Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2007, 06:51 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,208,458 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I'm currently living in PG County, MD. My husband and I and our three children are looking to move to Waldorf. Being DC born and raised, I like the country/city feel of the area.

However, I'm getting freaked out about what to expect. The SFH we are interested in is located right off of 228E. The street is Rolling Meadows Street right off of Hamilton Road.

Is this a fairly safe area? Should I choose elsewhere?

I'm currently in Oxon Hill and quite honestly, I've never heard a gunshot and feel relatively safe. I was born and raised in SE DC, so I've definitely not been sheltered from crime. BUT, I don't want to move out to a different county just to deal with the same issues.

Any advice offered on the area of the SFH would be GREATLY appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2007, 07:56 PM

250 posts, read 1,377,744 times
I don't understand, what are you freaked out about? I live just off of 228 myself and I love it. The difference in Charles County (i.e., the less urban feel) is just right for me and my family, and if you like what you've seen around the area, by all means, don't be afraid to consider it!

If you're worried about being in a subdivision that you don't feel is safe, why not look at a property with an acre or so of land? There's still plenty of that to be found in and around Waldorf, and for reasonable prices.

Jonathan Benya

Last edited by 7th generation; 05-22-2008 at 04:02 PM.. Reason: deleted website

Old 12-08-2007, 08:20 PM

[quote=TeamBenya;2204218]I don't understand, what are you freaked out about? I live just off of 228 myself and I love it. The difference in Charles County (i.e., the less urban feel) is just right for me and my family, and if you like what you've seen around the area, by all means, don't be afraid to consider it!

If you're worried about being in a subdivision that you don't feel is safe, why not look at a property with an acre or so of land? There's still plenty of that to be found in and around Waldorf, and for reasonable prices.

Well,

I'm not freaked out about living in a more rural area....in fact, that's a plus! But I'm reading about increasing crime and areas to avoid (Acton Village which is close to the SFH I'm interested in). The community looks really nice and quiet, however, I know that looks can be deceiving.

All, in all, I just want to make sure that the area of the SFH is relatively safe and that I'm not in a "dicey" area.

Also, are home security systems the norm in the area? I don't remember seeing any signs in the lawns, but maybe I just wasn't paying attention.

Any advice? I LOVE the feel of Waldorf and I especially love this SFH. I just want to make sure I'm picking a good location.

Also, is the traffic into DC mostly going via Route 5? I would probably travel 228 down to 210 to get into DC. Is traffic heavy going this way?

Thanks!

Last edited by 7th generation; 05-22-2008 at 04:03 PM..

Old 12-08-2007, 08:49 PM

250 posts, read 1,377,744 times
Try looking here (broken link).

That link is to the CC Sheriff's website, and it breaks down crime stats, month by month, neighborhood by neighborhood.

Traffic Wise, I would definately recommend 210 over 5. My wife drove both ways, and found 210 to be faster, she said that to get to work at 9am in dowtown, she left at 7:20-7:40. She goes in at 10 now and never leaves earlier than 9 because the rush has died down.

Last edited by 7th generation; 05-22-2008 at 04:03 PM..

Old 12-08-2007, 09:10 PM

That site is very helpful. Thanks. One thing I have learned is where to avoid...Carrington and Bannister. My goodness....the stats looks like my neck of the woods!!!! The closest community, Anton Village, has relatively low sheriff calls, so I feel much better after seeing this information. Thanks again for easing my mind. I read a report about a man being approached by a group of "thugs" and being shot in the leg when he resisted. It happened on the same street that I'm interested in..of course, this was over a year ago, so I'll treat that as an isolated incident and go forward with my decision to rent this home.....I really love it.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:33 PM

4 posts, read 32,937 times
Default Southeast to OH to 228.

Sounds like you are following me. I know that you are talking about and I would be more that happy to talk to you. Hit me up on email

I can give you the REAL deal.

lol
Tonya

Last edited by 7th generation; 05-22-2008 at 04:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland