Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 11:41 AM

1,389 posts, read 6,299,715 times

Advertisements

I am so happy that people know the facts about the county. LE and turthhurts you guys have put a new positive light on pg county an dlet these peopl eknow that you can raise a good and happy family in PG county. I love facts instead of bais opinions.

Old 12-23-2007, 11:58 AM

57 posts, read 297,440 times
Default not likely a conspiracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthhurts View Post
LE, great find. This would lead me to believe, that a lot of the county information is purposely falsified when given out to the public in large amounts. Wonder why this is the case?
Well...I doubt there is any conspiracy. It's more likely the following:
1) PG is does a very poor job of self-promotion. Marketing, really.
2) Reporters are not savvy. They are typically young, inexperienced (because these types are cheaper) and they are underfunded in terms of the capital needed to dig into a story. As a result, they have become mere Parrots. Just repeating whatever some egghead tells them.

The big problem is that, when you combine 1) and 2), you get misinformation that is spread and accepted as fact. The result is that good people begin to believe it and then they leave. This has a compounding effect that can ruin an area for a long time. There are several inner-beltway neighborhoods that can attest to that fact. This is the reason I defend the County. Because if I don't, good people will believe what they are told by other sources that have no stake in the County's long-term future.

Old 12-25-2007, 10:39 PM

2 posts, read 8,390 times
Post pg

It really does not matter about these so called improvements in a destitue county that does not matter in the bigger ptcture. The county is filled with listless people who are the decay of western civilization.[/quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post
I am so tried of people only mentioning the negatives of the county. If the residents of Pg county are happy and love living in the county then why keep on posting comments especially if you no longer live in the county. Why not post comments about the area or county you resides. Talk about the improvements,change take time and I do believe the government are making changes. If you only look for negatives issues you will only find negative issues.
For one Pg county governemnt are getting rid of section 8 projects.
The government are spending more money on education and per pupils then any other county in 2007 and coming years.
The county have build new schools and more on the way.
The county have started building new malls,shopping centers,New communities,New upscale shopping areas.
We know the county have some issues, the county governement are trying their best to fix the issues.
Its not helping the county by outsiders who consistantly making negative comments about the county. JUST STOP. The residents are happy living here. If you live in another county lets talk about issues in your county, not an area you do not live in. Whats the point. I have no reason to make comments or post about other surrounding counties because I have no ties in other county except Pg county. All county have their issues so why bash only one county.

Old 12-25-2007, 10:44 PM

2 posts, read 8,390 times
Default pg

If you look at the history of pg county a sensible person can determine that there is no hope for this place. The residets have a self defeating attitude and half the county expect handouts from the government. In fact I can say conservativley say that most of the residents are use to a diet of government issued food. There are exceptions like bowie,ft.washington etc. but the rest of the county is filled with rednecks and ghetto people from the lowest end of the food chain.

Old 12-25-2007, 11:25 PM

217 posts, read 752,029 times
Quote:
How about you define it? Is the term "wealth" now all of a sudden questionable, because PGC is mentioned after it? I did not notice your disagreement on the term usage of "wealth" on my Howard County post? Are "affluent" and "wealth" only to be disagree when discussing Blacks? Would you have questioned my post if it said "Prince Georges County is the 49th Poorest County in the Country." Would you have asked me to define the word "poverty" in relation to blacks? What if my post said PGC is "Poorest of the Large Counties in the DC Metro" would you have questioned my usage of "poor?"

Anyway clearly the issue has nothing to do with how I define "wealth" as i've learned by the mention of "affluence" it has nothing to do with either word as much as it has to do with the word following.

"Affluent White" --- board does not question usage of the term "Affluent"
"Wealthiest White" --- board does not question usage of the term "Wealth"

Am I the only one that is noticing this striking difference? As you can see from most of my post i'm not on the "you're only doing it because people are black etc" mind set, but I cannot help but notice the glaring differences in how people attack the two words when the following word happens to be black.

Just look at the number of times this has been viewed in comparison to my Howard County post. If anything it is clearly obvious RACE MATTERS to a greater extent then all of the poster are trying to say it does to them.
There are some folks on here that want to pull the "RACE CARD" at any time for any reply. All I said was "define wealth". That is a simple question and no racial slurring was involved. Did you see it as so?? If so, how?
I have lived in the county for 20 years and I know full well thousands of wealthy blacks did not migrate here from other locales just to be part of "the wealthiest black county in America". If so, they are missing what they left.
Wealth in the case of this county is measured by salary and not by financial holdings such as investments or years of holdings.
The fact that this county is over 50% black speaks for itself. The fact annual incomes are high among blacks in the county does as well.
What if the county was over 50% impoverished hispanics and 35% blacks that had annual incomes of $200K?
Would this still be "the wealthiest black county in America"?
No, the demographics would throw that out of balance.

Still, my question remains unanswered and was jilted by someone wanting to throw racial cuts at it. Would true wealth allow so many homes to default?

Aren't the words "wealth" and "rich" synonymous? A high salary doesn't make one rich or wealthy as that salary can be taken away instantly...unless one owns the company that is paying the salary.
Wealth is property, holdings or other means of substance other than that weekly check.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:51 PM

746 posts, read 845,578 times
Default You did not say anything that I....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfister View Post
There are some folks on here that want to pull the "RACE CARD" at any time for any reply. All I said was "define wealth". That is a simple question and no racial slurring was involved. Did you see it as so?? If so, how?
I have lived in the county for 20 years and I know full well thousands of wealthy blacks did not migrate here from other locales just to be part of "the wealthiest black county in America". If so, they are missing what they left.
Wealth in the case of this county is measured by salary and not by financial holdings such as investments or years of holdings.
The fact that this county is over 50% black speaks for itself. The fact annual incomes are high among blacks in the county does as well.
What if the county was over 50% impoverished hispanics and 35% blacks that had annual incomes of $200K?
Would this still be "the wealthiest black county in America"?
No, the demographics would throw that out of balance.

Still, my question remains unanswered and was jilted by someone wanting to throw racial cuts at it. Would true wealth allow so many homes to default?

Aren't the words "wealth" and "rich" synonymous? A high salary doesn't make one rich or wealthy as that salary can be taken away instantly...unless one owns the company that is paying the salary.
Wealth is property, holdings or other means of substance other than that weekly check.
Look dude, you didn't say anything that goes without saying. My point was simple. I purposely wrote Wealthy on both Howard County and PG County titles when i included the forum topics. However, the only time there seems to be a problem with the word use of "affluent" or "wealth" is when the ending terms happens to be black. I simple made a very accute oberservation after hearing this word mentinoned a number of times on different boards in different places and observing reactions to the word.

In other words cut the "RACE CARD" bs. I would ask you do not use that word when referencing a piece of my material. Well, we are at it can you please explain what defines a "Race Card?"

Anyway, i'll answer your qestion the best way i feel it should be answerd. You basically did not say anything that i would not agree with in terms of "Wealth" or "Affluence," but no matter what you want to say 98% of the people in this country are Wage earners. It just so happens that 5% of those wage earners, earn a lot more than 95% of all Americans. Therefore in terms of "Wealth" PG's wage earners are in the top 5% of the country. Now in terms of actual assets what you said could be said about ever last county in the top 10% of counties in this country. Most of the actual "wealth" in Moco and Fairfax is concentrated in specific areas although like PG most of the county compared to most other American counties have high wages. In other words what's your point?

Now if you wanted to position your argument to be more honest and factaul you could have simply said compared to Moco and Fairfax PG does not have as many "affluent" families, which would have been true. PG has a considerably larger low middle class than the other two counties. However, again compared to most American Counties PGC has a considerable larger "Affluent" group of individuals.

Just to make it clear and concise in terms of assets you could make the argument you're making out of every last county in this country, so why make it only about PG?

Old 01-04-2008, 01:22 AM

564 posts, read 892,360 times
UMMMMMMMM-It really wasn't a surprise to you was it, truth? Those numbers will continue to fall as everything else will-as a famous band's song says-"you know it's sad, but true".

Old 01-04-2008, 06:04 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,028,394 times
Default Sorry but the reality is

Quote:
Look dude, you didn't say anything that goes without saying. My point was simple. I purposely wrote Wealthy on both Howard County and PG County titles when i included the forum topics. However, the only time there seems to be a problem with the word use of "affluent" or "wealth" is when the ending terms happens to be black. I simple made a very accute oberservation after hearing this word mentinoned a number of times on different boards in different places and observing reactions to the word.

In other words cut the "RACE CARD" bs. I would ask you do not use that word when referencing a piece of my material. Well, we are at it can you please explain what defines a "Race Card?"

Anyway, i'll answer your qestion the best way i feel it should be answerd. You basically did not say anything that i would not agree with in terms of "Wealth" or "Affluence," but no matter what you want to say 98% of the people in this country are Wage earners. It just so happens that 5% of those wage earners, earn a lot more than 95% of all Americans. Therefore in terms of "Wealth" PG's wage earners are in the top 5% of the country. Now in terms of actual assets what you said could be said about ever last county in the top 10% of counties in this country. Most of the actual "wealth" in Moco and Fairfax is concentrated in specific areas although like PG most of the county compared to most other American counties have high wages. In other words what's your point?

Now if you wanted to position your argument to be more honest and factaul you could have simply said compared to Moco and Fairfax PG does not have as many "affluent" families, which would have been true. PG has a considerably larger low middle class than the other two counties. However, again compared to most American Counties PGC has a considerable larger "Affluent" group of individuals.

Just to make it clear and concise in terms of assets you could make the argument you're making out of every last county in this country, so why make it only about PG?
The reality is that Howard etc are in the top ten of all counties regardless of demographics. You must bring race into the equation to say that PG is a wealthy county. The preface is that it is the wealthiest majority African American county in the country. Just being the wealthiest family in a given town doesn't give you absolute wealth. I would suggest that someone here might want to post and research the tax dollar flow generated by Howard and Prince Georges and which county gets the most back. Sorta like a government ledger sheet. The foreclosure article linked in several other threads today features PG as the crisis point and doesn't mention Howard. If absolute wealth is so great then the county does not need assistance in meeting the emerging challenge. After all you shouldn't ask your poor cousin to help you out when you are the affluent one. This is not about race it is about data and the objective interpretation and application of. The success Obama had in Iowa is because of just that. The public good is the public good regardless of sub group.
bizjournals: How 100 counties ranked in wealth (http://www.bizjournals.com/specials/pages/122.html - broken link)

Part of the problem is that PG is sitting in the same geographic areas as counties that are the top wealthiest by any measurement and that invites the comparison.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:13 AM

350 posts, read 1,645,670 times
Why does the wealth issue matter? Money doesn't make people better. I live in Howard County, but I'm no where near what you'd consider "wealthy"- nor was I when I lived in PG County.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:35 AM

746 posts, read 845,578 times
Default Misleading Turbo and you know it

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
The reality is that Howard etc are in the top ten of all counties regardless of demographics. You must bring race into the equation to say that PG is a wealthy county. The preface is that it is the wealthiest majority African American county in the country. Just being the wealthiest family in a given town doesn't give you absolute wealth. I would suggest that someone here might want to post and research the tax dollar flow generated by Howard and Prince Georges and which county gets the most back. Sorta like a government ledger sheet. The foreclosure article linked in several other threads today features PG as the crisis point and doesn't mention Howard. If absolute wealth is so great then the county does not need assistance in meeting the emerging challenge. After all you shouldn't ask your poor cousin to help you out when you are the affluent one. This is not about race it is about data and the objective interpretation and application of. The success Obama had in Iowa is because of just that. The public good is the public good regardless of sub group.
bizjournals: How 100 counties ranked in wealth (http://www.bizjournals.com/specials/pages/122.html - broken link)

Part of the problem is that PG is sitting in the same geographic areas as counties that are the top wealthiest by any measurement and that invites the comparison.
Turbo bro, i attacked your argument in the Howard section, but i'll do it here again. I'll make it simple. You are being accurate but very misleading.

However, i'll sum this up very quickly.

Per Capita is a lot different than Median

Per Capita measure the income of ALL working age individuals (so if you have a county that has a high poverty rate you're going to have a lower per capita income)

Median Income is for this measure a lot more fair, because it measure all working adults in each othe counties and discredits the poor people and working teen-agers and just gives you the exact median income

Why is this more relevent, because compare the poverty rates for each of the counties PGC is consistently higher or in the top

1. This brings down the per capita income
2. PGC also without looking i bet has a higher number of people between the ages of 16-25 (low income earners) Teens that either work at Subway or College students that do not work at all??

Okay now to tackle you argument for lack of fact or anything.

There are more than 3100 counties in this country

Basic Math dude

100/3100 = Top 3%

The article highlighted the top 3% of all counties in this country
Counties that are 97% wealthier than all other counties

PGC rank in Median Income places it in the top 5%

PG rank in per capita income places it in the top 8%

Rank Median Income 49th
Rank in Per Capita 252

Out of 3100 counties

Let me ask you what i asked you in the other forum

Example of why your argument sucks.

Let's take a group of Kids all testing to get into Harvard out of 3100 test takers. Here are the scores of the top 10%

99%
99%
98%
98%
97%
95%
94%
92%
91%
90%

More than 300 children score in the 90% percentile (meaning they scored better than 90% of all other students). Would you consider the kid that scored 92% to be considerably less stupid then the kid that scored 99% or 97%?

Harvard i'd bet would consider all of the 300 students that scored in the top 10% in the same intelligence class? Wouldn't it be redicioulous to attempt to say something otherwise?

Another example in the DC-Metro which has the "Dream Team" of wealthy counties in this country.

If Larry Bird was the 8th best player on the 1992 Dream Team does that means he's a lot worse than the other players on the Dream Team? Or does it simply mean he's not the best out of a group of the best, but he's definitely a lot better than the majority of basketball players??? Answer those questions for me and stop the foolish misleading arguments.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland