Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2014, 12:35 PM

6 posts, read 18,564 times

Advertisements

Hello all! My fiance and I are looking to buy a house. We currently own our home in Centreville, VA. For reasons I can't exactly get into, we are looking at buying a home in a HUB Zone for us to live. We would like to move into DC, but are open to surrounding areas in MD and VA. The issue is, we need a neighborhood that is decent (avoiding Anacostia, etc). We are young (25) and don't have any children yet, but are looking to stay in this house for about 3-5 years, so we may have young kids, although they won't be in school. However, for renting/ resale value we would like decent schools. Like I said, needs to be a HUB Zone. [url=http://map.sba.gov/hubzone/maps/]HUBZone Mapping 4.0[/url] If anyone can even give guidance to which areas we should look into/ avoid, that would be helpful!

Also, we are looking for a home under $300K, since we already have a mortgage for the house we are living in now. Biggest priority is HUB Zone, and low crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 05:19 PM

13,323 posts, read 26,778,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyymica View Post
Also, we are looking for a home under $300K, since we already have a mortgage for the house we are living in now. Biggest priority is HUB Zone, and low crime.
I have no idea what a HUB zone is, but I have looked at the map of Montgomery County. Anything you find in the MoCo HUB zones under $300K will be a fixer-upper. The schools will not be the greatest, and they won't be the lowest crime either-- you have to be realistic about moving into a lower-income neighborhood.

The ones I recognize are parts of Wheaton, north of University Blvd, Aspen Hill, Connecticut Avenue Estates and part of Rockville west of Viers Mill Road (eg Holiday Park). None of these are bad neighborhoods but they are not hotly desirable either. If it were my choice, I would say Connecticut Avenue Estates is the best.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:14 PM

13,323 posts, read 26,778,087 times
It is very hard to find anything in your price range except condos and townhouses in the Montgomery County HUB zones. This one is close to a negotiable price range: http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...2_M59776-27527 The schools are "average" according to Greatschools ratings. This one is also in the HUB zone, but already has a contingent offer on it: http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...53-80676?row=1

The only areas I would avoid are the ones in Rockville west of Route 586 near the train tracks. The train noise and associated "wrong side of the tracks" atmosphere will hurt resale value, IMO.

Last edited by goldenage1; 08-15-2014 at 09:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
View detailed profiles of: