Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 08:20 AM

11 posts, read 15,178 times

Advertisements

I am in the same position. Started as a GS-9 and am on a ladder to GS-12. It's normally an uneventful process as long as HR is functioning properly. Are you going to work at Census?

I have student loans to pay off also, but we don't have any kind of student loan assistance at Census or Commerce in general. Only a small number of government agencies do have that sort of thing (FDA is one of them I think). However we do qualify for public service loan forgiveness. So if you sign up for the most drawn out income based repayment schedule that you can qualify for, then you do stand to benefit quite a bit if you are committed to working there for 10 years.

I can't say much about the D.C. job market, only that there has been a big slowdown in government and contractor hiring so that this isn't the land of milk and honey like it was a few years ago.

I can perfectly understand why people are telling you to avoid this area. It's definitely the roughest part of the DC region (although it's nothing compared to the burned out war zones you see in parts of Baltimore or Philadelphia I think). However, at the age of 34 I'm not going to bunk up with roommates in order to afford the insane housing prices in more trendy neighborhoods. And I also like being able to afford a new car. (Parking is free and plentiful both in the federal complex and in my apartment complex, not the case elsewhere). But as I said, I don't have children to worry about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 09:15 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,408,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cluelessnewbie View Post
I am in the same position. Started as a GS-9 and am on a ladder to GS-12. It's normally an uneventful process as long as HR is functioning properly. Are you going to work at Census?

I have student loans to pay off also, but we don't have any kind of student loan assistance at Census or Commerce in general. Only a small number of government agencies do have that sort of thing (FDA is one of them I think). However we do qualify for public service loan forgiveness. So if you sign up for the most drawn out income based repayment schedule that you can qualify for, then you do stand to benefit quite a bit if you are committed to working there for 10 years.

I can't say much about the D.C. job market, only that there has been a big slowdown in government and contractor hiring so that this isn't the land of milk and honey like it was a few years ago.

I can perfectly understand why people are telling you to avoid this area. It's definitely the roughest part of the DC region (although it's nothing compared to the burned out war zones you see in parts of Baltimore or Philadelphia I think). However, at the age of 34 I'm not going to bunk up with roommates in order to afford the insane housing prices in more trendy neighborhoods. And I also like being able to afford a new car. (Parking is free and plentiful both in the federal complex and in my apartment complex, not the case elsewhere). But as I said, I don't have children to worry about.
Exactly Suitland is nothing like Baltimore or Philadelphia. You won't have gangs of hoodlums walking around aimlessly looking to pounce and pillage. It's low key and more car dependent. If schools aren't a concern then it's a good low cost option.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:27 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,333,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tttcomrader View Post
Wow, guys, thank you so much for all the replies within such a short time!

Here are some additional information about myself:

Although I have a wife and a small child, I am not planning to move to D.C. with them until either I get promoted and gain enough income to provide for them or my wife find a job here (she has a M.S. in Industrial Engineering, any idea on the job market D.C. area?)

If I work in D.C. I would start as a GS-9 with the potential to GS-12, but I am not sure how easy that is.

For myself, honestly, I am willing to live in just about anywhere for as long as my life is not going to be in immediate danger. I really don't go out too much, I am a home-person and I am happy to just stay on the internet and work out in my room.

I have significant student loan debt, but from my understand Federal employee receive assistant for that, I suppose?
Does your wife work now? Sorry, I just don't see the allure in moving away from your family to a higher COL area for what might not even be that much increase in salary. What's your promotion potential where you are now?

Old 08-05-2014, 06:49 PM

795 posts, read 1,267,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cluelessnewbie View Post

Good post...

I also had student loan debt when I first came to DC... the agency I went did not have student loan assistance. Well, they had it, but I did not qualify. And once you are in, good luck. Although, the agency I'm with now has a great educational program... it is amazing.

Loan forgiveness program is great, if you can take advantage of it. They wanted me to "consolidate" my loans (from a very low %) to a loan which was more than double my rate. I ran the numbers and figured I'd not save that much money over 10 years. Plus, if something went wrong, I'd wasted a lot of money and still have to pay off the loan. So I paid off my loans.

Had to bring up Philly... N. Philly is something else... although, I miss watching the "Cops vs. the Drug Dealers" basketball games. Philly is wild.

DC is not like that... I agree, no comparison.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:11 PM

Suitland is actually only about 5 miles from one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the country according to at least one site.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 08-08-2014 at 06:59 AM..

Old 08-07-2014, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Suitland is actually only about 5 miles from one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the country according to at least one site.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Troll alert.

By the way, they scored it next to Chicago. Really??? That should have gave you a clue.

Last edited by Yac; 08-08-2014 at 06:59 AM..

Old 08-07-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_of_DC View Post
Troll alert.

By the way, they scored it next to Chicago. Really??? That should have gave you a clue.
Pointing out that not only are there some really bad neighborhoods in DC in general, but that they are pretty close to the OP's potential job location is trolling?

To be honest, as long as OP doesn't plan on going there to buy drugs it probably shouldn't matter, it was more in response to the comments saying DC's bad neighborhoods are not comparable to those in Baltimore and Philly which really isn't true.

Old 08-08-2014, 03:14 PM

311 posts, read 1,385,533 times
People really do over-dramatize about PG.

There are some safe areas in close proximity to your federal employer there.

The thing that concerns me for you is that $60k doesn't go a very long way in this area unless you are single. I know you said your wife plans to work; could she try to land a job here first before you move? That way you wouldn't waste money supporting two households (unless she would live with family while you are here). If that's the case, it could maybe work, but I don't think I would relocate for that amount of money here.

Old 08-08-2014, 04:07 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,977,960 times
OP,

The crime is one issue, which again, you will continue to get varying answers on.

The thing I would be concerned about is schools. You have a small child, long term living in Suitland isn't the answer. The schools aren't the greatest, but you could at least consider private schools when you get to it. The thing is what is your priority though? Are you more focus on saving money? Safety? Schools for the future of your child? Diversity? Certain Amenities like Shopping, etc?

Suitland is not Iraq but it's not a great place to be honest. It is one of the last places I would recommend anyone raising a family for many reasons. You have to do what's best for your family though. Personally, I believe you could still live in a place like Upper Marlboro (still within the county) and have a much better quality of life than Suitland. Living in Suitland, would only be great honestly if you are trying to save money and have a minimal commute.

Old 08-08-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Pointing out that not only are there some really bad neighborhoods in DC in general, but that they are pretty close to the OP's potential job location is trolling?

To be honest, as long as OP doesn't plan on going there to buy drugs it probably shouldn't matter, it was more in response to the comments saying DC's bad neighborhoods are not comparable to those in Baltimore and Philly which really isn't true.
The link you posted was a marketing ploy. Honestly, they put a neighborhood in DC next to Chicago. I'll ask again, REALLY???? Do you believe any place in DC is close to some placed in Chicago?

I know you don't live here and all... but you MUST watch the news.

Yes, I would call your post trolling... you knew it was not true, but you wanted to provoke an emotional response.

Yea, I would say anyone anyplace looking to buy drugs put themselves in danger.

Far as Baltimore neighborhoods, I don't know... I spent limited time in Baltimore. I've hung out there, but not enough to make an educated comment (outside of the couple times I went, I decided not to go back.... Baltimore is not a place I want to be).

Philly... if you wanted to make a comment about philly, then maybe you should have done that... I've spent a lot of time there... N. Philly, W. Philly and lived in S. Philly. I have to say that I've not seen the wretchedness in DC that I've seen in Philly. But of course that is my experience. Your experience might be different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland