U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 01:15 PM

123 posts, read 336,324 times

Advertisements

Montgomery County and Howard County are both good places to live. Both have good public school systems. There is alot of people who live in howard county and work in DC. Traffic can be annoying sometimes. Also here's a link for jewish schools in Maryland.
Jewish Schools In Maryland. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 02:46 PM

3,425 posts, read 7,942,618 times
In addition to the MARC commuter rail service, the Maryland Transit Administration also operates a couple of commuter bus routes (#915 and #929) between Columbia and Silver Spring. One of the Silver Spring stops is at the Metro Red Line/MARC Brunswick Line station, and one could transfer to the Metro (or MARC) to get into DC from there.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:44 AM

8 posts, read 27,369 times
I would just recommend that he does take the train and do not try driving. My husband worked in Silver Spring for awhile (just outside DC) and when he tried driving it was horrible. I took the bus into DC for training at Walter Reed and that worked out really well. I could get a quick nap if I needed while riding down(I was 7 months pregnant at the time so I was a bit tired).

Old 02-05-2008, 08:44 AM

478 posts, read 1,651,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfbourne View Post
I would just recommend that he does take the train and do not try driving. My husband worked in Silver Spring for awhile (just outside DC) and when he tried driving it was horrible. I took the bus into DC for training at Walter Reed and that worked out really well. I could get a quick nap if I needed while riding down(I was 7 months pregnant at the time so I was a bit tired).
My wife does the commute by car from our apartment off Gorman Rd. in N. Laurel, (basically right next to Savage) into Downtown Washington - it takes her 45 minutes in but 1h 10m home. She leaves the apartment at 6:45am and leaves her office about 4:30 - so she beats most traffic in but catches a lot coming home. We're looking to buy in either Laurel, Columbia, or perhaps over into AA County around Odenton since my job is in Baltimore County. It's doable but a bit rough - although we both know people that have it a LOT worse.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:29 AM

913 posts, read 2,831,548 times
ya definately doable. metro is not far away

Old 02-05-2008, 10:43 AM

130 posts, read 766,415 times
Hi there -

I used to take the MARC train to my job at DOJ.

Which building is his office in? I was at the Patrick Henry Bldg (6th & D) NW, and the Bicentennial bldg. was right behind it. There's also 1425 NY Ave, and of course Main Justice (PA. AVE)... and even more. Which building he is in GREATLY impacts the "doability" of this commute.

For me (I wasn't in Columbia, I am north of Catonsville) it was a 30 minute drive to the train, you wait for the train, you ride the train, and then you WAIT and WAIT for the metro (sometimes 20 minutes!!). In nice weather I'd hike it (about 6-8 city blocks.)
I won't lie to you, it SUCKED. But, it was worth it to come home to my house in the woods at night and for weekends.

From Columbia, I'm not sure what your closest MARC station is. Be sure to check that out, and what the commute just to/from the train station is.

You may want to consider Ellicott City. Still good schools, closer to BWI (if that's the station he'd need?)

I'm sure you already know, but there's a HUGE JCC in Rockville with tons and tons and tons of stuff for kids/families, and I used to live in Downtown Rockville.... it was 60 minutes door to door on the metro.

As for schools in Columbia, where/which school varies GREATLY. Do your research carefully before buying. I knew someone who lived in Columbia and ended up moving away b/c the school was so bad. They were importing kids from Balto. City, and thanks to No Child Left Behind, they had to cater to these kids who'd been in crummy schools, and they had to spend all effort bringing them up to speed, and the columbia kids suffered for it...

Best of luck to you. I know how stressful this is. We're moving to Boston.

I hope I haven't been too negative, but thought maybe you could benefit from my experience. Feel free to PM me with any other questions.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:51 PM

350 posts, read 1,490,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patapsco View Post
Hi there -

I used to take the MARC train to my job at DOJ.

Which building is his office in? I was at the Patrick Henry Bldg (6th & D) NW, and the Bicentennial bldg. was right behind it. There's also 1425 NY Ave, and of course Main Justice (PA. AVE)... and even more. Which building he is in GREATLY impacts the "doability" of this commute.

For me (I wasn't in Columbia, I am north of Catonsville) it was a 30 minute drive to the train, you wait for the train, you ride the train, and then you WAIT and WAIT for the metro (sometimes 20 minutes!!). In nice weather I'd hike it (about 6-8 city blocks.)
I won't lie to you, it SUCKED. But, it was worth it to come home to my house in the woods at night and for weekends.

From Columbia, I'm not sure what your closest MARC station is. Be sure to check that out, and what the commute just to/from the train station is.

You may want to consider Ellicott City. Still good schools, closer to BWI (if that's the station he'd need?)

I'm sure you already know, but there's a HUGE JCC in Rockville with tons and tons and tons of stuff for kids/families, and I used to live in Downtown Rockville.... it was 60 minutes door to door on the metro.

As for schools in Columbia, where/which school varies GREATLY. Do your research carefully before buying. I knew someone who lived in Columbia and ended up moving away b/c the school was so bad. They were importing kids from Balto. City, and thanks to No Child Left Behind, they had to cater to these kids who'd been in crummy schools, and they had to spend all effort bringing them up to speed, and the columbia kids suffered for it...

Best of luck to you. I know how stressful this is. We're moving to Boston.

I hope I haven't been too negative, but thought maybe you could benefit from my experience. Feel free to PM me with any other questions.
Depending on where in Columbia, Dorsey would be the best train station, it's right off Rte 100.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:28 PM

96 posts, read 400,447 times
Thanks everyone..Believe it or not, we are leaning toward VA. I still have not looked at Montgomery County (Rockville/Silver Spring/Bethesta area but...we decided VA may be good because of more job opportunities...since I will be giving up my job here in PA. I am scared to look in Rockville b/c I have a feeling I will like it and not be able to afford to live there comfortably...so, leaning toward Fairfax County...just not sure thus far. I think due to fear of a bad commute, we are not looking at Howard Co

Old 02-06-2008, 06:44 AM

3,425 posts, read 7,942,618 times
Multiple people who are friends of mine and have lived in the DC area have told me VA traffic is significantly worse than MD traffic.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:57 AM

12,556 posts, read 18,936,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
Multiple people who are friends of mine and have lived in the DC area have told me VA traffic is significantly worse than MD traffic.
I would say they are equally bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland