Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 07:23 PM

795 posts, read 1,265,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
VA is roughly 4x the size of MD and most of VA is nowhere near near DC. A lot of VA is rural nothing with Appalachia thrown in. Where is the federal government down there, other than the Navy? How many in the SW corner down by TN and KY work for the federal government?

Most of MD is but 3-4 hours from DC. I have seen a large part of it and don't know of many huge corporations boasting thousands of employees.
Are private sector jobs in MD truly private sector or are they tied to the federal government in some way?

What private industries does MD hold up for all to see as a shining example? How many jobs support those industries? C'mon...give us some good ones.

The MD state government laughs while wiping their arse with us and will continue as long as sheople keep voting progressives into office.
Yea, you might want to search, like adelphi_sky suggested.

John Hopkins comes to mind.. Giant Food... I could search and go on, I'm sure.

And if a private sector job is tied to gov't, it does not matter too much... Many communities in the USA are tied to the gov't in one way or another.

Anyway, the vast majority of people work for private companies.

Your last sentence seems to suggest you want to make an overall point not tied to what you typed. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 10:05 AM

712 posts, read 1,088,185 times
Quote:
VA is roughly 4x the size of MD and most of VA is nowhere near near DC. A lot of VA is rural nothing with Appalachia thrown in. Where is the federal government down there, other than the Navy? How many in the SW corner down by TN and KY work for the federal government?

Most of MD is but 3-4 hours from DC. I have seen a large part of it and don't know of many huge corporations boasting thousands of employees.
Are private sector jobs in MD truly private sector or are they tied to the federal government in some way?

What private industries does MD hold up for all to see as a shining example? How many jobs support those industries? C'mon...give us some good ones.

The MD state government laughs while wiping their arse with us and will continue as long as sheople keep voting progressives into office.
Where is your source for the statement you made in your previous post though? Adelphi_sky posted his which contradicts the statement you made. Now all you're doing is asking more questions trying to win an argument without providing any evidence to prove some point.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:34 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,379,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_of_DC View Post
Yea, you might want to search, like adelphi_sky suggested.

John Hopkins comes to mind.. Giant Food... I could search and go on, I'm sure.

And if a private sector job is tied to gov't, it does not matter too much... Many communities in the USA are tied to the gov't in one way or another.

Anyway, the vast majority of people work for private companies.

Your last sentence seems to suggest you want to make an overall point not tied to what you typed. lol
Johns Hopkins is a quasi-government entity. It derives much of its funding from the NIH and enjoys outsized revenue from the state through the complicated and unique Maryland Health Commission. Ironically I think Giant is the top private employer in PG, not sure if that's a good thing though.

Still Maryland does have private industries of major renown, Marriot comes to mind for example.

Old 10-16-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Johns Hopkins is a quasi-government entity. It derives much of its funding from the NIH and enjoys outsized revenue from the state through the complicated and unique Maryland Health Commission. Ironically I think Giant is the top private employer in PG, not sure if that's a good thing though.

Still Maryland does have private industries of major renown, Marriot comes to mind for example.
It is still a private institution... no matter how you want to spin it. There are plenty of awards from NIH that go out all over this country... people would be surprised.

And when you consider the amount from NIH to their overall budget, you might get a shocker. Look it up...

I worked at NIH so I know the amount of money they kick around... people would be surprised where that money ends up.

End of the day though, they are not listed at quasi... only private. lol

Old 10-17-2014, 06:31 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,870,436 times
Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory is more or less a branch of the federal government as they fund most of it. I spent quite a few years there and most of the place was painted battleship gray. Some buildings had platforms resembling those on a Navy ship. There are a lot of new buildings now but the old ones were like those found on a military base. There were a lot of high ranking miltary personel around at times.
I worked in the space segment but collaborated with a lot of other engineers who designed weapons systems and other various ''stuff'' for various branches. Learning about the weapons systems of subs from those who designed them was fascinating.

Old 10-18-2014, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory is more or less a branch of the federal government as they fund most of it. I spent quite a few years there and most of the place was painted battleship gray. Some buildings had platforms resembling those on a Navy ship. There are a lot of new buildings now but the old ones were like those found on a military base. There were a lot of high ranking miltary personel around at times.
I worked in the space segment but collaborated with a lot of other engineers who designed weapons systems and other various ''stuff'' for various branches. Learning about the weapons systems of subs from those who designed them was fascinating.
But JH is still listed as "private". lol

When I had a private business once I worked closely with the gov't... I was not part of the gov't and my funding at the time relied on the gov't. I was still private.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland