U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 02:10 PM

98 posts, read 131,651 times

Advertisements

RockvilleNights.com is reporting that Roy Rogers will be opening next month on Rockville Pike.
RockvilleNights posted a few photos of the new restaurant. Should be a good addition on the Pike. I haven't had Roys in quite awhile!

Rockville Nights: ROY ROGERS ROCKVILLE SIGNS INSTALLED (PHOTOS)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 12:59 PM

687 posts, read 1,196,683 times
When Marriott sold the Roy Rogers chain to Hardee's in 1990 almost all the restaurants were converted into Hardee's. The problem turned out to be that Hardee's is gross and it was a huge blunder. A few years later they tried to convert them back to Roy Rogers but the brand name had been tarnished by then. A small number of independently owned Roy Rogers franchises have continued to operate but without the advertising and financial support that a big chain provides. There are still a handful of Roy Rogers in Fairfax County.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:14 PM

890 posts, read 1,724,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundman View Post
When Marriott sold the Roy Rogers chain to Hardee's in 1990 almost all the restaurants were converted into Hardee's. The problem turned out to be that Hardee's is gross and it was a huge blunder. A few years later they tried to convert them back to Roy Rogers but the brand name had been tarnished by then. A small number of independently owned Roy Rogers franchises have continued to operate but without the advertising and financial support that a big chain provides. There are still a handful of Roy Rogers in Fairfax County.
I find all these burger and fries fast food stores indistinguishable other than Arby's being ***** and McDs having the best fries. I don't know what they put in those potatoes that NEVER rot, or that have to be eaten fresh and hot....but damn, they're good.

Even the 'gourmet' places like Smashburger and Five Guys just blend in with the others for me.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:14 PM

11,817 posts, read 21,442,320 times
Quote:
The problem turned out to be that Hardee's is gross and it was a huge blunder. A few years later they tried to convert them back to Roy Rogers but the brand name had been tarnished by then. A small number of independently owned Roy Rogers franchises have continued to operate but without the advertising and financial support that a big chain provides. There are still a handful of Roy Rogers in Fairfax County.
What I liked about the original Roy Rogers was that you could buy a hamburger without any fixings and trim it yourself from a Fixings Bar. You could get simple lettuce, tomato and onions. They also had a very good horseradish mayo. You could make a relatively low-calorie burger with lots of veggies.

With Hardee's and others they slap all the fixings on together and top it with gooey sauce that must be 1000 calories.

I wish success to the new Roy's in Rockville.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:53 PM

5,442 posts, read 8,744,599 times
Quote:
We kept our Roy's here in Cumberland, independently owned as you say. Their roast beef is excellent. Pretty good fast food burgers too.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:15 PM

702 posts, read 1,110,029 times
We always stop at the RR in Frederick when we travel to PA and points west.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:22 PM

3,888 posts, read 3,846,444 times
The Roy Rogers Brand is owned b y Plumondon Restaurants in Frederick. They have several company owned stores in the Frederick area and (I believe) franchise it out in other areas

Old 10-18-2014, 02:42 PM

8,610 posts, read 6,710,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
We kept our Roy's here in Cumberland, independently owned as you say. Their roast beef is excellent. Pretty good fast food burgers too.
Unfortunately, like Arby's, the roast beef isn't sliced from a real chunk of cow. It is basically the same as luncheon meat - pieces formed into a loaf.
Real roast beef would be $$$ as it is $$$ a lb. A normal business would attempt to triple that to make a profit...especially if minimun wages go to $10 hr.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:55 AM

5,442 posts, read 8,744,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Unfortunately, like Arby's, the roast beef isn't sliced from a real chunk of cow. It is basically the same as luncheon meat - pieces formed into a loaf.
Real roast beef would be $$$ as it is $$$ a lb. A normal business would attempt to triple that to make a profit...especially if minimun wages go to $10 hr.
I don't think so. Their roast beef is the real deal, that is why you pay between $6-$7 dollars just for a plain sandwich.

Roy Rogers Regular Roast Beef Sandwich Recipe - Food.com
GrubGrade | Fast Food Review: The Original Roast Beef Sandwich from Roy Rogers

Old 10-19-2014, 10:51 AM

304 posts, read 625,638 times
There's all ready a Roy Roger's quietly tucked behind Lakeforest Mall in Gaithersburg. I was stunned as hell when I drove by it! It's been many moons since I had seen one in the region. I went inside and ordered a burger with fries. I, too, remember being a kid and LOVING RR because of being able to build my own burger. I used to pile onions and lettuce on my burger, and I loved experimenting with all of the sauces. The horseradish sauce was insane! They still have the same concept, today. I hope more of them open and closer to the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland