Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 03:44 PM

13,687 posts, read 15,595,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post
Gaithersburg is just like where I live in Columbia. Stop sugarcoating the bullsh!t. And this "worst ghetto out there" line doesn't make sense. The hood is the hood everywhere you go and the suburbs are the suburbs. Where I live in Columbia had a couple shooting just this weekend. But it's still a safe soft suburb where rich white people and their culture are the normative standard.

Police identify man shot in Columbia apartment on Thanksgiving - Baltimore Sun

But Montgomery County is shockingly white in culture and demographics in most parts of the county. Most of Montgomery County is so white that the very few minorities I know from MoCo outside of Silver Spring and Wheaton were adopted by white parents when they were only a few months old. And these are self-hating racial minorities raised by rich white people who try to outwhite the whitest of rich white MoCo kids by getting more whiteboy wasted than them for their entire teens and 20's. African immigrants and their children easily outnumber native black people in most parts of MoCo. Section 8 in MoCo is laughable. I have never seen a crime ridden rundown Section 8 area in MoCo. Some of the nicest highrise apartment allow a few "Section 8" applicants in Bethesda, but it ain't Queensbridge, Magnolia in the N.O., Jordan Downs in Watts or Sunnydale in SF. There is nothing hood about MoCo, just stop it.

Ummm....you may want to check some census data. Gaithersburg High school is over 80% minority. Watkins Mill is over 85% minority. The white students that attend Gaithersburg high school don't even live in Gaithersburg. They are bused from Laytonsville and Damascus all the way down to Gaithersburg because Montgomery County Public Schools distributes free and reduced meal (FARM) students across county schools for diversity. If school boundaries just included Gaithersburg, the school would be almost completely minority. You should look at the school zone to see the makeup and educate yourself.

Gaithersburg High School Demographics (White = 19.7%) *and almost none live in the City of Gaithersburg
http://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/d...ools/04551.pdf

Watkins Mill High School Demographics (White = 12.6%)
http://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/d...ools/04545.pdf

Last edited by MDAllstar; 12-03-2014 at 04:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 10:33 AM

961 posts, read 2,017,211 times
Quote:

As a lifelong Hip Hop fan who actually grew up in the hood in California, I find Logic's farce filled depiction of Gaithersburg as the same type of "mad city" as a place like Compton or East Baltimore to be completely disrespectful to Rap music as a genre and a slap in the face to anybody who has lived in an American ghetto. Places where young children have higher incidences of post-traumatic stress disorder than soldiers at war. I am in Baltimore city every week of the year driving and walking through blocks where the murder risk is more than nine times the national average.
e
My first thought on reading this thread title was how sometimes posts on here give the impression that Wheaton, Langley Park, Gaithersburg, Silver Spring, etc seem like Compton. Forget Logic, you see that here all the time in those "Is xxxx safe?" threads.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:43 AM

961 posts, read 2,017,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
This statement is a bit of a stretch. I recall listening to rap growing up and the last thing on my mind was social justice. Perhaps for a few underground rap artists, those messages were prevalent to those social issues. But if you listen to the most popular rap music out there today, it is offensive, immature, inaudible at times, and simple-minded. If anything, today's rap music is an indication that the genre as regressed into a form of foolishness and lack of intellect. That's what is getting airplay these days.

I'd think twice before hitching rap music to anything dealing with raising the social consciousness of this generation. If anything, it has worked against it.

1. It's perfectly legitimate for music to be "simple". Music can be "intelligent" but just plain bad or boring. Music can also be simplistic or shallow as far as philosophical jewels but still entertaining.

2. You may be older than me and a better authority on this, but my understanding is that hip-hop was not always just only a social consciousness thing. Wasn't there a lot of elements about block parties, bright colors, the Adidas and the fine girls? Is this something really that new? Many hip-hop fans act like they are above listening to a song they deem superficial because it's not like back in the day, yet many songs back then were just as superficial if that's the criteria one is using.

3. Why don't other genre's ever get attacked for being superficial? Dance? Pop?

Old 12-04-2014, 01:21 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,336,335 times
Quote:
Gaithersburg is just like where I live in Columbia. Stop sugarcoating the bullsh!t. And this "worst ghetto out there" line doesn't make sense. The hood is the hood everywhere you go and the suburbs are the suburbs. Where I live in Columbia had a couple shooting just this weekend. But it's still a safe soft suburb where rich white people and their culture are the normative standard.

Police identify man shot in Columbia apartment on Thanksgiving - Baltimore Sun

But Montgomery County is shockingly white in culture and demographics in most parts of the county. Most of Montgomery County is so white that the very few minorities I know from MoCo outside of Silver Spring and Wheaton were adopted by white parents when they were only a few months old. And these are self-hating racial minorities raised by rich white people who try to outwhite the whitest of rich white MoCo kids by getting more whiteboy wasted than them for their entire teens and 20's. African immigrants and their children easily outnumber native black people in most parts of MoCo. Section 8 in MoCo is laughable. I have never seen a crime ridden rundown Section 8 area in MoCo. Some of the nicest highrise apartment allow a few "Section 8" applicants in Bethesda, but it ain't Queensbridge, Magnolia in the N.O., Jordan Downs in Watts or Sunnydale in SF. There is nothing hood about MoCo, just stop it.
Thank God so MoCo maybe spared from a similar fate that has befallen other communities that have a high concentration of low income African-Americans.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:13 PM

15 posts, read 37,983 times
Lol, sure Montgomery county doesn't have any "real" hoods, but it still doesn't change the fact that just because someone doesn't get murdered in a neighborhood once in a decade doesn't mean that there still isn't assault, arrests, robberys etc. Trust me, Ive been to some places in moco that are worse than dc lol. Im from NE too and always went to my cousins house in SE, they are worse but sorta equivalent to for example maple avenue in Takoma park. Definitely not as bad or even close to SE but still has **** going on.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:49 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,032,740 times
I got a good laugh just reading the title of the thread!

Old 02-20-2015, 11:28 AM

1,736 posts, read 1,761,047 times
Gaithersburg isn't exactly a dump but there is plenty of Section 8 housing there confined to where Logic happens to have grown up. This is why poverty in Montgomery County is growing. The County government's inclusionary housing policies have ruined the middle class in these areas. There is a reason why many choose to raise kids in the suburbs, not in the cities where Section 8 tends to be more prevalent.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:16 PM

631 posts, read 1,388,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
Gaithersburg isn't exactly a dump but there is plenty of Section 8 housing there confined to where Logic happens to have grown up. This is why poverty in Montgomery County is growing. The County government's inclusionary housing policies have ruined the middle class in these areas. There is a reason why many choose to raise kids in the suburbs, not in the cities where Section 8 tends to be more prevalent.
So youre saying that MoCo was ruined by the MDPU program???

Old 02-20-2015, 10:18 PM

1,736 posts, read 1,761,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedBro82 View Post
So youre saying that MoCo was ruined by the MDPU program???
Pretty much. It's hard to deny that rezoning neighborhoods to accommodate low income housing has had a negative effect to anyone who wants to buy a home.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:57 AM

15,395 posts, read 25,641,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
Pretty much. It's hard to deny that rezoning neighborhoods to accommodate low income housing has had a negative effect to anyone who wants to buy a home.
That's not because the program is negative. It's because of home buyers who think like you do. They have a false perception of who lives in MPDU homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland