool, and business center for residents. There are play areas for the kids, good sidewalks, and excellent small shopping center. One big plus? The HOA cuts the grass and takes care of semi-annual garden mulching.

In general, I've found the residents of Rockville to be a good bunch. Well-educated, informed, not pretentious. Of course, we are a suburb of the political city, our Nations Capital. As such, not many folks let their 'inner hippie' out, lol.

If you have other questions, ask away. Best of luck.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:05 PM

52 posts, read 146,658 times
Rockville area has some of the best public schools, and access to culture without having to be in a special school or group. The Catholic schools have pre-schools and others near the hospital ( connected to TLC - treatment & learning center) are great. Many great neighborhoods and city-sponsored events such as the Memorial Day PArade make it a small-town and friendly community of 50,000 + in a county of 850,000 +.
It is a great place to live and work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland