U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 06:55 AM

517 posts, read 388,421 times

Advertisements

Groundbreaking ceremony held for new Md. mixed-use apartment, townhome community | WJLA

Groundbreaking ceremony held for new Md. mixed-use apartment, townhome community

A groundbreaking ceremony was held Tuesday for a new mixed-use apartment and townhome community in Hyattsville, Maryland.
The event took place at the Riverfront at West Hyattsville Metro. Councilmember Deni Taveras and Hyattsville Mayor Candace Hollingsworth were a few of the speakers at the ceremony.
This new development features 183 homes and 300 apartment homes and will include 9,000 square feet of ground floor retail and a creation of a 4.5 acre community park recreation area.
ABC7 News' Brad Bell has more on this story in the above video.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughLow805 View Post
Oh the Town Center beer garden is one of my favorite places in the area...it is exactly what Adelphi described to me...very neighborhood, almost back alley place...I love the entire area of the town center.

I hope more things open up around there but I know it will be hard since they're off the beaten path. I think the architectural salvage store on Baltimore Ave. needs to move and looked around there but the rent is apparently high. Seems like the owners would rather the storefronts stay empty. I hope that old Main Street can attract some non-chain restaurants and businesses.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:32 AM

5,586 posts, read 6,368,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingbutnotlost View Post
I hope more things open up around there but I know it will be hard since they're off the beaten path. I think the architectural salvage store on Baltimore Ave. needs to move and looked around there but the rent is apparently high. Seems like the owners would rather the storefronts stay empty. I hope that old Main Street can attract some non-chain restaurants and businesses.
Riverdale Park Station will add some traffic. THe two will be connected by bike trails and the bridge once completed. ALso, if MARC increases the frequency of service, there could be more foot traffic for those taking MARC.

The area is adding like 1000+ new units over the next 5 years. People are bound to discover Riverdale Town Center.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:29 PM

2,058 posts, read 1,085,422 times
Quote:
Groundbreaking ceremony held for new Md. mixed-use apartment, townhome community | WJLA

Groundbreaking ceremony held for new Md. mixed-use apartment, townhome community

A groundbreaking ceremony was held Tuesday for a new mixed-use apartment and townhome community in Hyattsville, Maryland.
The event took place at the Riverfront at West Hyattsville Metro. Councilmember Deni Taveras and Hyattsville Mayor Candace Hollingsworth were a few of the speakers at the ceremony.
This new development features 183 homes and 300 apartment homes and will include 9,000 square feet of ground floor retail and a creation of a 4.5 acre community park recreation area.
ABC7 News' Brad Bell has more on this story in the above video.
Nice to hear about this, that development sounds awesome. On a side note I actually like the graffiti on that warehouse.

Old 07-26-2017, 05:16 PM

3700 East-West Highway is being converted to apartments. But not just any apartments. Apparently, they will be student housing?

DSP that illustrates the floorplans.

http://mncppc.iqm2.com/Citizens/File...MeetingID=1388

Old 07-26-2017, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
3700 East-West Highway is being converted to apartments. But not just any apartments. Apparently, they will be student housing?

DSP that illustrates the floorplans.

http://mncppc.iqm2.com/Citizens/File...MeetingID=1388
Where did you see student housing? Also it's too bad they're not really updating the facade. It's hideous. I think this is part of MDs push to get students out of the neighborhoods and into student housing which isnt a terrible thing. It'll be good for those businesses.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:55 PM

224 posts, read 164,248 times
I have no idea how this area is going to fill all of the apartments that are being built, seems crazy to me

Old 07-27-2017, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Where did you see student housing? Also it's too bad they're not really updating the facade. It's hideous. I think this is part of MDs push to get students out of the neighborhoods and into student housing which isnt a terrible thing. It'll be good for those businesses.
The floorplans in the DSP show the rooms are small enough for two beds, a common area, and a bathroom. The labels also indicate one and two beds, not bedrooms. Unless I'm looking at it wrong? JUst looks like a student housing type layout with bike storage and common laundry rooms, etc.

PS. It looks better than most of the 50s era office buildings. lol And it is designed after the Kennedy Center by the same architect. I think it looks more European than anything. But not like the new office/apartment designs we've seen in the last 20 years. THere have been some articles on suburban office building being retrofitted to apartments. It is a way to revive dead office parks.

Last edited by adelphi_sky; 07-27-2017 at 05:30 AM..

Old 07-27-2017, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughLow805 View Post
I have no idea how this area is going to fill all of the apartments that are being built, seems crazy to me
As long as DC is expensive to live in, the apartments will be filled. As far these apartments are concerned, I think the developers saw the success of the student housing already at UTC. I imagine this building will be for all DC area colleges like the other one as UMD in college Park is close to a student housing glut situation. The recent opening of Terrapin Row added a lot more student beds. I'd be surprised if there is another new student housing project constructed in Hyattsville or College Park in the next few years. It is time for market rate professional apartments to be built now.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:20 AM

More great news for Hyattsville:

https://www.hyattsvillewire.com/2017...g-hyattsville/

Streetcar 82 Brewing Co. Signs Lease
Posted on August 1, 2017 by Ryan Teague Beckwith
Streetcar 82 Brewing Hyattsville brewery microbrew craft beer

A Belgian-inspired brewery is coming to Hyattsville.

Streetcar 82 Brewing Co. just announced it has signed a lease on a building up the street from Pizzeria Paradiso.

The space at 4824 Rhode Island is a former auto garage and it comes with two beautiful garage doors that open up and provide great indoor/outdoor brewing space. We’re looking forward to joining the growing community of makers and creatives in Hyattsville.

The brewery, which gets its name from the streetcar line that used to run up Rhode Island Avenue, was started by Gallaudet University graduates Jon Cetrano, Mark Burke and Sam Costner, who had returned to the D.C. area after working in other parts of the country.

On their website, the three say they chose Hyattsville because of the sense of community.

“We have the support of a large Deaf community, each of our neighborhoods (Eckington, Woodridge, and Hyattsville) has a unique, distinctive identity, and small town feel,” they wrote.

They’re living up to that promise already. They’ve brewed a Belgian Blond Ale with honey from the town’s own Hope Honey Farm and held a “Bikes and Beer” event with Arrow Bicycle just up the road.

Streetcar 82 is selling t-shirts with their logo (by Andres Otalora, a deaf graphic designer, and Route 66, a deaf-owned design and apparel company) on their website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland