Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2014, 08:18 AM

203 posts, read 191,071 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate from my apartment in North Bethesda to Silver Spring, MD, but my current lease doesn't expire until February, 2015. This is creating a bit of a problem, because I really love the building in Silver Spring and I'm afraid none of the 1 bedroom units will be available when I'm ready to lease.

What are my options? I really dislike residing at my current apartment complex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 09:40 AM

2,194 posts, read 2,689,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_Springs View Post
I am looking to relocate from my apartment in North Bethesda to Silver Spring, MD, but my current lease doesn't expire until February, 2015. This is creating a bit of a problem, because I really love the building in Silver Spring and I'm afraid none of the 1 bedroom units will be available when I'm ready to lease.

What are my options? I really dislike residing at my current apartment complex.
Review your lease and speak with your apartment manager. There's surely a way for you to break your lease, but it'll probably cost you something, e.g. your deposit+month or two of rent. Alternatively, you might be able to sublet your unit, if that's allowable in your lease. Definitely speak to management - you'll hardly be the first person they've dealt with who is looking to break a lease. It happens regularly.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:44 AM

692 posts, read 1,004,771 times
Options:
-Finish out your lease and chance that units will be available ( winter is a painful time to move units may remain full or sit empty until the weather warms or the building may tell you if units will be available when you are ready and since)
-If it doesn't hurt your wallet or disrupt your schedule break your lease and move now

Old 10-22-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
Review your lease and speak with your apartment manager. There's surely a way for you to break your lease, but it'll probably cost you something, e.g. your deposit+month or two of rent. Alternatively, you might be able to sublet your unit, if that's allowable in your lease. Definitely speak to management - you'll hardly be the first person they've dealt with who is looking to break a lease. It happens regularly.
I reviewed my lease and spoke w/ management. For those who lose their employment, there is a stipulation where they will need to pay 2 months rent, plus any existing charges to get out of the lease. For all others (such as myself), the only way out is to pay the remaining months owed on the lease. Unfortunately, I will not be able to pay my way out of this lease.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubina View Post
Options:
-Finish out your lease and chance that units will be available ( winter is a painful time to move units may remain full or sit empty until the weather warms or the building may tell you if units will be available when you are ready and since)
-If it doesn't hurt your wallet or disrupt your schedule break your lease and move now
I am hoping for the best. I've heard that winter is a very slow period, so I may actually get lucky, but I hate the uncertainty. There's nothing like finding the perfect apartment, in the perfect building w/ the perfect location.

I desperately want out of North Bethesda...

Old 10-22-2014, 12:53 PM

2,194 posts, read 2,689,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_Springs View Post
I reviewed my lease and spoke w/ management. For those who lose their employment, there is a stipulation where they will need to pay 2 months rent, plus any existing charges to get out of the lease. For all others (such as myself), the only way out is to pay the remaining months owed on the lease. Unfortunately, I will not be able to pay my way out of this lease.
Sucks. I guess subletting or bringing management a new tenant interested in renting your unit would be the only options, then.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
Sucks. I guess subletting or bringing management a new tenant interested in renting your unit would be the only options, then.
According to management, the complex doesn't allow subletting because prospective residents can only be vetted by the management company, not current tenants.

I don't recall having a background check conducted, but management claims that only residents who pass their credit/income requirements and criminal background check are approved for lease consideration. Anyone caught subletting will be fined and the "occupants" will have to vacate, since they will be trespassing. The actual lease holder will have to pay the remaining amount owed and all fines incurred for breaking the lease agreement.

Last edited by Claire_Springs; 10-22-2014 at 01:31 PM..

Old 10-22-2014, 04:49 PM

11,369 posts, read 9,284,230 times
I'd stick it out. If you have your heart sent on one complex let the leasing office know you are interested and to keep you updated, or call them from time to time to inquire. February is not that far away.

If it's not too personal I am a little curious why you hate living there so much. I assume you live across the street from the Grosvenor-Stratmore Metro station which seems to be a good area. You are only about 1.5 miles from one of my favorite stores - Balducci's! Close to many other good places to shop as well. I'd prefer that area over Silver Spring but everyone is different.

Old 10-22-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
I'd stick it out. If you have your heart sent on one complex let the leasing office know you are interested and to keep you updated, or call them from time to time to inquire. February is not that far away.

If it's not too personal I am a little curious why you hate living there so much. I assume you live across the street from the Grosvenor-Stratmore Metro station which seems to be a good area. You are only about 1.5 miles from one of my favorite stores - Balducci's! Close to many other good places to shop as well. I'd prefer that area over Silver Spring but everyone is different.

Don't get me wrong, this area is very nice, but in all honesty, I am looking for a more vibrant/youthful and diverse location.

I found a lovely brand new state of the art apartment complex in downtown Silver Spring. It's only two blocks from the metro and I absolutely love the 1 bedroom unit w/ a den. I can't wait to relocate!!

Last edited by Claire_Springs; 10-22-2014 at 06:22 PM..

Old 10-22-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post

Don't get me wrong, this area is very nice, but in all honesty, I am looking for a more vibrant/youthful and diverse location.

I found a lovely brand new state of the art apartment complex in Silver Spring. It's only two blocks from the metro and I absolutely love the 1 bedroom unit w/ a den. I can't wait to relocate!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland