U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 02:53 PM

419 posts, read 1,808,429 times

Advertisements

I was told that if someone was going to move to the DC area that you will find extreme differences between the Maryland Suburbs and VA suburbs. Maryland is an extension of New Jersey and Philly and the people are abrupt, harried and somewhat standoffish. While Fairfax County Va is more southern with more politeness, friendly people and a relaxed comfortable southern feel. Agree?

Old 12-20-2007, 05:25 PM

3,908 posts, read 7,541,267 times
I think you may need to go a bit further out than Fairfax County. I'd say both counties have more of a distinct separation from the DC "hustle and bustle" if you get out far enough - i.e. in MC its like out past Poolesville or Mt. Airy....

But its just getting far enough away from the large city.. I'd say the same for any large city for that matter.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:49 PM

746 posts, read 610,951 times
Yea really no difference in people in the areas closet to the district. You would have to go way past Clifton into Prince William and the other "Northern Virginia" counties to get a country bumpkin feel. The same is true for Moco you would have to go way out of the county to Fredneck (not sure if it is even referred to in that light anymore), but my point is it is considerd very country bumpkinish.

The counties are no different the closer they are to DC. The further out you go in each county the more country rustic feel you get. The people are the basically the same in both counties.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:30 AM

23 posts, read 99,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthhurts View Post
Yea really no difference in people in the areas closet to the district. You would have to go way past Clifton into Prince William and the other "Northern Virginia" counties to get a country bumpkin feel. The same is true for Moco you would have to go way out of the county to Fredneck (not sure if it is even referred to in that light anymore), but my point is it is considerd very country bumpkinish.

The counties are no different the closer they are to DC. The further out you go in each county the more country rustic feel you get. The people are the basically the same in both counties.
I agree. Not much difference between Montgomery and Fairfax. Both counties probably have much more in common with Middle Eastern, Salvadorean or East Indian culture. Both have over-priced housing, hellish traffic and have become "anywhere USA" with no distinct character.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't these two counties also equip each new family who moves there with a Dodge Caravan or similar minivan with soccer ball sticker in the window and a bumper sticker that says "My Child Is An Honor Roll Student At....School"?

I think that Prince William in VA and Prince "George's" in MD are very similar.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:39 AM

23 posts, read 99,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
I was told that if someone was going to move to the DC area that you will find extreme differences between the Maryland Suburbs and VA suburbs. Maryland is an extension of New Jersey and Philly and the people are abrupt, harried and somewhat standoffish. While Fairfax County Va is more southern with more politeness, friendly people and a relaxed comfortable southern feel. Agree?
I agree in that most of those who live in Northern Virginia are from other parts of the country, where apparently aggressiveness and abruptness is a virtue. From observing them on the road, I can only surmise that they are "mentally challenged" and as a result feel that mashing the accelerator augments driving deficiencies. Aggressive driving cameras are a reaction to Northern Virginia drivers shooting each other and otherwise terrorizing each other. Conversely, green lights seem to short circuit them sometimes and they aren't sure whether to proceed or not! Those not from other states are from foreign countries. Transferring bicycling skills to driving a car can be a wonder to behold!!

My poor brother-in-law bikes to work (a rarity) and has been knocked down three times by No. VA. drivers!!

Old 12-21-2007, 02:02 PM

183 posts, read 206,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callsitlikeitis View Post
I think that Prince William in VA and Prince "George's" in MD are very similar.
In what way? The only thing that Prince William and Prince Georges have in common is that both counties have the name "Prince" in it. I think Prince William county has more in common with Charles County.

Old 12-21-2007, 02:17 PM

419 posts, read 1,808,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickluva View Post
In what way? The only thing that Prince William and Prince Georges have in common is that both counties have the name "Prince" in it. I think Prince William county has more in common with Charles County.
Prince William County VA is now mostly Hispanic Immigrants (many illegal aliens) while Charles County is mostly Black professionals running from the crime in Prince Georges County in MD.

Old 12-21-2007, 02:27 PM

183 posts, read 206,011 times
Quote:
Prince William County VA is now mostly Hispanic Immigrants (many illegal aliens) while Charles County is mostly Black professionals running from the crime in Prince Georges County in MD.
That's true I was kinda speaking more from a geographical standpoint. Both are pretty far out from the District. Both have that suburban/rural feel even though Prince William is losing it faster(Charles county is a couple of steps behind but headed in the same direction as PW)

Old 12-21-2007, 03:00 PM

109 posts, read 572,656 times
Default Not entirely true

Quote:
In July of this year, the Brookings Institute released a study about the migration patterns into and out of PGC. That was followed a couple of days later by a live chat with the author in which he answered the following question from a College Park resident:

College Park: The news story about your study quoted several politicians who said something along the lines of "there isn't a problem" or "we don't see that happening here."

Hello, politicians, data shows that people who are moving in are making less than those who are moving out, and that demographic trends are occurring, whether you want to acknowledge them or not.

My questions for you: how does one get politicians to accept facts that they may not want to see? What are the potential consequences of denying that a shift is occurring?

Thanks.

Brooke DeRenzis: The number of people leaving Prince George's County for the outlying counties of Anne Arundel, Howard, and Charles are not extremely large. And though their typical incomes were higher than those moving into the county, they were not exceptionally high for the area. For these reasons, I don't think that there's much cause for alarm among Prince George's County politicians.

So while I'm sure some middle class/professional residents have left for various reasons, the numbers are relatively small.

Old 12-21-2007, 05:39 PM

658 posts, read 1,792,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickluva View Post
That's true I was kinda speaking more from a geographical standpoint. Both are pretty far out from the District. Both have that suburban/rural feel even though Prince William is losing it faster(Charles county is a couple of steps behind but headed in the same direction as PW)
i guess the pgc population might on average be farther out from the county than moco ??but it borders dc as well
unlike pwc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland