Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 10:29 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,664,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
Or the other way around.
True. I'm secure enough to appreciate the perspective. Not knocking professional men, just stating my personal preference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 08:04 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely40 View Post
Good point. I'm a very educated, well-traveled, attractive lady and am mostly attracted to blue-collar men. They balance me out and keep me grounded. They have a down to earth realness that I admire. I come from a family of hard working men who got their hands dirty earning a living to take of family. To turn my nose up at a blue-collar man, would be like turning my nose up at my daddy, uncles, my brothers, etc. And they love hard. When they get a great lady, they work extra hard to keep her. Similar to how they've had to work hard to keep everything they've ever worked for. I guess what I'm saying is blue-collar men have a passion that most take for granted. This makes them extra special in my opinion. Frankly, while they look good on paper and the whole power couple thing is intriguing, I just haven't met a professional man that quite does it for me. Yet.
I went south for my spouse. And your post reminds me of her father. Nothing fancy. Just a simple hard working man who's been on the job for 30+ years. Comes home every evening. Goes to church every Sunday. Can hold a conversation about current events, etc.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:27 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely40 View Post
Good point. I'm a very educated, well-traveled, attractive lady and am mostly attracted to blue-collar men. They balance me out and keep me grounded. They have a down to earth realness that I admire. I come from a family of hard working men who got their hands dirty earning a living to take of family. To turn my nose up at a blue-collar man, would be like turning my nose up at my daddy, uncles, my brothers, etc. And they love hard. When they get a great lady, they work extra hard to keep her. Similar to how they've had to work hard to keep everything they've ever worked for. I guess what I'm saying is blue-collar men have a passion that most take for granted. This makes them extra special in my opinion. Frankly, while they look good on paper and the whole power couple thing is intriguing, I just haven't met a professional man that quite does it for me. Yet.
I love your perspective. That is the mindset that is needed more in this region. There is a lot more to a man than what he does for a living. These superficial things that people often look at are fleeting and can change at the drop of a dime. What do you have left when the worst comes to worst? Your master's degree or your fancy car isn't going to make you a better person, so why focus on things like this.

My wife has a similar background as you. Although I am a professional man, my dad was a blue collar worker. He instilled some basic principles in us about how we should treat ourselves and what kind of woman we should look for. I never thought for a moment that my degree or my profession should entitle me to women. I knew I needed a woman that was genuine, had common interest with me and was going to be a good mother. Not enough professional men look for this, instead they look for women that are enamored with their status. I am a believer that you will get what you give back. If you are focused on superficial things, you will find a man focused on superficial things, but if you looking beyond those things, then you will find someone that has much more to offer in a relationship that will make it a long lasting one.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:00 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,562,959 times
I guess the final analysis is....if you are a black woman in the D.C. area trying to date either open up your mind or be content with dick and popcorn.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:26 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,417,247 times
*Who in the hell works for a company for 30+ years anymore?!! That is ludicrous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I went south for my spouse. And your post reminds me of her father. Nothing fancy. Just a simple hard working man who's been on the job for 30+ years. Comes home every evening. Goes to church every Sunday. Can hold a conversation about current events, etc.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:30 AM

*I've dated so many dumb highly educated Black women who don't know the time of day it is. All they care about is Scandal, Beyounce', who's who at the current happy hour and etc.. INCREDIBLE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Lol exactly.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:31 AM

Black women are dating and marrying each other!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
I guess the final analysis is....if you are a black woman in the D.C. area trying to date either open up your mind or be content with dick and popcorn.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:31 PM

24 posts, read 34,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
I love your perspective. That is the mindset that is needed more in this region. There is a lot more to a man than what he does for a living. These superficial things that people often look at are fleeting and can change at the drop of a dime. What do you have left when the worst comes to worst? Your master's degree or your fancy car isn't going to make you a better person, so why focus on things like this.

My wife has a similar background as you. Although I am a professional man, my dad was a blue collar worker. He instilled some basic principles in us about how we should treat ourselves and what kind of woman we should look for. I never thought for a moment that my degree or my profession should entitle me to women. I knew I needed a woman that was genuine, had common interest with me and was going to be a good mother. Not enough professional men look for this, instead they look for women that are enamored with their status. I am a believer that you will get what you give back. If you are focused on superficial things, you will find a man focused on superficial things, but if you looking beyond those things, then you will find someone that has much more to offer in a relationship that will make it a long lasting one.
It's funny that men do not find it superficial to judge a woman based on her relative attractiveness. I've never heard a guy say, I'd prefer date the chubby, unattractive girl and pass up the attractive, thin woman who is demanding.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:48 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gia2342 View Post
It's funny that men do not find it superficial to judge a woman based on her relative attractiveness. I've never heard a guy say, I'd prefer date the chubby, unattractive girl and pass up the attractive, thin woman who is demanding.
I don't disagree about those things being superficial, but I thought we were talking about woman's guide to dating, not men?

Old 03-05-2015, 04:47 PM

24 posts, read 34,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
I don't disagree about those things being superficial, but I thought we were talking about woman's guide to dating, not men?
The point is, it's hypocritical for Black men to lambaste professional Black women for wanting a man with similar professional attributes. The guys who criticize Black professional women for being too darn "selective" and "demanding" are often the very same ones who are only interested in dating/marrying a certain type of woman. Why won't those guys just settle for the nice, overweight single mom who works at CVS?

Why are most guys only interested in women who are inshape and attractive? Again, what is wrong with the nice, polite, hard working overweight women? Disclaimer: I happen to be a size 4, but I've witnessed a number of my friends experience rejection because they weren't deemed attractive enough or because their skin shade was considered too dark...

Pot meet kettle...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland