Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 08:31 PM

55 posts, read 380,830 times

Advertisements

I haven't decided whether I'll take the position and I'm not in a rush to make a decision; just weighing the possibility at present. Nonetheless, I wondering if anyone who works in or near Silver Spring can provide their thoughts on commuting to/from various locations in Maryland and Virginia. I'm open as to specific communities, as well as the option of driving or taking Metro or some other means of getting there (if there is any other). My main goal in this regard is: If by rail, what would be some places where the commute time would be under 45-50 minutes? OR...if by car, less than 30-35 minutes?

In terms of housing, we would be seeking either a townhome or small house - we have one child (elementary school) and could get by with 2 bedrooms. We definitely do not need more than 3 bedrooms. We would actually rather trade some space for a better location -- we're not interested in living way "out" to have a bigger house or bigger yard. (Actually, a tiny yard or no yard would be okay -- would rather be somewhat close to stuff). Our optimal spend range would be $390-$450K.

The complicating issue (as is often the case) is that we do need to be in a community with a good school system and of course safe. I know some people in the area and have gotten something of a bias toward the idea of living in Northern Virginia instead of MD, but I'm not settled on anything yet.

I'm wondering what some options for that might be given working in Silver Spring MD, given the factors I've described above. (I may post this same item on the Northern Virginia post, too -- just to get as many ideas as I can). Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 06:04 AM

106 posts, read 442,238 times
I live in Kensington, which is next to Silver Spring. I think it is a fabulous community, safe and with schools that are some of the best in the country. I did a quick search and found over 20 townhouse/condos and 5 single family homes in your price range. Your commute would be about 15-20 minutes. There is easy access to both metro and MARC trains if you need to get anywhere by rail. There is a fairly good, not the best bus transit system. I use it regularly and can get anywhere I need to be.

I don't know where you are moving from. I came from New England and didn't know if I would like it or not but I can't imagine ever leaving the area. There is so much to do, much of it free (zoos, museums, community concerts etc). The pace can be very hectic but I just set limits for myself and my kids and we do just fine.

Last edited by 7th generation; 12-20-2008 at 04:46 PM..

Old 12-20-2008, 09:34 AM

884 posts, read 2,642,395 times
I second Kensington. I live in Silver Spring closer to the "bad" side and I have not had problems BUT I would not buy over here. I'm considering Kensington too. Burnt Mills community off 29 in the 20901 zip is nice also. Welcome to MD.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:32 PM

Thanks Marilyn -- this is helpful and something I'll look into further should I do the move. As for the comment by Bigbluelandrover: I'm assuming from your comment that there's a good area and an area that's on the "wrong side of the tracks." What are the generally good areas of Silver Spring (if any)? Or would you avoid Silver Spring altogether and look at the areas mentioned such as Kensington?

Also, someone mentioned to me that he lives in Arlington and has only a 30 minute commute to Silver Spring...does that sound possible? (Aside from fact that Arlington is probably very expensive, I'm curious about that and other areas of VA and how hard it would be to commute)

Old 12-21-2008, 09:42 AM

184 posts, read 751,232 times
I commuted for years from Silver Spring to Northern Virginia and it was about an hour each way. I took Metro so it wouldn't have been any quicker going the other direction. I wouldn't recommend the commute.

Silver Spring is huge and there are better and worse areas. Zip code 20910 contains the downtown area. Is that where you are working? It is city-like, and there are some nice neighborhoods right nearby. Kensington is a good option too.

Old 12-21-2008, 12:37 PM

Was the commute by METRO so long mainly because of all the stops? How far out in VA were you going? I would love to live close work (which would be near the Silver Spring METRO stop) but of course schools and safety are a primary concern.

They are going to fly me there for a visit in January so I'll get a few days to take a look around. I'm familiar with DC but I really don't have much familiarity with anything near or outside the beltway (either MD or VA).

Old 12-22-2008, 10:53 PM

2 posts, read 8,416 times
I was curious what areas are nice like Bethesda, but are a little less expensive?
My husband and I are relocating from Seattle come mid January, and its so hard to tell over the internet when searching for apts!
Thanks so much

Old 12-26-2008, 08:05 PM

3 posts, read 13,556 times
Chsitinaalyn,

Bethesda is a very nice place. I considered Silver Springs, but I honestly cannot stand this place after a week of staying in a hotel. I have a place in Bethesda ready to go. I didn't move there, but I've heard Battery Lane has some good units around $1500 a month. A ton of restaurants in the area within walking distance. You will like it. Good luck.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:23 PM

I did a bunch of research on schools and came to the conclusion that I have two choices if I were to live in Maryland and work in Silver Spring AND need a good school district:

1) Live pretty far north (Frederick County, I guess?) to get a decent house for 500K but have what I assume would be a pretty long commute to Silver Spring (correct me if I'm wrong on the commute)

or

2) Live in Bethesda or Chevy Chase in a very small townhome or condo for 500K but have a nice area closer to "stuff"

I wasn't impressed with most of the schools in Olney, Kensington, or some of the other areas some folks suggested. Maybe I missed the good areas. Are my conclusions above an accurate representation of the state of affairs? Or am I missing something?

Old 01-01-2009, 12:38 PM

106 posts, read 442,238 times
If you live in Frederick you will have a long commute. With traffic it could easily take you over an hour.

I'm not sure which schools you saw for Kensington. There are three in the area. There is the BCC cluster (North Chevy Chase Elementary, Westland Middle School and BCC highschool), the Walter Johnson (Parkwood Elementary, Pyle Middle School and Walter Johnson Highschool) cluster and the Einstein cluster. BCC and Walter Johnson clusters are wonderful. Einstein has some issues.
Another area you might consider is Howard County. The schools there are supposed to be very good and the commute to Silver Spring wouldn't be too bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland