Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 09:07 AM

3 posts, read 14,330 times

Advertisements

My husband just got a great job in the area. The company is putting him up in Laurel and he will be moving down next month. My children and I will relocate there at the end of the school year. We are from a small town in Maine so it will be a culture shock to us but we have visited DC a few times and just love it. We would like to live in Laurel and put the kids in the Howard county school system. I understand that Laurel sits on the corners of 4 counties. What would be the best neighborhood to live in if they were to go to Howard school systems? I have an autistic son who needs a strong school system, that is why we would consider Howard. My other son is a baseball fanatic. How are the youth Baseball leagues in Laurel? Thanks for the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 05:31 AM

1,463 posts, read 6,204,035 times
Howard County, Laurel, or Annapolis is your best bet. All areas are pretty good. You sound like Columbia, Ellicot City material because of the situation with schools. Great area only problem is the cost of living but its worth it if you have kids.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:35 PM

Thanks for the input! It is appreciated!

Old 09-04-2007, 02:14 PM

2,030 posts, read 4,525,464 times
I live in Laurel and I actually like it. I, however, am on the PG County side. This is fine by me because I'm in historic Laurel close to the old main street. My 2 cents is for the baseball player in your family. The town of Laurel actually has a Little League program. Both my children have played for more than 8 years on it. My daughter is on the softball team and they finished 3rd in the State tournament. The senior boy's team went to states but were eliminated early. Its a good program. My sister is on the Board and my Brother-In-Law coaches. It is a consistent league with some of the same people involved since its inception. It also is not county-based, so you can live in Howard or wherever.

Old 10-11-2007, 04:56 PM

Default Visit to Laurel

Well, I made it down for a visit. My husband is staying at the Avondale Apts and likes it. I was a little freaked out because the traffic is so crazy busy on Rt 1. Chain restaurants EVERYWHERE. Remember--I am from Maine! I was relieved after driving only 4 or 5 miles north and seeing farm land and open fields. How beautiful! We stumbled upon Savage Mill and were very impressed. My husband is an engineer and could appreciate the bridge. Can you recommend any local restaurants--we got tired of the chains real fast! This town appears to be growing in leaps and bounds. The developments are very accomodating but expensive for townhouse living. I guess it goes with the territory. Any other recommendations for family things to do in Laurel? Where would we find other families with kids hanging out?

Old 10-12-2007, 06:49 AM

2,030 posts, read 4,525,464 times
Good non-chain restuarants:

Pasta Plus (Italian) Route 1 at 198
Pasta Nostra (Italian) Van Dusen across from the Hospital
Bottom of the Bay (Seafood) Route 1 right past Main Street
Green Turtle (Burgers and such) Laurel Lakes Shopping Center
Red, Hot and Blue (ribs, pulled pork, chicken, burgers, etc. [small chain] End of Main Street at 216
Eastern Buffet (all u can eat chinese) Intersection Route 198 and 197
C.J. Ferrari's (Italian) Route 1 across from Laurel Lakes
Captain Jerry's (seafood) Route 1 and Bowie Road
Sullivans (steaks) 198 at 197
and if you're feeling adventuresome, try Tastee Diner at Route 1 and Main Street--we usually go for breakfast. Some interesting folks hang out there but the food is suprisingly good.

There is a sports complex on Old Gunpowder road. They have an ice skating ring and indoor pool. They have classes and events--I always see alot of kids there. There are also a couple of recreation centers that have things going all the time for kids and families. Of course Laurel always has their yearly events. Main Street Festival, RiverFest, Trick or Treating on Main Street, Car Show on McColluough Field, Haunted Trail at the Pool, and Laurel Lakes has a family day.

Good luck with your move and welcome to the neighborhood!

Old 10-12-2007, 08:43 AM

969 posts, read 2,840,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeatlastrn View Post
Can you recommend any local restaurants--we got tired of the chains real fast!
Timbuktu - Hanover MD - BEST crab cakes anywhere

Timbuktu Restaurant & Lounge, Maryland :: Seafood : Steaks : Chicken : Crab Cakes

Old 10-12-2007, 11:44 AM

6 posts, read 26,555 times
Default Many Options

Living in Laurel is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. First there are plenty of places to live in Howard county and also in Laurel. I sugget the area right off of 216 in Laurel, there are some really nice newer communities back in that area. Another option would be Savage, which is a much smaller town, but has a strong sense of community.

Restuarant's are a dime a dozen in Laurel and in the surrounding areas. Some little local ones that are good are Rams Head which is in the Savage Mill. Also there is a small little mexican place in Laurel called Toucan Taco which had very good food, but it can be a little expensive. The best place to eat in Laurel hands down if you want some "comfort" food would be the Laurel BBQ house, the food and the service are both great.

As for family things to do the MNCPPC has several locations in the MD area a lot of them involving families. Hope this helped you a little

Last edited by SaraLizBeth; 10-12-2007 at 12:58 PM..

Old 10-12-2007, 01:23 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,698,339 times
Laurel is nice and has more of the small town attitude, unlike other burbs of DC. You will like to live in Howard County (Ellicott City or Columbia, MD).

Old 10-12-2007, 01:23 PM

350 posts, read 1,641,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeatlastrn View Post
Well, I made it down for a visit. My husband is staying at the Avondale Apts and likes it. I was a little freaked out because the traffic is so crazy busy on Rt 1. Chain restaurants EVERYWHERE. Remember--I am from Maine! I was relieved after driving only 4 or 5 miles north and seeing farm land and open fields. How beautiful! We stumbled upon Savage Mill and were very impressed. My husband is an engineer and could appreciate the bridge. Can you recommend any local restaurants--we got tired of the chains real fast! This town appears to be growing in leaps and bounds. The developments are very accomodating but expensive for townhouse living. I guess it goes with the territory. Any other recommendations for family things to do in Laurel? Where would we find other families with kids hanging out?
One really good local Italian restaurant is Avanti's- it's north of Laurel on Rte 1 and Guilford Rd, on the right hand side. Good priced, and never crowded.
About the schools- your kids will have to go to the school that your home is districted for- Howard County is very strict on this. When I registered my son for kindergarten this year, I had to bring the deed to my house and a current bill with address, along with my license to prove I live in the district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland