Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2014, 09:17 AM

3 posts, read 2,494 times

Advertisements

So we currently live in Laurel, which is nicely situation between DC & Baltimore for my liking. I work in SE DC and my bf currently works all over: SE DC, Landover, but mostly out of Reston,VA. He's thinking about taking a job offer at Ft. Washington, which is below National Harbor & across the river from Accokeek. He absolutely hates commuting so he's interested in living closer to Ft. Washington. Even though I work in SE DC and the move would mean I'm closer to my work, I really don't want to move closer to DC or VA. I like having both DC & Baltimore to choose from. I don't plan on staying in my current job much longer and want to be able to choose between the two cities.

From what I can tell on a map it seems like the compromise would be to move a little farther south from where we are in Laurel. However, I don't know much about that side of PG County: Landover, LAnham, Kettering, etc. We're also not in a position to go above 300k.

For reference: We've been living across from drug addicts and have had to call the police so we're looking for something nice & quiet. I love wooded neighborhoods, something incorporated, nieghbors we can actually talk to.

I feel like I may be asking for too much.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 10:13 AM

341 posts, read 423,950 times
Tantallon is nice and quiet. You aren't but a few minutes from the bridge to get to Alex. Just take a look. You can get in just under $300. Google Lost Lake Road, Tantallon and check out that listing. Nice house, good price.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:18 AM

712 posts, read 1,092,864 times
I would recommend Bowie (north of route 50, preferably north of 450 in the R and W sections) based on your price range and neighborhood preference. Though you wouldn't be too far from your current location in Laurel, so I'm not sure if it would affect your bf's commute time much.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baghead View Post
Tantallon is nice and quiet. You aren't but a few minutes from the bridge to get to Alex. Just take a look. You can get in just under $300. Google Lost Lake Road, Tantallon and check out that listing. Nice house, good price.
Thanks. A little too close though. I'm not looking to be in Ft. Washington. I'm trying to find a middle ground between there & the Baltimore area, which would probably be where we are now in Laurel. I'm hoping if I compromise heading south or west a bit, that would make his commute better and still giev me the freedom to choose between DC & Baltimore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDatInMD View Post
I would recommend Bowie (north of route 50, preferably north of 450 in the R and W sections) based on your price range and neighborhood preference. Though you wouldn't be too far from your current location in Laurel, so I'm not sure if it would affect your bf's commute time much.
Thank you. Looks like Bowie is about the same distance.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:49 AM

Any info on Glenn Dale? Mitchellville? Lanham? Landover?

Old 10-27-2014, 06:37 PM

1,698 posts, read 1,822,590 times
I live in Lanham, near the seabrook train station. It's pretty convenient to my job in dc and my husband works in Temple Hills. At the time we bought the house I was thinking the same way as you, that I wanted access to dc and baltimore. My husband also works at different sites throughout the region. I like where I live, it's convenient and quiet. I think good places for you to look are fort washington, the largo area (is it Bowie, is it Upper Marlboro? who knows!!), Lanham south of Lanham Severn road, and Greenbelt. Glenn Dale and Mitchellville are also nice, and full of quiet, nice neighborhoods, but I think will be a longer commute. You basically just have to visit the neighborhood at all hours of the day, chat with the neighbors, look up the crime reports. This board tends to exaggerate about the negatives of these areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland