Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 06:14 PM

3 posts, read 2,942 times

Advertisements

Hi all -

Looking to possibly relocate for work in Silver Spring from Atlanta. Commute not too much of an issue (30+ miles not a problem), looking for good public high schools in a nice area with "affordable housing" (for me, 250-350k) and a decent standard of living.

Unfortunately I guess my income classifies me as lower-middle class (120k) so I know I won't have a lot to choose from. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 06:54 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DP_Snotty View Post
Looking to possibly relocate for work in Silver Spring from Atlanta. Commute not too much of an issue (30+ miles not a problem), looking for good public high schools in a nice area with "affordable housing" (for me, 250-350k) and a decent standard of living.

Unfortunately I guess my income classifies me as lower-middle class (120k) so I know I won't have a lot to choose from. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance...
I'd probably try to find an affordable place in Howard County in the the best high-school zone I could afford. However, your budget is very constrained for Maryland. $250K will get you a condominium. $350K is going to get you a townhouse or older ranch house. These options will be quite crowded with two teenagers. Can you comfortably increase your budget to about $450K? That would allow you to buy an older 4-bedroom house.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:06 PM

2,193 posts, read 2,689,433 times
Quote:
Hi all -

30+ miles can take 2 hours+ each way in DC area, so definitely don't pay attention to the distance so much as traffic patterns. How big a place are you trying for on this 250-350K budget? That's the most important factor in determining where you can afford.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:28 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,305,210 times
Are you familiar with the website greatschools.org? If so, what is your minimum HS score you'd consider (scale 1-10)? My version of good and yours might not be the same That price range will have you in condo/townhouse or *maybe* an older ranch. I find it easiest to pick out a handful of high schools in a given district you'd consider and then seeing what you can afford there. It IS a price shocker in this area, isn't it?

Old 09-02-2014, 08:27 PM

Thanks for the quick responses. I see it may be necessary to raise the housing budget considerably. Schools are a priority; thanks for the website cjmeck - I don't think I'd consider less than an 8 (similar to current HS). Commuting will most likely be off-hours (heading to work late afternoon) to Silver Spring, hence the 30ml qualifier.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:35 PM

408 posts, read 723,821 times
greatschools.org is a great resource when house hunting... the school grade usually reflects the neighborhood quality, and from there you can Zillow or mris the rest, good luck....

p.s. 120k is lower middle class and unfortunate?

Old 09-02-2014, 08:38 PM

Quote:
I don't think I'd consider less than an 8 (similar to current HS). Commuting will most likely be off-hours (heading to work late afternoon) to Silver Spring, hence the 30ml qualifier.
Once you find some of the qualifying high schools, I suggest using Redfin.com to search for houses in your price range.

You might look at Reservoir High in Fulton. It rates an 8 out of 10 at Greatschools, and Fulton would be a comfortable commute in the afternoon. Atholton High School is a little longer commute to Silver Spring, but it rates a 10 of 10. In both zones, there are a few single family houses in the $315K to $370K range which might work for you.

Last edited by goldenage1; 09-02-2014 at 08:57 PM..

Old 09-02-2014, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackZappa301 View Post
greatschools.org is a great resource when house hunting... the school grade usually reflects the neighborhood quality, and from there you can Zillow or mris the rest, good luck....

p.s. 120k is lower middle class and unfortunate?
Thanks, and I guess it feels that way looking at home prices in the area - there are a ton waaaaaay out of my price range...

Old 09-02-2014, 11:55 PM

2,193 posts, read 2,689,433 times
Researching the schools/counties themselves is as important - if not more so - than the individual school's rating. The rating is simply based on testing scores (telling only a fraction of the story, if that), not to mention they commonly vary quite a bit from year to year.

For example, Montgomery County does a great job offering extensive AP coursework, have IB programs at various schools specializing in different subjects, have a multitude of extracurriculars, etc. The school and district needs to fit your child's needs, whether that be special ed, APs, or something inbetween. That's by far the most important; e.g., if your kid is an AP-quality student and they attend a "10" school in a small school/district that has limited AP offerings then you're completely hamstringing them, even though they attend a school where an above average number of students pass the standardized test.

Alternatively, if you enroll your kid(s) in a larger school in a well-funded district that's *only* a 7, but has the monies and student size to offer a full array of APs, has afterschool study clubs and tutors, etc. then you're setting your kid up to excel and giving them a higher ceiling to reach for. All the other kids in those AP classes will of course be excellent students with excellent teachers - the fact there happens to also be lower-level students on the other side of the building pulling down the overall standardized test percentages doesn't actually have any impact on your kid (assuming the school is a safe environment, overall). By high school if your kid is a "10" then they'll be lumped with other "10" students in AP classes; "7"s with other "7"s in honors classes, "5"s with other "5"s in regular classes, "3"s with other "3"s in special ed/lower-functioning courses. Unless you go to a smaller school/district where those lines invariably have to blur because there are fewer classes offered, that is.

In sum, I'd put very, very little stock in those standardized test numbers, especially when comparing across different counties. They don't tell you any of the actual, pertinent facts of the school or district (and I'm saying all this as someone who lives a block away from a "9", not someone who feels gypped by greatschools.com).

Old 09-03-2014, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
For example, Montgomery County does a great job offering extensive AP coursework, have IB programs at various schools specializing in different subjects, have a multitude of extracurriculars, etc. The school and district needs to fit your child's needs, whether that be special ed, APs, or something in between.
There are some valid points here. However, unless the OP has a child with a strong need for one of the MoCo programs, I still think their quality of life will be better in Howard County. Furthermore, Reservoir High does have Advanced Placement classes.

The Montgomery County High Schools along the Route 29 or 97 corridors on the commute to Silver Spring are generally not ones I would recommend. The exception is Montgomery Blair with a strong science and math program if that is an interest, but the housing in the school zone was built in the 50's and 60's. Otherwise, I would not recommend the schools like Springbrook, Kennedy, Blake or Wheaton, etc to the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland