Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 08:17 PM
ehs ehs started this thread

341 posts, read 2,296,899 times

Advertisements

Gathersburg MD seems to be a very picky town? Why? We were there and stopped at red light but the wheel passed the line one foot, but then we got a traffic ticket, saying we pass the intersection on red light. They even quote the MD traffic regulation saying across the line is violation.

Am I the only one, or many of you have got traffic tickets like this?

I had all the good impression on Gathersburg MD before and ended on this traffic ticket, the town seems to be getting very picky... right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 08:36 AM

25 posts, read 116,679 times
I had an incident in Rockville with an officer dressed in plain clothing. I was farther out in the intersection and caught there when the light turned green for the other traffic. This woman came flying up yelling and screaming like she'd lost her friggin mind. She got what she'd come for too, an azz chewing by yours truly.

I don't know what it is, but cops up here seem to have something to prove. I was pulled over yesterday in Gaithersburg by a cop who followed me from the time I got onto to 270S to the time I turned off of Quince Orchard. Again a plain clothes cop, who had nothing better to do then follow me. Why? My windows are fully tinted and I guess he wanted to know who was inside the SUV. He literally followed me until I made turn off Quince Orchard at which time he put on his lights and 'cautiously' approached to say I couldn't make a left turn where I did. I told him that's funny I did not see a sign indicating that I could not turn there. He claimed it was a big sign in the middle of the median. I said, Hmmm I did not see it and I guess that car ahead of me did not see it either because they just turned here too. Sorry. He said 'okay' and got back in his car and left. Nothing to see here officer...the tint is just to keep the car cool in the summer...I don't care for police.

Old 06-06-2007, 03:08 AM

Thanks for sharing the info. I got the citation also at Gathersburg, at the intersection of 614 and 190. I received a letter with 3 pictures (as evidence) that I did not stop in time behind the line when light turned red.

My car did stop at red, but pass the line but not the green island. That is to say, my car was at safe spot. at around 6am when NO cars on both streets as the pictures also shown.

I have paid the $75 fine since the other option would be drive down to court. So, I wrote them a comment and tell them this "uncivilized system". Apparently, they pick out of state car, knowing it would cost much more than $75 to come down to court to contest.

So, what is "civilized way"? A civilized way would be send a letter with picture and "explaning this differnce of traffic regulation, as informational" and may be saying hopefully it would not happen next time tourists visit the town.

Or you should at least give out of state tourist an option other than "physically be your court" to appeal or plea no guilty.

I told them my driving record is clean, and I should be top 1% best driver in this country, statistically. So, if even driver like myself got this upset feeling, your system is far from civilized.

And, I too also mention (before seeing yours) that I feel they seemed have too much budget of police department hiring too many staff but no more important things to do but pitts off out of state drivers.

Well, not sure if they will pay attention to my comment, but at least I share my feeling and ways they can improve if they want.

Old 06-06-2007, 03:20 AM

By the way, before driving thru this intersection, we were at IHOP to have breakfast and saw dozen cops there having breakfast as well, and that also make me believe Police at Gathersburg may have been "overstaff".

This may be good for Gathersburg (how safe is Gathersburg?), but where the budget come from? With my ticket, I feel may be each year they make lots of money from innocent out of state drivers?? (anyone can prove or disaprove?)

One night I was at Philly, I saw lots of cops too, and one community near John Hopskins Univ, even a huge of trailer of cops (first time seen). But those towns, as far as I know, are not safe, so you see cops all over the place.

However, my impression that Gatherburg has been very safe, not sure if it as safe as Edison NJ (top 10 safest town in the US), but I am sure it is very safe town, know it has lots of Chinese population by huge Chinese supermarket and Chinese Dim Sin restaurant next to Summerfield Suites.

So, if it is safe, why you need so many cops?

Old 06-06-2007, 07:01 AM

57 posts, read 247,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehs View Post
Thanks for sharing the info. I got the citation also at Gathersburg, at the intersection of 614 and 190. I received a letter with 3 pictures (as evidence) that I did not stop in time behind the line when light turned red.
If you got the citation at the intersection of 614 and 190, then you weren't anywhere close to Gaithersburg. 614 (Goldsboro Rd.) and 190 (River Rd.) intersect in Bethesda, about 1 mile to the Potomac river and DC line. You weren't very close to Gaithersburg.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:05 AM

57 posts, read 247,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehs View Post
By the way, before driving thru this intersection, we were at IHOP to have breakfast and saw dozen cops there having breakfast as well, and that also make me believe Police at Gathersburg may have been "overstaff".

This may be good for Gathersburg (how safe is Gathersburg?), but where the budget come from? With my ticket, I feel may be each year they make lots of money from innocent out of state drivers?? (anyone can prove or disaprove?)

One night I was at Philly, I saw lots of cops too, and one community near John Hopskins Univ, even a huge of trailer of cops (first time seen). But those towns, as far as I know, are not safe, so you see cops all over the place.

However, my impression that Gatherburg has been very safe, not sure if it as safe as Edison NJ (top 10 safest town in the US), but I am sure it is very safe town, know it has lots of Chinese population by huge Chinese supermarket and Chinese Dim Sin restaurant next to Summerfield Suites.

So, if it is safe, why you need so many cops?

The only IHOP in Gaithersburg is on 355, near East Diamond Ave., Lakeforest Mall, and Montgomery Village. That is considered to be the "bad" area of town, much might explain the higher police presence.

Old 06-06-2007, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjp4 View Post
If you got the citation at the intersection of 614 and 190, then you weren't anywhere close to Gaithersburg. 614 (Goldsboro Rd.) and 190 (River Rd.) intersect in Bethesda, about 1 mile to the Potomac river and DC line. You weren't very close to Gaithersburg.
That's great info, and I am very happy to hear that it is not at Gathersburg MD since we have visited the town often for past dozen years, like it very much.

I just double check my citation, the sender is MCPD Automated Traffic Enforcement Program Gathersburg MD 20898, and may be that's the reason I thought I got it at Gathersburg.

We had breakfast at Gathersburg IHOP before heading toward DC Zoo, following GPS, had no idea which towns we passed by.

So, the picky town is not Gathersburg MD... I guess.

Old 06-06-2007, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjp4 View Post
The only IHOP in Gaithersburg is on 355, near East Diamond Ave., Lakeforest Mall, and Montgomery Village. That is considered to be the "bad" area of town, much might explain the higher police presence.
Really?! We happened to be there was because we missed the hotel Hyatt Summerfield Suites Gathersburg that told us no room after midnight, while we coming from Atlantic City and IHOP was 24 hours. I saw many cops there and thought may be a safe place to just park and sleep and rest for a while, besides, kids want to use restroom.

You could be right because there are lots of garbages in the parking lot, but I have picked up all the garbage and clean the whole place off.

However, I also saw the garbage pick up truck came to sweep the parking lot later in early morning when we were having breadfast there.

Is that the one near Chuck E Cheese Gathersburg? We were there often and the Border bookstore. Up to now, for past many years we never had any problem with that area...

Again, thanks for correcting the picky town name... At least I am glad to hear that Gathersburg is continue to be a good town to visit and stay while in DC area... After all Summerfield Suites are our 1st choice, especially, the one in Gatherburg since it is across street of the mall has Chinese Dim Sim restaurant, and down the road, Chuck E Cheese and Border, and this time we found IHOP...

Old 06-07-2007, 09:45 AM

25 posts, read 116,679 times
I got a citation in Rockville when I first moved here with my car and they had not updated the system and the citation went to NC and did not get forwarded to me until the second notice with a $25 fine came with it.

Still have not paid it...I disputed it and they gave me some bologna about it, haven't paid and that was 2 years ago.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:20 AM

That's good to hear that, but I have paid the $75 any way since they gave only two choices:

1. Plea Guilty and pay $75.
2. Plea NO Guilty and come to court.

and as you know the "transaction cost" of going to court is far higher than $75.

If they are civilized, they should have more choices:

3. I plea no guilty, but I would contribute $75 to settle.
4. I plea no guilty, and here is my reason to be seen by judge in court. So I can dispute over email rather than physically be there.

I think they have some room to improve in terms of civilization, and may be human rights.

Also, from your case, it also shows that the "pick out of state cars" intentionally, knowing the "transaction cost" to come to court is too high. I have found, in general, Americans have the tendency to take advantage of strangers and non local people or newbies. e.g. our condo association would charge new buyer $500 "membership fee", it is one time, and the board claim explicitly in annual meeting that "...then we would not have any one will disagree...". Who knows the "decision meeting" of Mongomergy County, these folks said? But, I am pretty sure the decision maker could have said something like "... we could make lost of money from out of state drivers with this system since it would cost them much higher to dispute physically in our court ... and of course, we may just waive the local violators to avoid huge amount of disputes ..."

That's the reason, I thought it is not civilized, although the website and system looks very high tech.

But, I will keep in mind that was Bethesda, not Gathersburg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland