Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 03:19 PM

692 posts, read 1,004,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Londonderry Towers in Londonderry apartments at the end of West Deer Park
Interesting. Passed Londonderry Apartments dozens of times and never saw the tower. That's a grainy photo because it looks like this rather than a Walking Dead set:

Quote:
i'm sure that the people *buying/stealing* his music are 11 yr old kids that are impressed with someone who can rhyme words with the same words 3-4 times in a verse
You win!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 05:36 PM

587 posts, read 1,410,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
The first picture is Londonderry Towers in Londonderry apartments at the end of West Deer Park. Also, yes you're right, Gaithersburg has been gentrifying for over 10 years now. It's nothing like it was in the early 2000s and 1990s.
Gentrifying? Gaithersburg never had any real ghetto areas. Gaithersburg is as stereotypically safe and suburban as it gets. Some of you MoCo folks keep showing how sheltered you are. The only people who think Gaithersburg is "ghetto" are the most sheltered of richest of rich white people in Bethesda, Potomac, Kensington and Chevy Chase. DC/PG folks know what the hood really looks like. The migration pattern from DC to MoCo is that people fled violent murder capital era 80's/early 90's DC for greener pastures in immediately bordering Silver Spring and those people left for something even better in Gaithersburg around the mid 90's. All of my friends who were born in DC and ended up in Gaithersburg followed this pattern at some time during the 90's and they always make a point to say that everywhere they moved in succession was a step up in overall quality of life.

If anything, Gaithersburg's crime rate was a smidgen closer to the national average back in the 90's. But even that is a stretch. Montgomery County has always been accurately viewed at as a pristine Biblical promised land to the downtrodden residents of inner city DC and PG County who really have to deal with harsh realities of rampant omnipresent drug and gang violence that this dorky rapper Logic clumsily rhymes about. Serious societal problems which do NOT exist on a real level on his side of the beltway.

Nowhere in Montgomery County can be considered ghetto, nowhere. In 2012, the entirety of Montgomery County had 14 murders. Montgomery County has about a million people, mind you. Also, the main fact is that the vast majority of those MoCo murders were domestic disputes and not "gang related" like Logic would like you to believe.

2012 Montgomery County Homicide Map - Connected Communities Newswire

Compare that to my old neighborhood of Oceanview a.k.a. Lakeview in San Francisco which had 9 homicides and countless shootings in 2012 in a community of only about 6,000 people. To put things in perspective, the notorious California city of Compton had 21 murders in 2012 and Compton is about 100K people. So it is no lie to say Lakeview in SF was getting active in 2012. Nowhere in G-burg ever had a local murder rate anywhere even near the rate of Lakeview, SF in 2012, not even in the 90's. The fact is that West Deer Park or anywhere in sweet a$$ soft a$$ G-burg or Montgomery County, as a whole, is lightyears better than any real inner city area. The police refused to reopen a police substation off of the main Broad Street corridor in Lakeview in SF unless the whole thing was encased in bulletproof glass.

San Francisco Bay View » OMI neighbors, Inner City Youth call for reopening 103 Broad St.

Last edited by LunaticVillage; 11-20-2014 at 06:31 PM..

Old 11-20-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Who said Gaithersburg was hood? I said crime happens there. Also, I'm not from Maryland. I worked there. I live in the city. Also, since we are on the subject, nobody from L.A. should be talking about crime. D.C. was the murder capital for over a decade. You don't know what killing is over in L.A. compared to D.C. and the crime that happened here. We had over 500 crews throughout the city and its only 61 sq. miles. When a city of 500,000 kills 481 people, you have reached epic levels of violence.

As for current violence, these little thundercats across the U.S. are pathetic compared to the boys running the streets in the 1990s. Everyone is soft now compared to then so who cares?
I'm from the Bay and the hood is the same in every city, genius. You are also showing you've never spent any real time anywhere else through your blatant ignorance. It just so happened that DC was around 70-80% black and ghetto in the 80's and early 90's. Most California cities are not ghetto as a whole, but judging entire mid sized to large cities by their overall murder rate is what white people from the suburbs do who never even lived in the city or people who have never spent any real time anywhere else. You have people in the Bay who lived there their whole life who will insist Hunter's Point in SF and Oakland are by far "worse" than anywhere else which is also not true. Every hood in every state has the same issues. And if you want to talk about Bay Area "murder capital" status cities, the small Bay Area city of East Palo Alto ranked as the murder capital in 1992 with 42 homicides in a city of 24K.

E. Palo Alto Murder Rate Worst in U.S.; Drug Wars Blamed - Los Angeles Times

Where I'm from in the Oceanview district of SF had a similar murder rate of 200+ per 100K. It evens out to be about equal with the worst areas of murder capital era DC. That's why people study the murder rate of areas, not the murder count. Like DC, most of SF's murders have been black-on-black, but SF's black population was only around 13% of 800K back then. But living in Oceanview in SF in the early 90's was no different than living in Trinidad in NE DC from a statistical standpoint. The violence there was no different because they weren't spraying people with Napalm or strapping bombs to babies or bombing project buildings in DC like your sensationalist writing would imply. People living in the hood aren't thinking about how bad it is where they live in comparison to the rest of the city unless it entails beef with the other side or having to travel to another hood in the city. That's what ignorant people on City-Data do. It's not I live in SF, it's I live in the hood. It's not I live in NY, it's I live in the hood. It's not I live in murder capital DC, it's I live in the hood because DC has always had its share of wealthy areas. Unless you were living as multiple people in NW, NE, SW and SE DC experiencing all this tremendous DC carnage simultaneously at once, your boasts of violence in DC sound very childish. So please, never try to bring that up that I know nothing about the garbage ignorance you were insinuating . I grew up with the bullets coming trough my window spending most of my childhood in that small ten block radius.

OCEAN VIEW / Neighborhood reclaims its mean streets - SFGate

It's pretty stupid to think California's violent crime somehow pales in comparison to back East when Gangsta Rap, MS-13, 18th Street, Bloods and Crips all originated in California. The Bloods and Crips couldn't set up shop in San Francisco or Oakland and got ran out and murdered. MS-13 has a strong foothold in the DC Area with all of them wearing blue L.A. Dodgers hats and sewing their violence across the metro area every year. Everybody from New York to Atlanta claims to be Blood or Crip and makes unoriginal music with the same themes since early 90's California Gangsta Rap. So a suburban clown from Gaithersburg doing Gangsta Rap in the plagiarized style of Compton's Kendrick Lamar is just comedy. And this is a suburbia vs ghetto discussion, not a which big city was worse as a whole in the 90's from a dumbed down generalized outsider's standpoint discussion which is always stupid.

Last edited by LunaticVillage; 11-20-2014 at 07:33 PM..

Old 11-20-2014, 06:55 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post
Gentrifying? Gaithersburg never had any real ghetto areas. Gaithersburg is as stereotypically safe and suburban as it gets. Some of you MoCo folks keep showing how sheltered you are. The only people who think Gaithersburg is "ghetto" are the most sheltered of richest of rich white people in Bethesda, Potomac, Kensington and Chevy Chase. DC/PG folks know what the hood really looks like. The migration pattern from DC to MoCo is that people fled violent murder capital era 80's/early 90's DC for greener pastures in immediately bordering Silver Spring and those people left for something even better in Gaithersburg around the mid 90's. All of my friends who were born in DC and ended up in Gaithersburg followed this pattern at some time during the 90's and they always make a point to say that everywhere they moved in succession was a step up in overall quality of life.

If anything, Gaithersburg's crime rate was a smidgen closer to the national average back in the 90's. But even that is a stretch. Montgomery County has always been accurately viewed at as a pristine Biblical promised land to the downtrodden residents of inner city DC and PG County who really have to deal with harsh realities of rampant omnipresent drug and gang violence that this dorky rapper Logic clumsily rhymes about. Serious societal problems which do NOT exist on a real level on his side of the beltway.

Nowhere in Montgomery County can be considered ghetto, nowhere. In 2012, the entirety of Montgomery County had 14 murders. Montgomery County has about a million people, mind you. Also, the main fact is that the vast majority of those MoCo murders were domestic disputes and not "gang related" like Logic would like you to believe.

2012 Montgomery County Homicide Map - Connected Communities Newswire

Compare that to my old neighborhood of Oceanview a.k.a. Lakeview in San Francisco which had 9 homicides and countless shootings in 2012 in a community of only about 6,000 people. To put things in perspective, the notorious California city of Compton had 21 murders in 2012 and Compton is about 100K people. So it is no lie to say Lakeview in SF was getting active in 2012. Nowhere in G-burg ever had a local murder rate anywhere even near the rate of Lakeview, SF in 2012, not even in the 90's. The fact is that West Deer Park or anywhere in sweet a$$ soft a$$ G-burg or Montgomery County, as a whole, is lightyears better than any real inner city area. The police refused to reopen a police substation off of the main Broad Street corridor in Lakeview in SF unless the whole thing was encased in bulletproof glass.

San Francisco Bay View » OMI neighbors, Inner City Youth call for reopening 103 Broad St.
My....my...my there is so much fail in this post. I'll educate you because I know you may be ignorant in this topic.

Gentrification is the process of people of a higher socioeconomic level moving into a neighborhood displacing the current residents that live there. That means when upper class people move into a middle class neighborhood and push prices out of reach for the middle class, their neighborhood has been gentrified. Gentrification has nothing to do with lower income people. Gentrification has to do with upward pressure on a market raising prices to such a level that it makes those homes unattainable for the current residents living there that are members of a lower socioeconomic level.

Secondly, the housing stock in Gaithersburg is turning over as the city urbanized. Gaithersburg is actually becoming one of the most urban cities in Maryland with multiple urbanist communities built and others planned for. Kentlands (not to be confused with Kentlands "the zoo" in PG which you probably don't know anything about) is an award winning community and has been studied by urban planners nationwide. I don't know where this ignorant glamorizations of the hood you are portraying is coming from, but it's not fun being broke and struggling. Maybe you aspire to stay that way, but most people including those in the hood are trying to get out, not stay.

I'm from DC and you have now showed your lack of reading comprehension skills twice. You talk a lot, what neighborhood in the city did you grow up in? And if you are a bamma from the west coast, I don't even know why you would be coming on here trying to go on people because nobody from DC respects the west coast in the first place.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:02 PM

Quote:
I'm from the Bay and the hood is the same in every city, genius. You are also showing you've never spent any real time anywhere else through your blatant ignorance. It just so happened that DC was around 70-80% black and ghetto in the 80's and early 90's. Most California cities are not ghetto as a whole, but judging entire mid sized to large cities by their overall murder rate is what white people from the suburbs do who never even lived in the city or people who have never spent any real time anywhere else. You have people in the Bay who lived there their whole life who will insist Hunter's Point in SF and Oakland are by far "worse" than anywhere else which is also not true. Every hood in every state has the same issues. And if you want to talk about Bay Area "murder capital" status cities, the small Bay Area city of East Palo Alto ranked as the murder capital in 1992 with 42 homicides in a city of 24K.

E. Palo Alto Murder Rate Worst in U.S.; Drug Wars Blamed - Los Angeles Times

Where I'm from in the Oceanview district of SF had a similar murder rate of 200+ per 100K. So please, never bring that up that I know nothing about the garbage ignorance you were insinuating . I grew up with the bullets coming trough my window.

OCEAN VIEW / Neighborhood reclaims its mean streets - SFGate

It's pretty stupid to think California's violent crime somehow pales in comparison to back East when Gangsta Rap and Bloods and Crips originated in California. The Bloods and Crips couldn't set up shop in San Francisco or Oakland and got ran out and murdered. Everybody from New York to Atlanta claims to be Blood or Crip and makes unoriginal music with the same themes since early 90's California Gangsta Rap.
Nobody in DC cares anything about gangs. We rep crews here. Take your bamma %#+ back to the Bay or whatever you call it. I feel like you have to have a minimum amount of black people to even call your city hood lol....get the £#^{ out of here....lol

You west coast bammas don't want anything to do with the farms, Sursum Cordas "da border", whaler place, Third World, Simple City, Choppa City, or Lynch Mob.

And news flash guy, GoGo runs DC and always will so stop bringing up bamma %#+ gangsta rap here. GoGo runs this city!

Last edited by MDAllstar; 11-20-2014 at 07:11 PM..

Old 11-21-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
My....my...my there is so much fail in this post. I'll educate you because I know you may be ignorant in this topic.

Gentrification is the process of people of a higher socioeconomic level moving into a neighborhood displacing the current residents that live there. That means when upper class people move into a middle class neighborhood and push prices out of reach for the middle class, their neighborhood has been gentrified. Gentrification has nothing to do with lower income people. Gentrification has to do with upward pressure on a market raising prices to such a level that it makes those homes unattainable for the current residents living there that are members of a lower socioeconomic level.

Secondly, the housing stock in Gaithersburg is turning over as the city urbanized. Gaithersburg is actually becoming one of the most urban cities in Maryland with multiple urbanist communities built and others planned for. Kentlands (not to be confused with Kentlands "the zoo" in PG which you probably don't know anything about) is an award winning community and has been studied by urban planners nationwide. I don't know where this ignorant glamorizations of the hood you are portraying is coming from, but it's not fun being broke and struggling. Maybe you aspire to stay that way, but most people including those in the hood are trying to get out, not stay.

I'm from DC and you have now showed your lack of reading comprehension skills twice. You talk a lot, what neighborhood in the city did you grow up in? And if you are a bamma from the west coast, I don't even know why you would be coming on here trying to go on people because nobody from DC respects the west coast in the first place.
According to your "logic", no pun intended, DC is the hardest city on the planet and no other city deserves to make Rap music. But a high murder rate in the early 90's is all DC has to be proud of because DC produced next to ZERO classic Hip Hop music in the 90's. DC has NO classic Hip Hop other than Nonchalant's "5 O'clock" and that is a fact. Section 8 Mob was DC dudes doing their best Cali Gangsta Rap rendition and not notable at all. DC's contribution to Hip Hop is a joke seeing as most of the city was the hood in the 90's. If Cali is so soft, then why did Cali produce the entire subgenre of Gangsta Rap? Just because DC had 500 murders in a city of 500K, no city in America needs to produce rap in your opinion. Compton also had 100 murders per 100K in the early 90's, dumba$$. Everybody from Iowa to DC was listening to Cali Gangsta Rap in the 90's. WPGC was playing Snoop, Dr. Dre and Warren G in 94' but Cali radio stations wasn't playing Go-Go in 94'. I bet you own a copy of The Chronic or Doggystyle. You are the real clown in this discussion. DC never had a real Rap scene, period. Nobody even listens to DC Go-Go south of Waldorf. My homie from the hood in Richmond, VA told me that out there nobody listens to Go-Go. The underground Rap scene in the Bay Area has always had a huge following up and down the West Coast, Down South and in the Midwest. Bay Area's Rap scene gave birth to New Orleans Rap scene on a mainstream level when Master P went from Richmond, CA back to New Orleans. The whole Houston scene is indebt to Too $hort. To this day, the one of the biggest Hip Hop producers of DJ Mustard owes his entire production style to the Bay Area:

http://thedmonline.com/how-much-mustard-is-too-much/

Nobody f%cks with DC music outside of the DMV.

And the black population in the Bay Area doesn't rep gangs either. There are no Bloods or Crips in the Bay Area. But BET would never tell you that. You keep showing that you are a local yokel who has never been anywhere . As far as DC not respecting the West Coast, the tiny laughable Rap scene in DC in the 90's heavily jocked the West Coast. Chinx from PG in the 90's wished he was from Cali :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJKyiBt5i7w

I already shouted out my hood many times in this thread if you can read. Anybody from the DMV knows that MoCo and NoVa is the safe, soft, thoroughly wack whitewashed side of the beltway. Logic is on the same level as Peter Rosenburg from Chevy Chase, but so much worse.

Gaitherburg is not hood by any means, and there is nothing wrong with that. Why do people from the suburbs look for the hood in where they live? Give it up, Logic is fake.

Last edited by LunaticVillage; 11-21-2014 at 07:20 PM..

Old 11-21-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
According to your "logic", no pun intended, DC is the hardest city on the planet and no other city deserves to make Rap music. But a high murder rate in the early 90's is all DC has to be proud of because DC produced next to ZERO classic Hip Hop music in the 90's. DC has NO classic Hip Hop other than Nonchalant's "5 O'clock" and that is a fact. Section 8 Mob was DC dudes doing their best Cali Gangsta Rap rendition and not notable at all. DC's contribution to Hip Hop is a joke seeing as most of the city was the hood in the 90's. If Cali is so soft, then why did Cali produce the entire subgenre of Gangsta Rap? Just because DC had 500 murders in a city of 500K, no city in America needs to produce rap in your opinion. Compton also had 100 murders per 100K in the early 90's, dumba$$. Everybody from Iowa to DC was listening to Cali Gangsta Rap in the 90's. WPGC was playing Snoop, Dr. Dre and Warren G in 94' but Cali radio stations wasn't playing Go-Go in 94'. I bet you own a copy of The Chronic or Doggystyle. You are the real clown in this discussion. DC never had a real Rap scene, period. Nobody even listens to DC Go-Go south of Waldorf. My homie from the hood in Richmond, VA told me that out there nobody listens to Go-Go. The underground Rap scene in the Bay Area has always had a huge following up and down the West Coast, Down South and in the Midwest. Bay Area's Rap scene gave birth to New Orleans Rap scene on a mainstream level when Master P went from Richmond, CA back to New Orleans. The whole Houston scene is indebt to Too $hort. To this day, the one of the biggest Hip Hop producers of DJ Mustard owes his entire production style to the Bay Area:

How much Mustard is too much? - The Daily Mississippian

Nobody f%cks with DC music outside of the DMV.

And the black population in the Bay Area doesn't rep gangs either. There are no Bloods or Crips in the Bay Area. But BET would never tell you that. You keep showing that you are a local yokel who has never been anywhere . As far as DC not respecting the West Coast, the tiny laughable Rap scene in DC in the 90's heavily jocked the West Coast. Chinx from PG in the 90's wished he was from Cali :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJKyiBt5i7w

I already shouted out my hood many times in this thread if you can read. Anybody from the DMV knows that MoCo and NoVa is the safe, soft, thoroughly wack whitewashed side of the beltway. Logic is on the same level as Peter Rosenburg from Chevy Chase, but so much worse.

Gaitherburg is not hood by any means, and there is nothing wrong with that. Why do people from the suburbs look for the hood in where they live? Give it up, Logic is fake.

The fact that you are saying DC has no rap scene like we wanted one is the part that seems to have gone over your head. We like GoGo more than rap and we don't want anybody listening to it. If everyone listened to GoGo, it wouldn't be ours. You are clearly clueless. People in DC don't get along with people who aren't from here nor do we care to. Basically, if you aren't from DC in our eyes, you're a bamma. If you didn't know that already, you don't know much about the DC mentality.

People in DC don't respect any city except our own. How long have you been here? You didn't know that?

Old 11-21-2014, 09:22 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times
Quote:
The fact that you are saying DC has no rap scene like we wanted one is the part that seems to have gone over your head. We like GoGo more than rap and we don't want anybody listening to it. If everyone listened to GoGo, it wouldn't be ours. You are clearly clueless. People in DC don't get along with people who aren't from here nor do we care to. Basically, if you aren't from DC in our eyes, you're a bamma. If you didn't know that already, you don't know much about the DC mentality.

People in DC don't respect any city except our own. How long have you been here? You didn't know that?
+2 This is true. The culture here is very hostile to swagger-jacking or biting.

And also, Let Me Clear My Throat by DJ Kool is another Hip Hop classic from the DMV as well. One has to be either oblivious or a total mook to think DC or the DMV region in general doesn't have its Hip Hop scene. Trust and believe it does, it's just that it takes a backseat to GoGo (though that seems to be changing a bit lately). Some of my favorite local Hip Hop artists are Phil Ade, Lyriciss, RAtheMC, Lightshow, Wale, Pro'Verb, Black Cobain, Oddisee, etc. And plus, GoGo has been incorporated in some of the most popular and iconic songs of the past decade, and even a couple of well known Hip Hop tracks back in the '80s. Other than R&B, Soul, Gospel, Punk, Classical, and Jazz, the overall music culture here in the DMV has been and still kinda is on the underground side of things. Plus, DC did introduce the world to Quiet Storm (has influenced the sounds of many R&B/Soul/AC artists and songs and Moombahton (major worldwide following in the underground House scenes). Gotta keep telling people on C-D not to sleep on the music scene out here in the DMV. No it's not New York or LA or whatever, but it's still it's own distinct special "something" and most of us here in the area are okay with that and take great pride in it. In closing, accents, fashion, slang, state of mind, and music, we have our own sh1t. So stop wellin.

*drops the mic.

P.S. That second paragraph wasn't directed at you MD lol.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:47 AM

116 posts, read 114,370 times
Quote:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees through Logic's bullsh%t:

Logic's album is what I would expect from a Montgomery County, MD rapper to be honest. There is no real Hip Hop culture in MoCo. MoCo is one of the most whitewashed places I have ever been in my life. Even black kids into Hip Hop from MoCo are thoroughly whitewashed. The DC Area is one of the most segregated metro areas in the nation hands down. NE, SE DC and PG County is the black side of the DMV and DC west of about 14th Street, Montgomery County and Northern Virginia represent the white side of the beltway. White is right in Montgomery County. You can even see it in the way Logic talks and the way his hair is cut that he was raised in a place that was incredibly white culturally speaking. The only Hip Hop exposure in Montgomery County is through the mainstream media. Hence, this is why Logic sounds like a carbon copy of Kendrick Lamar with some Drake and J. Cole mixed in.

I'm from the Bay Area which has had an active independent Rap scene since Too $hort first hit the scene in 1983. Because of this, the Bay Area has developed its own unique sound over the past thirty years. Mind blowing original independent Hip Hop that makes Logic sound like crap is produced everyday in the Bay Area. In my opinion, Montgomery County has no business making Rap music. Wale, also raised in Gaithersburg, was an exception because he partly grew up in DC and spent much time in DC peddling his music and absorbing the culture enough to bring authentic DC culture to the mainstream. For example, Wale's hit song "Pretty Girls" appropriates instrumental elements of DC Go-Go, DCs main musical street genre. Wale is allowed to occasionally rap and talk about his impoverished childhood in Northwest DC because it really was that bad in early 90's murder capital era DC. Logic is just a clown from generic whitebred Gaithersburg suburbia desperately trying to be down in comparison.
I really don't know anything about the rapper logic and I'm not co signing anything he stands for but I think you're fooling yourself if you think Montgomery county has or never had any real hoods. I've been in the Lincoln Park projects before they were changed to town houses and trust me, they were as gutter as any other
hood projects. I've been in the Emory Grove apartments and it's not like being in Barry Farms( been there too ) but it' s not Bethesda either. I've heard stories about a place in Gaithersburg called Stewardtown before that was renovated and from what I heard , it was pretty rough. I'm not talking about teenagers trying to boost street cred either, I'm talking about grown , even old folks. One lady probably in her 50's told me about this little area in Rockville kinda behind were the post office and free state gas station is, was so bad, the police wouldn't even go there...people shooting, fighting, dice games etc..this was in the 70's / 80's...I know ghetto when I come across and I've meet some ghetto ass people from Stewartown, Emery Grove etc... All I'm saying is most places in America have hoods and again, I don't know anything about that dude Logic, but you should learn more history of a place before you really say you know it..

Old 11-22-2014, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
+2 This is true. The culture here is very hostile to swagger-jacking or biting.

And also, Let Me Clear My Throat by DJ Kool is another Hip Hop classic from the DMV as well. One has to be either oblivious or a total mook to think DC or the DMV region in general doesn't have its Hip Hop scene. Trust and believe it does, it's just that it takes a backseat to GoGo (though that seems to be changing a bit lately). Some of my favorite local Hip Hop artists are Phil Ade, Lyriciss, RAtheMC, Lightshow, Wale, Pro'Verb, Black Cobain, Oddisee, etc. And plus, GoGo has been incorporated in some of the most popular and iconic songs of the past decade, and even a couple of well known Hip Hop tracks back in the '80s. Other than R&B, Soul, Gospel, Punk, Classical, and Jazz, the overall music culture here in the DMV has been and still kinda is on the underground side of things. Plus, DC did introduce the world to Quiet Storm (has influenced the sounds of many R&B/Soul/AC artists and songs and Moombahton (major worldwide following in the underground House scenes). Gotta keep telling people on C-D not to sleep on the music scene out here in the DMV. No it's not New York or LA or whatever, but it's still it's own distinct special "something" and most of us here in the area are okay with that and take great pride in it. In closing, accents, fashion, slang, state of mind, and music, we have our own sh1t. So stop wellin.

*drops the mic.

P.S. That second paragraph wasn't directed at you MD lol.
This guy really has no clue where he is. I remember in high school going to house parties and you only played straight GoGo. If a party played hiphop, you were a straight bamma. I remember riding around the city, you didn't blast hiphop from your car or people would go on you. This really was a different place! I think things have changed a lot in the last 8 years though, DC has accepted the rest of the nation for the first time I can remember. I remember when you would be a bamma for wearing fashion brands outside of the local DC designers like Madness, City Life, HOBO, Shooters, and WeR1 etc. etc. If this guy had seen what we mean by we didn't accept the rest of the nation, he would know why there was no hip hop scene here. You were a bamma if you tried to be a rapper. Only the lead talkers of the Gogo bands which is basically a rapper got any love in DC. You can't develop of scene that isn't popular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland