U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-22-2014, 02:24 PM
 
116 posts, read 82,602 times
Reputation: 87

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfrom73 View Post
I really don't know anything about the rapper logic and I'm not co signing anything he stands for but I think you're fooling yourself if you think Montgomery county has or never had any real hoods. I've been in the Lincoln Park projects before they were changed to town houses and trust me, they were as gutter as any other
hood projects. I've been in the Emory Grove apartments and it's not like being in Barry Farms( been there too ) but it' s not Bethesda either. I've heard stories about a place in Gaithersburg called Stewardtown before that was renovated and from what I heard , it was pretty rough. I'm not talking about teenagers trying to boost street cred either, I'm talking about grown , even old folks. One lady probably in her 50's told me about this little area in Rockville kinda behind were the post office and free state gas station is, was so bad, the police wouldn't even go there...people shooting, fighting, dice games etc..this was in the 70's / 80's...I know ghetto when I come across and I've meet some ghetto ass people from Stewartown, Emery Grove etc... All I'm saying is most places in America have hoods and again, I don't know anything about that dude Logic, but you should learn more history of a place before you really say you know it..
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
This guy really has no clue where he is. I remember in high school going to house parties and you only played straight GoGo. If a party played hiphop, you were a straight bamma. I remember riding around the city, you didn't blast hiphop from your car or people would go on you. This really was a different place! I think things have changed a lot in the last 8 years though, DC has accepted the rest of the nation for the first time I can remember. I remember when you would be a bamma for wearing fashion brands outside of the local DC designers like Madness, City Life, HOBO, Shooters, and WeR1 etc. etc. If this guy had seen what we mean by we didn't accept the rest of the nation, he would know why there was no hip hop scene here. You were a bamma if you tried to be a rapper. Only the lead talkers of the Gogo bands which is basically a rapper got any love in DC. You can't develop of scene that isn't popular.
Come on man ! People were rockin pencil pocket Guess jeans with Madness shirts, all types of Polo, Eddie Bauer/ Woolrich, Addidas, Fila, Nike, Starter jackets the varsity and the coats, Sergio Tachini, Gucci sneakers...None of that stuff was bama gear....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-22-2014, 06:00 PM
 
9,583 posts, read 10,915,282 times
Reputation: 2109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfrom73 View Post
Come on man ! People were rockin pencil pocket Guess jeans with Madness shirts, all types of Polo, Eddie Bauer/ Woolrich, Addidas, Fila, Nike, Starter jackets the varsity and the coats, Sergio Tachini, Gucci sneakers...None of that stuff was bama gear....

When I say gear, I'm talking about shirts. Jeans are jeans and coats are coats. The D.C. uniform was mainly shirts, sweat shirts, and sweat pants. Obviously jeans, coats, and shoes were main stream. Urbanwear actually was started in D.C. We didn't wear Phat Farm, but Russell Simmons got his idea of urban wear from the D.C. local brands. We were doing it before everyone. He is on record admitting it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2014, 06:06 PM
 
9,583 posts, read 10,915,282 times
Reputation: 2109
Proof is in the pudding:

THE GO-GO RAPPERS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2014, 12:46 PM
 
692 posts, read 788,340 times
Reputation: 1906
Quote:
One lady probably in her 50's told me about this little area in Rockville kinda behind were the post office and free state gas station is, was so bad, the police wouldn't even go there...people shooting, fighting, dice games etc..this was in the 70's / 80's
That would now be Rockville Town Center where a Studio apartment will run you a grand a month, there is an iceskating rink, an organic foodstore, about 20 sit down restaurants, a Gold's gym an arts studio center and a new library.

Logic comes across more like a bitter kid who either flunked out or was kicked out of Gaithersburg high school (there are a few of those aimless kids running around), worshipped at the altar of Nino Brown and is now whining cuz he didn't live on the quiet tree lined SFH section West Deer Park Rd. Yeah, that's real hood there:
219 West Deer Park Road, Gaithersburg MD - Trulia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2014, 03:59 PM
 
82 posts, read 93,571 times
Reputation: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubina View Post
That would now be Rockville Town Center where a Studio apartment will run you a grand a month, there is an iceskating rink, an organic foodstore, about 20 sit down restaurants, a Gold's gym an arts studio center and a new library.

Logic comes across more like a bitter kid who either flunked out or was kicked out of Gaithersburg high school (there are a few of those aimless kids running around), worshipped at the altar of Nino Brown and is now whining cuz he didn't live on the quiet tree lined SFH section West Deer Park Rd. Yeah, that's real hood there:
219 West Deer Park Road, Gaithersburg MD - Trulia

I lived in a skanky apartment near Lakeforest Mall in Gaithersburg back in the early 1990s. The whole neighborhood was shady and got increasingly so while I was there, to the point that I moved out as soon as I was able to. There was constant drug dealing in the complex and the one next to it, as well as frequent assaults and a couple of murders while I was there. The weekend I moved out there were a bunch of drunk guys sitting in the parking lot drinking and shooting guns in the air. There is still the occasional murder in those apartments but it's nowhere near as bad as it was back then.

IMO, it's wrong to completely dismiss the problems that still exist in some bits of Gaithersburg because it isn't as bad as the worst ghetto out there, but at the same time it's wrong to exaggerate the situation now and make out like Gaithersburg is some sort of horrifying crime zone. It's undeniable that there are still shady patches in Gaithersburg but the whole area is gentrifying so rapidly that I think even these patches will get pushed out in the next couple of years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2014, 05:49 AM
 
39 posts, read 74,463 times
Reputation: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapmd View Post
All rap music is culturally inferior garbage so why are we giving this attention and acknowledgement?
You guys make this too easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2014, 09:38 AM
 
Location: Prince George's County, Maryland
6,212 posts, read 7,031,756 times
Reputation: 2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky93 View Post
You guys make this too easy.
Rep points for you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2014, 10:56 PM
 
116 posts, read 82,602 times
Reputation: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clea6243 View Post
I lived in a skanky apartment near Lakeforest Mall in Gaithersburg back in the early 1990s. The whole neighborhood was shady and got increasingly so while I was there, to the point that I moved out as soon as I was able to. There was constant drug dealing in the complex and the one next to it, as well as frequent assaults and a couple of murders while I was there. The weekend I moved out there were a bunch of drunk guys sitting in the parking lot drinking and shooting guns in the air. There is still the occasional murder in those apartments but it's nowhere near as bad as it was back then.

IMO, it's wrong to completely dismiss the problems that still exist in some bits of Gaithersburg because it isn't as bad as the worst ghetto out there, but at the same time it's wrong to exaggerate the situation now and make out like Gaithersburg is some sort of horrifying crime zone. It's undeniable that there are still shady patches in Gaithersburg but the whole area is gentrifying so rapidly that I think even these patches will get pushed out in the next couple of years.
My friend/ex girlfriend used to be married to a dude that was a career criminal and he did most of his work in mo county. She told me about a shooting in broad day over some drug money that her daughter witnessed. This was in the 90's though. Another ex girlfriend was from Gaithersburg but when I met her she was staying with her grandmother on Minnesota ave. southeast side.
At the time , I knew nothing about Gaithersburg and sometimes I would tease her. I asked her how was it going to Gaithersburg high school and she told me it was ghetto as hell. That was hard to believe but after I started working at shady grove met my kids mother who lived in Germantown , I started spending more time out there, going to Plums barbershop and I realized there were a lot of black folks and working class or poor white people. One thing I can vouch on is they will fight you quick out there. It's more street cred for them if you are from D.C. or PG and they happen to whup that ass.lol.....it's definitely not a danger zone but me being a real dude, I gotta give respect to dudes that will throw hands like a man instead of always reachin for guns.. My kids live in Germantown so I'm always going ip there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2014, 07:09 AM
 
584 posts, read 1,076,501 times
Reputation: 1355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clea6243 View Post
I lived in a skanky apartment near Lakeforest Mall in Gaithersburg back in the early 1990s. The whole neighborhood was shady and got increasingly so while I was there, to the point that I moved out as soon as I was able to. There was constant drug dealing in the complex and the one next to it, as well as frequent assaults and a couple of murders while I was there. The weekend I moved out there were a bunch of drunk guys sitting in the parking lot drinking and shooting guns in the air. There is still the occasional murder in those apartments but it's nowhere near as bad as it was back then.

IMO, it's wrong to completely dismiss the problems that still exist in some bits of Gaithersburg because it isn't as bad as the worst ghetto out there, but at the same time it's wrong to exaggerate the situation now and make out like Gaithersburg is some sort of horrifying crime zone. It's undeniable that there are still shady patches in Gaithersburg but the whole area is gentrifying so rapidly that I think even these patches will get pushed out in the next couple of years.
Gaithersburg is just like where I live in Columbia. Stop sugarcoating the bullsh!t. And this "worst ghetto out there" line doesn't make sense. The hood is the hood everywhere you go and the suburbs are the suburbs. Where I live in Columbia had a couple shooting just this weekend. But it's still a safe soft suburb where rich white people and their culture are the normative standard.

Police identify man shot in Columbia apartment on Thanksgiving - Baltimore Sun

But Montgomery County is shockingly white in culture and demographics in most parts of the county. Most of Montgomery County is so white that the very few minorities I know from MoCo outside of Silver Spring and Wheaton were adopted by white parents when they were only a few months old. And these are self-hating racial minorities raised by rich white people who try to outwhite the whitest of rich white MoCo kids by getting more whiteboy wasted than them for their entire teens and 20's. African immigrants and their children easily outnumber native black people in most parts of MoCo. Section 8 in MoCo is laughable. I have never seen a crime ridden rundown Section 8 area in MoCo. Some of the nicest highrise apartment allow a few "Section 8" applicants in Bethesda, but it ain't Queensbridge, Magnolia in the N.O., Jordan Downs in Watts or Sunnydale in SF. There is nothing hood about MoCo, just stop it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2014, 06:07 PM
 
203 posts, read 151,168 times
Reputation: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post
24 year old Gaithersburg, MD born and raised rapper Logic has the second best selling Rap album in the country with his Def Jam records debut album Under Pressure. On his debut album, Logic focuses on his upbringing as a biracial half black-half white child who looks wholly caucasian growing up with a drug addicted father and drug dealing older brothers in "Section 8" housing in Gaithersburg...Logic makes them feel closer to the "struggle" because he looks as white as someone from Leave it to Beaver and he talks about "Section 8" townhouses in a quiet relatively safe suburban neighborhood in affluent Montgomery County as if its the same as the worst blocks of Deep East Oakland. Logic is almost as bad as Macklemore in my opinion. I know PG County posters will agree with my assessment, but I am afraid some Montgomery County residents will try to insinuate that Gaithersburg is somehow really "the hood" like this clown Logic is implying. Please drive and walk through West Baltimore everyday for months and get back to me.
This is not authentic rap. In truth, I abstain from whatever the masses of white bread consumers seek out...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top