Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 08:26 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,363,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
Funding pre-school....

MSNBC Host Melissa Harris-Perry » All Your Kids Belong To Us - YouTube

Many of these individuals are saying similar things. It's not as innocent as it is being presented.
Exactly, basically it'll be another bloated government sponsored jobs programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 08:37 PM

1,259 posts, read 2,252,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Free pre-K has an invaluable return on investment. I'd be willing to pay more taxes if it meant that kids would start learning earlier which would help improve our schools. And the $700 - $1000/month savings per child wouldn't be bad either.
I agree, I think pre-k and preschool are great. I have to say my child seems to have learned a lot. It definitely would have been a big saver for a lot of parents. I'm all for staying at home, but I think once kids turn 3 and 4 they can definitely benefit from school academically and socially. I think the idea that pre-k is replacing parents is totally nuts. In my home state, pre-k is free for everyone and funded by the state lottery.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:39 PM

1,259 posts, read 2,252,714 times
Quote:
Funding pre-school....

MSNBC Host Melissa Harris-Perry » All Your Kids Belong To Us - YouTube

Many of these individuals are saying similar things. It's not as innocent as it is being presented.
This video has nothing to do with pre-school or pre-k??? I got something totally different from that video, seems like she is saying people as a community need to invest more in everyone's kid and not just their own. And she even says at the beginning we haven't invested as much in public education as we should have so it sounds like she would probably be all for publicly funded pre-k.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:51 PM

7,075 posts, read 9,518,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Exactly, basically it'll be another bloated government sponsored jobs programs.

Actually studies have shown that pre-k educated youths grow up to be better in school and as a result, less likely to need social programs later in life. So, instead of wasting money on programs that try to place bandaids on the symptoms, funding pre-k fixes the illness and saves money in the long run.

Early education programs should never be considered bloated. An educated society is a self-sufficient one that is less dependent on the government.

Last edited by adelphi_sky; 11-06-2014 at 09:01 PM..

Old 11-06-2014, 09:14 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,939,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
This video has nothing to do with pre-school or pre-k??? I got something totally different from that video, seems like she is saying people as a community need to invest more in everyone's kid and not just their own. And she even says at the beginning we haven't invested as much in public education as we should have so it sounds like she would probably be all for publicly funded pre-k.
Yes it has nothing to do with Pre-K but it deals with a broader philosophy. There are people in power who believe they should be able to teach your kids whatever they want. They want to influence your kids as young as possible. That is what I honestly believe this is all about. They are separating parents from their kids more and more by having programs like this. The better and more obvious solution would be to reduce cost as much as possible across the board so that at least parents have a choice to send their kids to Pre-K or to keep them themselves. Those days of having that option are going away.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:11 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,859,350 times
Quote:
Yes it has nothing to do with Pre-K but it deals with a broader philosophy. There are people in power who believe they should be able to teach your kids whatever they want. They want to influence your kids as young as possible. That is what I honestly believe this is all about. They are separating parents from their kids more and more by having programs like this. The better and more obvious solution would be to reduce cost as much as possible across the board so that at least parents have a choice to send their kids to Pre-K or to keep them themselves. Those days of having that option are going away.
The sooner the state can get your kid from you the easier it is to program (brainwash) them. They will spend more of their waking hours with ''educators'' than with the nuclear family, much as a working adult does. The difference here is a child's mind is developing from the ages 3-7 and absorbing everything whereas an adult can filter and process data unobjectively....some can't.

In the book, ''1984'', children were made into spies who named their own families as being against Big Brother.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:45 PM

2,178 posts, read 2,663,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
The sooner the state can get your kid from you the easier it is to program (brainwash) them. They will spend more of their waking hours with ''educators'' than with the nuclear family, much as a working adult does. The difference here is a child's mind is developing from the ages 3-7 and absorbing everything whereas an adult can filter and process data unobjectively....some can't.

In the book, ''1984'', children were made into spies who named their own families as being against Big Brother.
Phew, thank goodness I have the ability to look at things "unobjectively" and filter out this inane reference to 1984 in a conversation about freakin' preschool (honestly, could you have picked a more innocuous thing to go full bore conspiracy theorist on?).

Protip: try not to use made-up words, especially when claiming you know how best to educate children. It makes us unobjective adults think you don't know what you're talking about.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:46 PM

7,075 posts, read 9,518,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
Phew, thank goodness I have the ability to look at things "unobjectively" and filter out this inane reference to 1984 in a conversation about freakin' preschool (honestly, could you have picked a more innocuous thing to go full bore conspiracy theorist on?).

Protip: try not to use made-up words, especially when claiming you know how best to educate children. It makes us unobjective adults think you don't know what you're talking about.
Don't you know that counting to 20, reciting your ABC's, and learning to eat without wasting half of the food on the floor is the plan to take over your 4 year-old's mind?

Old 11-07-2014, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Don't you know that counting to 20, reciting your ABC's, and learning to eat without wasting half of the food on the floor is the plan to take over your 4 year-old's mind?
Obviously it depends on the school your child is in, but if you think those are the only things taught at school then you have no idea what you are talking about. Let me put it like this, your kids spend more time with their teacher than you. They are going to learn a lot about life in general.

Here is a better way of putting this would you trust me, knowing my views for the most part, with your kids or potential kids for 10 hours a day? Why or why not?

Old 11-07-2014, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post

Bingo!

That is why they are taking things like civics out of school curriculums. They are not focused on educating your kids anymore. School has become a training ground for forming the future voters. And they are once again taking advantage of the poor and honestly desperate. And guess who would pay for this more than anyone? People like bufflove and adelphi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland