Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 10:51 AM

2,187 posts, read 2,683,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropping_k View Post
PG has a bad rap and been trying to shake it off for some time now. Things have change big time. PG county may not as great as MoCo or Howard, but they re getting much better for both students and teachers. Many people in this area still have a negative notion of PG county and believe that it's still the bad county that it once was in the 90's and early 2000's. Trust me when I tell you that's not the same.
This oversimplified/broad love for PG is as inaccurate as oversimplified/broad hate for PG. There are plenty of areas of PG that are ok, but there are also large swaths of the county that are horrific and deserve the bad rap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 11:32 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,560,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
There are plenty of areas of PG that are ok, but there are also large swaths of the county that are horrific and deserve the bad rap.
That was a great example of being oversimplified and broad!

Old 06-10-2014, 11:53 AM

2,187 posts, read 2,683,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
That was a great example of being oversimplified and broad!
Ha, true. Inaccurate oversimplification is what's problematic with dropping_k's comment (and comments by people who lump all of PG together to hate on it) more than anything, I suppose.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:56 PM

692 posts, read 1,004,141 times
Quote:
I was told that teaching in PG county isn't such a good idea
I have friends and close relatives who teach now in PG public schools and have taught in DC and MoCo as well. They loved or hated their jobs pretty much at the same level no matter where they taught. It's usually not the students (sometimes but not always) It's the administration, the parents and the politics and the support or lack of. Some friends of mine went to public school in MoCo in the 90's. They said there were fights and stabbings, but it didn't get publicized. MoCo is not the garden of eden. PG is not Fallujah. Howard County is not Switzerland. Look where you can get the best deal on housing and amenities.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:17 PM

117 posts, read 234,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
Ha, true. Inaccurate oversimplification is what's problematic with dropping_k's comment (and comments by people who lump all of PG together to hate on it) more than anything, I suppose.
So what if my comment was too oversimplified for your taste. My comment has its truths. Im not here post a detail analysis.

Old 06-17-2014, 04:32 PM

64 posts, read 85,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackZappa301 View Post
where did you live in PG before you moved?
I've lived in Mitchellville, Glenarden, Forestville, Suitland, Landover Hills, and Capitol Heights. Yes...we moved a lot growing up! I moved from Forestville to Salisbury in 2003 and have been here ever since.

Old 06-17-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropping_k View Post
PG has a bad rap and been trying to shake it off for some time now. Things have change big time. PG county may not as great as MoCo or Howard, but they re getting much better for both students and teachers. Many people in this area still have a negative notion of PG county and believe that it's still the bad county that it once was in the 90's and early 2000's. Trust me when I tell you that's not the same.
Thanks for that. I know much of this is subjective. Are there any particular areas of PG that you'd recommend looking into?

Old 06-17-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubina View Post
I have friends and close relatives who teach now in PG public schools and have taught in DC and MoCo as well. They loved or hated their jobs pretty much at the same level no matter where they taught. It's usually not the students (sometimes but not always) It's the administration, the parents and the politics and the support or lack of. Some friends of mine went to public school in MoCo in the 90's. They said there were fights and stabbings, but it didn't get publicized. MoCo is not the garden of eden. PG is not Fallujah. Howard County is not Switzerland. Look where you can get the best deal on housing and amenities.

I'm seeing much of the same here in reference to low parental involvement, increasing gang affiliations, and administration that is inconsistent. I think teachers are being leaned on all over, so really it's just a matter of finding a decent area that's affordable. As far as "good schools" are concerned, I'm more interested in the different programs available and how caring and effective the teachers are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland