Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 10:47 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,751,615 times

Advertisements

How's MARC weekend service doing these days? I'm hoping it is doing well, so they can expand weekend service to other lines and also get folks in VA to offer weekend service on VRE too. It makes no sense that this region only focuses on Metro when it comes to transit and mostly ignores MARC and VRE, especially seeing how everything is so spread out. Expanded Metro to me makes no sense especially when the infrastructure is already there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 03:57 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,562,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
How's MARC weekend service doing these days? I'm hoping it is doing well, so they can expand weekend service to other lines and also get folks in VA to offer weekend service on VRE too. It makes no sense that this region only focuses on Metro when it comes to transit and mostly ignores MARC and VRE, especially seeing how everything is so spread out. Expanded Metro to me makes no sense especially when the infrastructure is already there.
I've taken the MARC train up to Baltimore a lot on weekends and A LOT of people ride it, I think they should expand service actually and add two more late evening trains to match WMATA's metrorail hours.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:01 AM

318 posts, read 761,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
This fantasy Green Line map via Google Maps was made about 5 years ago. What do you all think?

http://goo.gl/maps/mrHBh

That's interesting. Who made this?

Old 11-19-2014, 11:02 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,875,478 times
Based on this actual-length map of the metro, I feel like the Green Line could definitely go up to Laurel:

(Also, I know this is the wrong subforum for it, but does anyone know why there's such a big gap between the blue and orange lines in nova? I don't know much about that area at all but seems like you could fit in another line right there).

Old 11-19-2014, 11:14 PM

2,188 posts, read 2,684,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
Based on this actual-length map of the metro, I feel like the Green Line could definitely go up to Laurel:

(Also, I know this is the wrong subforum for it, but does anyone know why there's such a big gap between the blue and orange lines in nova? I don't know much about that area at all but seems like you could fit in another line right there).
A 10 mile extension out to Laurel would cost well north of $2B. PG needs $2B+ for all sorts of things, but adding even more severely underutilized metro stations to the county isn't one. Maybe in 50 years PG's current stations will be built out, but until then the benefit of adding more stations is minimal and the cost is huge.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:09 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,417,247 times
Yes, because Baltimore City needs all the help it can get!

Old 06-17-2015, 10:34 AM

45 posts, read 54,842 times
I'm thinking maybe of extending the Baltimore metro to BWI, as well as WMATA, so as to set up the airport as a transfer point between the two systems. Dulles is farther away from Washington, even if by a few miles, anyway.

Old 06-17-2015, 03:40 PM

45 posts, read 54,842 times
This may be the wrong thread for a fantasy map of MTA, but here it is:

As you can see, both systems can meet at the BWI airport (I didn't include Washington Metrorail) within a reasonable distance of the parent cities' centers.

Old 06-17-2015, 04:01 PM

2,188 posts, read 2,684,340 times
Again, extending the Green Line to BWI would be over 20 miles of new heavy rail line (doubling the line's length), i.e. about $4B. It'd never happen, nor should it. It'd be exceedingly expensive with very minimal upside. Connecting DC and Baltimore is MARC's purpose, not WMATA's.

Old 06-17-2015, 04:44 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
Again, extending the Green Line to BWI would be over 20 miles of new heavy rail line (doubling the line's length), i.e. about $4B. It'd never happen, nor should it. It'd be exceedingly expensive with very minimal upside. Connecting DC and Baltimore is MARC's purpose, not WMATA's.
Why is everything okay for Virginia to do but not Maryland? I read a lot of comments that bash Maryland for proposed mass transit projects, meanwhile Virginia is laying down miles of tracks.

Why shouldn't there be a line with frequent stops from Greenbelt to BWI? There are populated areas such as Beltsville, the new Konterra project, Laurel, Cyber Command and the NSA, and Hanover (Arundel Mills).

Why would their be minimal upside? Can you imagine how many cars would be taken off I-95 and 295 every morning and evening? That would alleviate 495-south and west at the same time.

Again, it takes money to invest in infrastructure that will pay back benefits for multiple decades. $4B now yields less traffic, more development, more jobs.

No one said there had to be a metro line to Baltimore. BWI is far enough.

Potential Stops:

1. Powder Mill and Rt. 1. (Near Costco)
2. Brick Yard Station
3. Konterra 1
4. Konterra 2
5. Laurel Town Center
6. Rt. 197 & Rt. 198
8. Maryland City Shopping Plaza on Rt. 198.
9. Ft. Meade 1
10. Ft. Meade 2
11. Ft. Meade 3
12. Severn Rd. and Rt. 713.
13. Arundel Mills
14. BWI Extended Parking Lots
15. BWI terminal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland