U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 02:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,445 times

Advertisements

I am new to this thread and forum but I am curious to find out what will happen to all these new and hip developments when the economy goes south

I mean what will happen to National Harbor, Konterra, Woodmore, etc., when people max out their credit cards and HELOC. We - as a nation - have built up record level of debts and eventually someone will have to pay it. Can people afford to eat out everynight? Can people afford $400K for 900 sqft luxury condo? Can people afford to buy $5K HDTV anymore?

This recession will affect everyone but more so PGC. The reason I think is because PGC was a day late on the development side. Most of the major developments started in 2004 or 2005. YES, at the peak of the housing bubble. They tried to cash in on the boom but jumped late and completely missed the train. Now we will have to wait and see what will happen next.

Last edited by 7th generation; 03-02-2009 at 03:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 12:00 PM

1,389 posts, read 5,672,704 times
No PG county is growing. The county is attracting more companies then any other county in Maryland. People can not afford a single family home in Montgomery County but you can come to Pg county and afford a brand new single family home in a nice community with good school. I think the county is getting better.

The area that is most declining at a fast pace are those counties that were growing during the housing boom. Now the prices are falling at a faster pace in those areas.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:56 AM

2,051 posts, read 2,598,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post
No PG county is growing.

Not exactly:

Census Finds Pr. George's Population Shrinking
Census Finds Pr. George's Population Shrinking - washingtonpost.com

Last edited by 7th generation; 04-30-2008 at 05:11 PM.. Reason: please provide a link so we don't get into copy right issues. thanks

Old 04-27-2008, 01:49 PM

1,389 posts, read 5,672,704 times
The county is growing. The County is growing in Amenities,upscale shopping,dining and jobs. The Federal government and PG county officials are in talks in bring in more federal jobs and departments to the County. The Federal government will put 9 Billion dollars in Developing AAFB. They will extend the air force,build single family,townhomes,condos and a new shopping center. So people can work,live and play all in one area.

The County is growing. What the county is attracting is higher income families.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:35 PM

57 posts, read 264,857 times
Default putting this lie to rest...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Ithacan View Post
Not exactly:

Census Finds Pr. George's Population Shrinking
This has been shown to be completely inaccurate. The Census uses formulas to approximate populations and they consistently low-ball both Prince Georges and Montgomery Counties every year. My guess is that they use extrapolation from pre-2000 growth rates. If you want to know what the populations actually are, ask the people at MNCPPC, since they are the ones that in charge of planning (i.e. residential development) for both counties. Hint: PG has been growing in population every year this decade.

The county is obviously expanding in population. All you have to do is look at all the new retail. Big-money investors don't take out commercial loans to build retail if they can't fill the stores with tenants. The increase in the county's commercial base (particularly outside the beltway) is the most obvious "tell" when it comes to the question of whether or not the population is growing. I've already staked my claim, but the simple fact is that there are people that control billions, and they have chosen to invest their billions in the County. Like the old saying goes: follow the money.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:40 PM

563 posts, read 783,874 times
Believe me it's fact! Those that had lost their minds moving to P.G. county are getting out! And those when they are able to... are running as fast as they can. The last of the "flight" are making their way out. Lived in P.G. county for 20 years with the last 3 being the victim of crime 3 times and yes Beltsville is outside the beltway-16 years in beautiful Anne Arundel county without one incident. I wouldn't recommend to my worst enemy to move, reside, live in that county. It's bad enough to pass through on Rt.50 5 days a week.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:22 AM

1 posts, read 2,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthhurts View Post
[URL="http://www.brookings.edu/reports/1999/07washington_center-on-urban-and-metropolitan-policy.aspx"]A Region Divided: The State of Growth in Greater Washington, D.C. - Brookings Institution[/URL]

[URL="http://www.urban.org/publications/407425.html"]Poor People and Poor Neighborhoods in The Washington Metropolitan Area[/URL]

Turborg, I cannot seem to find a lot of data prior to 1990. At one point i was able to, but I have since lost those links. I'd be curious to compare the county from 1960 to present day and see what the differences are. From most of what i've read about the county it started off as an "affordable housing" area outside of the beltway. Starting in the 1960's a large group of whites that lived in South East DC begin moving into the "affordable housing" within the inner beltway. Later in the 1980's middle class blacks begin moving out of DC and into the outer beltway. I've also read they were followed by poorer blacks in the late 80's and early 90's that moved into the new vacated formely poor white areas, such as District Heights, Fairmont Heights, Cheverly, Landover Hills, and Temple Hills etc. Is this history sound about right? If so this is why i have a hard time believing at any point PG was ever on par with Montgomery County. Moco has always been fairly affluent and always far more affluent than PG. I believe the same with Fairfax. However, hopefully i can find data to see if this is true or not.

You have not even been into any of these cities. So tell me, how are you suppose to judge anything that is going on anywhere except for where you are currently staying? Your mind is so narrow that you cannot face the facts that people are telling you. Have you been to D.C.? Have you been to Baltimore County? Have you been to Baltimore City? How about Virginia? North Carolina? Pennsylvania? If you have not been to anyplace I stated, or even the places you have stated, you can not judge what goes on. Take it from a presidents point of view, Kennedy stated in his inaugural address "let every other power know that this Hemisphere intends to remain the master of its own house." And I think you need to take that advice be the master of where ever you stay, and let us be the master of where we stay.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:28 AM

673 posts, read 820,979 times
Outer beltway of PG is full of mcmansions. And very rural in the southern part of the county
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland