U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 11:01 AM

8 posts, read 34,570 times

Advertisements

I lived in Laurel for a number of years. The area is slowing improving but still has a long way to go. The auto crime and theft is fairly high. I would definitely recommend Columbia, but try to be selective (not Longreach). Good luck and ask lots of questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 11:12 AM

350 posts, read 1,490,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilkester View Post
One apartment complex I would stay away from in Laurel is Tall Oaks. It's just off of Maryland 198 and I believe it's across from the fire station. I delivered mail there a couple times and I was very glad to get done and get out of there. I didn't feel safe at all in that complex.

From what I know of Columbia, Columbia is likely to be more expensive than Laurel though it definitely has a much nicer mall, bike lanes along the roads, Toby's Dinner Theater and Meriweather Post Pavilion (they have outdoor concerts there).

A new apartment complex of sorts in Laurel is Ashbury Courts. It has only been open 2 or 3 months. It doesn't have the greatest location but, it is new. I can't tell you if it's very nice inside or not.
I don't know about all of the apartments in Columbia, but my brother lived in the Island Club apt. on Columbia Rd, and they paid around $1300 for a three bedroom. This was a year or 2 ago. He recently moved into a bigger building near the hospital (lost a roommate) and is paying $1200 for a really nice 2 bedroom.

$1500 for a one bedroom is absurd.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:41 PM

14 posts, read 66,087 times
Thank you br and jessy. I have decided to focus more on Columbia. The apartments there are several hundred less and the area I chose (near the mall) seems to be nice enough. I know no property or area will be perfect.

I wonder if both of the new apartment complexes in Laurel will actually fill up charging such high rents?

Old 01-15-2008, 03:42 PM

14 posts, read 66,087 times
Thanks for the warning mom2boys37!

Old 01-16-2008, 10:13 AM

42 posts, read 176,855 times
Default Laurel isn`t that bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by br1027 View Post
I lived in Laurel for a number of years. The area is slowing improving but still has a long way to go. The auto crime and theft is fairly high. I would definitely recommend Columbia, but try to be selective (not Longreach). Good luck and ask lots of questions.
Where in Laurel did you live?

Old 01-22-2008, 02:23 PM

4 posts, read 13,590 times
I live in Laurel and love it... I'm down the street from the mall on Contee Rd. I think the bad comments are coming from people who judge PG county as a whole, and it's not all that bad. There are good and bad areas wherever you go, and Laurel is GOOD. There's tons of restaurants and shopping, and I think you would feel very comfortable here.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:45 PM

42 posts, read 176,855 times
That`s what I know.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:06 AM

1 posts, read 4,055 times
Talking Apartment help from a Laurel native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhennie View Post
I am looking to move to Laurel in the next month or two. I saw an apartment complex I really liked called Westchester at Cherry Lane across from the mall. Does anyone know whether this is a safe area? Would I be better off in Columbia or Ellicott City?

Thank you for any help you might be able to provide!
Hey, don't listen to that guy. Laurel is a great place to live. Convenient location and it's safe. You are directly inbetween DC, Baltimore, and Annapolis...what's better than that????!!! Everywhere you go is not going to be the safest-I have lived in Laurel my entire life off of Whiskey Bottom and I love it. It's not as "ghetto" as some people say and it's really being built up!!!!

I do love Columbia and Ellicott City but you can't get affordable prices there.....and I looked at the apartment you are looking to move to and WOW, I think I want to move there, too! Good luck!!!! Hope everything works for you!!

Old 02-26-2008, 11:38 AM

41 posts, read 199,655 times
Columbia is nice, but Laurel is very nice as well. I am in that area all of the time and never feel unsafe. I don't know what the one poster was talking about. I would live in Laurel.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:45 PM

123 posts, read 378,668 times
Default Class snobbery

For someone to feel truly unsafe in Laurel they have to be very paranoid about crime. I've heard and read about more crime in Columbia than I have in Laurel, both from news reports and from individuals. I have never really had the feeling of wariness or uncertainty about how secure I am in my surroundings in Laurel either; I have had that feeling in certain areas of Columbia.

I think the difference in some peoples' perceptions is due to the fact Laurel still isn't as wealthy or white-collar as Columbia or other suburban towns in this area of MD. It actually has more of the look of a realistic town than many of the others and that includes a tiny bit of grit that some people seem to immediately think of as 'unsafe'. Also, it's one of the last towns in suburban MD. to have so far retained it's own small town feel, to some degree. People are really stretching crime fears to be worried about Laurel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland