U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 10:03 AM

1,730 posts, read 1,220,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
That's not because the program is negative. It's because of home buyers who think like you do. They have a false perception of who lives in MPDU homes.
I'm not against accomodating facilities for the elderly, disabled, and those who have fallen back on hard times, I think we can all agree that programs like Section 8 should exist. But how the county is approaching this is very wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 08:11 AM

582 posts, read 919,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciBoy. View Post
Lol, sure Montgomery county doesn't have any "real" hoods, but it still doesn't change the fact that just because someone doesn't get murdered in a neighborhood once in a decade doesn't mean that there still isn't assault, arrests, robberys etc. Trust me, Ive been to some places in moco that are worse than dc lol. Im from NE too and always went to my cousins house in SE, they are worse but sorta equivalent to for example maple avenue in Takoma park. Definitely not as bad or even close to SE but still has **** going on.
Once again, I don't understand why people from MoCo like you want their neighborhoods to be "the hood". First of all, no area in Montgomery County has ever had the levels of neglect and oppression that you have in all real ghetto areas.

Does West Deer Park, Gaithersburg have environmental racism like Hunter's Point, San Francisco? Hell no. Hunter's Point is located within a stonesthrow of the most toxic waste dump in California. Hunter's Point has the highest infant mortality rate in CA because of that.

https://21stcenturyurbansolutions.wo...on-and-crisis/

Does Gaithersburg or Silver Spring have huge issues with lead paint in ancient houses like Baltimore? Hell no. Lead paint has been correlated with violent behavior in the inner city.

Baltimore’s Toxic Legacy Of Lead Paint | FiveThirtyEight

Are the so-called "projects" in Gaithersburg so run-down and neglected that raw sewage pours out of the sides of buildings and has been compared to a "slice of the third world" like Oakdale in SF? Hell no.

San Francisco Bay Guardian News

Is anywhere in MoCo a food desert where there are no supermarkets or access to fresh produce within a mile radius like West Oakland or East Baltimore? Hell no. Is the ratio between liquor stores and supermarkets as high as 50:0 like West Oakland? Hell no.

https://www.indybay.org/newsitems/20...4/18409414.php

Report: One in four Baltimore residents live in "food deserts" - Baltimore Sun

Is West Deer Park so infested with gangs, hard drugs and single mothers that the neighborhood produced prepubescent assassins like Robert Yummy Sandifer of Chicago? Hell no.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Sandifer

Is anywhere in MoCo so flooded with guns that it is cheaper to buy an AK-47 on the street because it's harder to conceal than a handgun like in Lakeview, SF? Hell no.

Bad Blood | Feature | San Francisco | San Francisco News and Events | SF Weekly

MoCo folks who call their affluent neighborhoods "the hood" are the most sheltered people out there. Logic would have never recorded that trash album if Kendrick Lamar's Good Kid M.A.A.D. City wasn't so popular with white middle class kids in affluent safe Maryland suburbia.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:42 AM

1 posts, read 677 times
Wow .. this is an excellent forum. I could be biased though, being as though I am a black and was raised in Montgomery County, MD. I can honestly say I always wanted to appear to be "authentically black" and couldn't relate to the "uppity whites" I grew up with. Let me be more specific, I am the child of Jamaican parents who emigrated to this country in the 60's (mom) & 70's (dad). While my mother is extremely pro-black, she refused to raise my sister and I in the "hood". I wondered why not an affluent black community, she says often times they're worse (uppity black folk).

I grew up in Wheaton, MD; a very diverse neighborhood, alongside section 8 kids and the kids of foreign diplomats. It's has a very high concentration of Jewish residents too, another topic.

Anywho, check out www.theurbandilemma.wordpress.com/myurdi and other posts if you want some personal, honest insight on a black youth growing up in a white suburb. Particularly MoCo MD. I have stories for days.

It has absolutely shaped everything in my life and I feel like my purpose is to get this story out to people like me and more importantly, people who helped shape this thinking if mine in/directly.

http://www.theurbandilemma.wordpress.com/theory
http://theurbandilemma.wordpress.com...amaica-jewish/

Also, I didn't see any mention of Briggs Chaney (Castle Blvd) - That is probably the most dangerous neighbor"hood" in Montgomery County in recent history. Or Pepper Tree farms out in Aspen Hill. These areas are definitely a litter rougher than the typical "MoCo" neighborhoods.

OH! And White Oak as well (down the road from Briggs Chaney). Around Stewart Ln. and the Enclave High Rises. These kids are just imitating "tough guys," they don't want to be seen as soft. I get it - but give it up!

Last edited by indigawdzilla; 02-05-2016 at 09:53 AM..

Old 02-14-2016, 12:53 AM

1 posts, read 625 times
This dude seems pretty obsessed with Logic and hating on him. We got people from there, who know people that stay there saying it's poor and has crime problems but this guy who isn't even from there keeps hating. With you posting all these stats and links and saying dumb stuff like "Logic isn't from no queensbridge or Magnolia projects" makes me think you know absolutely nothing about living the hood life or being from poverty.

If you really are from nothing and from a ruff place (like myself), and you have traveled alot and lived in multiple hoods and ghettos in multiple states and got family and friends and a large network in ghettos across the country (like myself) you wouldn't be saying all this dumb s***. So who are you to judge Logic? I really am a hood guy an I'm telling you right now every city got a ghetto, and some of the wildest ones are little small podunk towns you never heared of and this is coming from a north memphis guy. My folk are from the land and I visit often.

There are hoods in every city in America. Ive been to the worst parts of Baltimore, Memphis, Chicago, Atlanta, Miami, and lived in some of those places too and the livest hood I ever been to in my life was on the west side of a small town called Lakeland Florida. I used to kick it on the northside of Rapid City South Dakota, a town thats 2% black and they get down up there too. They got projects and all that with people stealing and robbing to get to there next meal, prostitutes and gangbangers. Needles from heroin addicts shooting up all on the sidewalk an folks living 20 deep off in cribs with no lights or heat in the winter.

So stop pulling out all these stupid ass statistics that don't mean nothing. Theres poverty everywhere. Your not getting any real credibility doing that. I've really lived that life, my whole life and ive been almost everywhere in this country. I got passes in projects you could never enter nationwide. I got hood passes in the bay too, probably at spots you live 10 minutes away from and cant even hang out at night and I'm from TN an only been out there twice so shut up with that.

This is all coming from somebody that don't even like Logic an think hes soft fake an wack. But your going out on a limb an proving you aint from no real struggle with all this bullcrap you posting up here. I know hood n***** in IOWA of all places that live in spots your probably scared to go thru at night, spots that they rob all outsiders at night if they don't know somebody. Every hoods the same and EVERY city an state got a ghetto. Even Cheyenne Wyoming or Idaho got hoods an ghettos. I never been there but I been around enough to know they got something going on out there.

Old 02-15-2016, 12:28 AM

307 posts, read 245,251 times
I lived in a public housing project in Rockville Maryland during jr. High school, we moved to Germantown Maryland during my high school years. Then I moved to south suburbs of Chicago. I never knew we lived in section 8 housing, and wouldn't have thought to even compare it to the public housing in Chicago, for example. We had a pool, working elevators, and beautiful Rock Creek Park practically in my backyard. This was nothing like the hood, not the hood in DC, which is pretty rough and IS comparable. Being section 8 means we were poor, but like I said, it wasn't all that bad.

Old 02-15-2016, 06:44 AM

72 posts, read 122,715 times
LOL, people don't know what a ghetto is, North Philly now, that's the real ghetto. Some parts of Baltimore are too. There's no real ghetto around here people, please, you don't want to live or raise your kids in the ghetto. Don't ask me how I know....

Old 02-15-2016, 01:14 PM

1,141 posts, read 480,412 times
theres no ghetto here (mabie anacostia) but there are some hoods in MD. Gaithersburg or anywhere in moco is not at all. PG has some hoods (langley, landover, suitland, cap heights, etc.) then theres Bmore, which has the ghettos. Iím from the hood to and can tell u i canít stand wannabes gís or anybody saying somethings ghetto wen it not. its not a word to be tossing arnd you know. this post is old and really a joke for real.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:09 PM

4 posts, read 2,080 times
Clearly some on here dont really know much history of montgomery county...the county itself used to have its pockets of violence and rundown neighborhoods but not much really anymore...emory grove village in gaithersburg back in the 80s and 90s was horrible (HOC is currently reconstructing this complex and will do so with camp hill which is next door washington square down the street which just started renting again and towne crest apartments....the original lincoln park before reconstruction was horrible....scotland on seven locks road and i can go on...theres a few other neighborhoods....moco does a great way keeping its schools diverse by implementing progams and shipping kids from 1 area to another to meet diversity needs (ex. Kids in laytonsville going to Gaithersburg or kids from emory grove area that go to magruder) ..as for logic i know for a fact that he wasnt a thug or a gangbanger but i do know life growing up wasnt great for the kid.....west deer park isnt compton but it isnt bethesda md either..i have a friend who went to gaithersburg high with him....they call him dirty sweatpants Bobby cuz he wore the same sweats to school everyday

Old 02-18-2016, 02:13 PM

4 posts, read 2,080 times
https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...-db89b1b039ba/

just some past history of the 124/emory grove area of Gaithersburg.....and no one is glorifying anything but to say because I grew up in mont co that I never experienced crime or hardship. You sound real ignorant. Have a nice day

if anyone could fix the link that would be great

an old article for anyone interested

Last edited by CherryhillRob; 02-18-2016 at 02:28 PM..

Old 03-03-2016, 08:49 AM

2,076 posts, read 5,282,997 times
Logic has always said he didn't grow up in Crenshaw or Compton. He's not a gangster rapper, so leave it alone.

He talks about how he's not gangster at all... all the time. Music is music people, hop off please.

Ironically - I'm not sure why people always bring up "Compton". Baltimore and Washington DC are more dangerous than Compton. Oh and Gaithersburg and stuff still does have shootings. For such a high median income, it's crime is stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland