U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 11:51 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,419,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
I was told that if someone was going to move to the DC area that you will find extreme differences between the Maryland Suburbs and VA suburbs. Maryland is an extension of New Jersey and Philly and the people are abrupt, harried and somewhat standoffish. While Fairfax County Va is more southern with more politeness, friendly people and a relaxed comfortable southern feel. Agree?
From my experience, the description about the difference between the DC suburbs are almost perfectly accurate. At one point, I thought it was just me when I noticed the difference between the standoffish and rudeness (among other things) in the MD suburbs and the generosity, affable, and live-and-let-live attitude of most Northern Virginians. Granted that there are road rage issues in NoVA, but it's just as bad, if not worse in MD. The rude, standoffish feel of suburban MD is definitely visible in Arlington Co and parts of Alexandria, but westward, they pretty much die down. The only thing that's wrong in your description is NoVA having a southern feel. It maybe friendlier (at least compared to suburban MD) but until you go out to western Loudoun and western Prince William Co, it's a mix between urban and suburban.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:37 PM

19 posts, read 65,287 times
As a longtime resident of Washington DC here is what I see as the differences. Montgomery County is a very Democratic county I think the County Council has one Republican for many years the County was represented in Congress by Constance Morrelia who was a very liberal Republican but was beaten finally in 2002 after the District covering Montgomery County was reworked as a result of the 2000 Census by the General Assembly.

Fairfax County has a fairly good representation of Democrats and Republicans in government. In recent years the area seems to be voting more Democratic in statewide elections as it gave the margin of victory to the sitting Governor, the new Senator, and Barack Obama. The Republicans in Northern Virginia are more moderate so maybe their voting bases gravitated to the more centrist Democratic candidate.

What I see at the primary difference is the way people conduct themselves. You did not see this "my kid is better than your kid" syndrome as much as you did in Montgomery County. My sister has lived in Fairfax since college and now has kids in school and she commented that the parents are less divisive. In Montgomery County you had groups of parents that would do just about anything to see their kid get ahead in school even if that meant destroying another child or parent.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:50 PM

1,154 posts, read 3,854,907 times
As you get past the NoVA suburbs things begin to feel very Southern whereas when you get into rural MoCo things just become as they would be in, say, rural Pennsylvania or something. It's a bit different.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:22 PM

229 posts, read 661,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callsitlikeitis View Post
I agree in that most of those who live in Northern Virginia are from other parts of the country, where apparently aggressiveness and abruptness is a virtue. From observing them on the road, I can only surmise that they are "mentally challenged" and as a result feel that mashing the accelerator augments driving deficiencies. Aggressive driving cameras are a reaction to Northern Virginia drivers shooting each other and otherwise terrorizing each other. Conversely, green lights seem to short circuit them sometimes and they aren't sure whether to proceed or not! Those not from other states are from foreign countries. Transferring bicycling skills to driving a car can be a wonder to behold!!

My poor brother-in-law bikes to work (a rarity) and has been knocked down three times by No. VA. drivers!!
If you don't like this area, you might want to consider moving...for your own sanity's sake.

It is, what it is, like it or not.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:49 AM

890 posts, read 3,145,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
As you get past the NoVA suburbs things begin to feel very Southern whereas when you get into rural MoCo things just become as they would be in, say, rural Pennsylvania or something. It's a bit different.
Rural MoCo (yes, there is some left) is very different than rural Pennsylvania, even in the south-central region of Pennsylvania. It's generally more farmland in PA while in MoCo it's like horse country (think Leesburg).

Old 11-29-2009, 08:34 AM

791 posts, read 2,384,788 times
Montgomery County historically has had a heavily Jewish population, New-York oriented (the largest Jewish Community Center is there, and the National Institutes of Health), and many foreign embassy people due to Embassy Row being in the Northwest end of D.C., and many European immigrants including restauranteurs. Fairfax County on the other hand historically has had a large Military population due to its proximity to the Pentagon; as I see it, this made it more conservative and representative of the American heartland. Both counties however in recent decades, have gotten very ethnically diverse with many non-white immigrants. No. Va. has many roads, schools, and parks named after Civil War Confederate heroes, which seems irrelevant nowadays with its ethnically diverse immigrant population. And its schoolteachers used to be recruited from downstate Virginia, which gave it more a southern slant. No.Va.'s laws reflected that it was part of a largely southern state. Liquor was not allowed in restaurants until about 1970, and women were not supposed to be in politics (a great contrast to Maryland). Like the other poster said, Montgomery County has historically been more Democratic while No. Va. was more Republican, but this is quickly changing. Takoma Park, MD in particular is a good example of a very liberal community.

Old 11-29-2009, 02:20 PM

2,172 posts, read 6,744,757 times
old thread. Closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland