U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2008, 10:13 PM

2 posts, read 6,617 times

Advertisements

Hey I know we already have a thread/opinions page on the National Harbor, however the question I pose is a little more specific. By the way all opinions are welcomed on this question weather positive or pessimistic. Thank you.

So what is the consensus on the NationalHarbor project from PG residents (other peopleís input is welcomed as well)? I reside in Upper Marlboro and I still have mixed feelings on the projects in terms of its economical implication. I do believe itís going to bring in a lot of business as it is the most expensive conventional center on the east coast rounding out to $2.1 billion and when itís all said and done in a few years it is suppose to top off at $5 billion. Anytime a project is that expensive you better believe that it will be well maintained, secured and not ruined.

The place is practically a city of its own as it sits on 300 acres. The Prince George's Conference and Visitors Bureau is ecstatic about what its going to do for the PG economy. The NationalHarbor will apparently employ 30% of its work force from PG. Also Gaylord has donated a generous amount of money to the hospitality program at PG community college. The Gaylord Hotel has also already booked over a million rooms which is an industry record!

You would have to think that a lot of this business will overflow into the heart of PG. But Iím not exactly quite sure how I feel about it yet, in terms of PG reaping major economic benefits from the NationalHarbor. The question that Iím stomped on is will these businessmen who come for conventions for the National harbor perhaps just stay at other hotels in PG that are cheaper then the five put up at the Harbor? I would imagine the rates for those Hotels are outrageous probably surpassing $200 a night. So will they turn to cheaper but nice PG hospitality, in say Largo, Capital Heights, etc which will then in turn support our other businesses such as dining, town centers (BLV Cap), etc.

If this is the case that would be great for our town, I know for a fact that there are a ton of hotels directly off of exit 15b who are probably banking on National Harbor business to increase their occupancy and sales. Iím worried that as a town we might be putting to much faith in the NationalHarbor in terms of what it will provide for us.

A lot of this business from the NationalHarbor will be going to D.C. as well. I donít quite understand why D.C. is shaking in their boots about this project as I image it will help them too. They wonít see any of that tax money though as the Harbor is located in PG, but it should still help them out. At this point I see near by major business competition vital for D.C. growth. Who Knows I think Iím kind of getting off topic here.

Back to the original point; how do you guys think PG hotel/lodging hospitality (which is the heart and in turn will boost other types of businesses around them) will fair? Will the NationalHarbor cause the market value and occupancy to lower, stay the same, or increase?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 08:44 PM

2 posts, read 6,617 times
Default harbor

Ok so the real reason I'm so interested is because I have a friend who wants me to invest some money into a hotel project located around the oxyn hill, largo, capital heights area. and he keeps telling me how much the harbor will benefit us. He already has 8 others and needs the back of two more before we go through we this, I'm still apprehensive. So whats yours input good investment or bad investment, please help! thank you.

Old 01-11-2008, 04:28 PM

217 posts, read 686,237 times
Read back into the history of PG county for "cure all" plans to save the economy. The track record is not as stellar as it may seem. The new Redskins stadium was supposed to employ several but how many employees can there actually be there? All of the proceeds from various lottery games goes where?
Most of the traffic that goes in and out of NH will be because of DC - why else would anyone come to this area? It's not as if there is a plethora of delights to entice most to hang out in PG county. Can anyone name one other than visiting relatives from out of town?.

Are you seeking the magic answer to whether a boom in hoteliers will follow as a result of National harbor?
Consider the needs of the region and ask why more hotels would have to be built. Will there be that great of spillover from NH to justify such?

I have a friend who is a surveyor and wonders what the surrounding infrastructure will be. It is a behemoth in need of years of land sculpting and stands naked on the bank of the river unlike any other. One of the plans I saw was to build housing around it. Let's see how that will play out. I would not want to live close to something such as that. How many huge centers such as that do you find in neighborhoods? There are existing houses in the shadow of it as is. Query those residents about it.
Some things to consider...the Holiday Inn down in Solomon's Island does a lot of business - they rent out their conference rooms quite often for weddings, conferences, class reunions and whatnot. They have a different atmosphere down there opposed to what will be "Exit 1-B" off the beltway.
The waterfront complex built on the river in Georgetown enjoys success because of location. The same can be said for the inner harbors of both Baltimore and Annapolis.
I would find it positive for NH to be wildly successful but have reservations of the anticipation of good tidings planned to roll downhill onto the residents of PG county. If we are hosting it we should reap from it. Most of the high dollar employment is going to come from Gaylord itself leaving the assorted maintenance and housekeeping positions - unskilled labor - to the surrounding MD, VA and DC residents.
One on my questions - Is my quality of life going to be affected because that is being built some 7 miles away?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland